Old 02-08-2003, 06:15 PM
NWalch

Default Treating Railway Sleepers

I have created raised beds using railway sleepers cut to size and
fixed vertically. The cut ends are starting to turn white as they
weather.

What can I treat them with as I like the previous dark colour.

I tried the new 'safe' creosote but it soaked it in and I used two
mugs full on just one sleeper end and it was not very dark, no where
near as dark as the sides of the sleepers.

Regards

Nick
Old 02-08-2003, 09:23 PM
ned

NWalch wrote:
I have created raised beds using railway sleepers cut to size and
fixed vertically. The cut ends are starting to turn white as they
weather.

What can I treat them with as I like the previous dark colour.

I tried the new 'safe' creosote but it soaked it in and I used two
mugs full on just one sleeper end and it was not very dark, no where
near as dark as the sides of the sleepers.

I'm sure your local friendly garage would let you have some old sump
oil. I used it on a shed and never needed to treat it again.
:-) Ignore the howls of "You're not supposed to do that!" It works.

--
ned

Old 03-08-2003, 11:03 AM
Mike Lyle

"ned" wrote in message ...
NWalch wrote:
I have created raised beds using railway sleepers cut to size and
fixed vertically. The cut ends are starting to turn white as they
weather.

[...]
I'm sure your local friendly garage would let you have some old sump
oil. I used it on a shed and never needed to treat it again.
:-) Ignore the howls of "You're not supposed to do that!" It works.

Right on! The farmers mix creosote and sump-oil: looks great. There's
also stuff called "black tar varnish", with which I did my shed: it
soaks in, leaving the wood still looking like wood, and also dries on
metal.

Mike.