Old 12-05-2005, 08:44 AM
Derek Turner

Jupiter wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:20:57 +0000, undergroundbob
wrote:

Or if you're not hungry, you could use my trusty cat/magpie deterrent
technique - sturdy catapult and a jar of hazelnuts.

Cracks me up to see a cat jump so high.

Bob

Yes - a good idea and not many legal pitfalls. Mind you, the
old-fashioned 'garden gun' (20 bore shotgun) would be useful!

garden guns are not 20-bore nor any where near! they take a number 3
cartridge (.177 is No1, .22 No2, 9mm is No3) most garden guns fell foul
of regulations which set a minimum barrel and over-all length for legal
smooth-bore weapons. There are still a few of the longer ones about,
though ammo (being brass-cased) is very expensive. Need a part-two FAC
to buy/own one.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:43 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Derek Turner somewhat@odds contains these words:

garden guns are not 20-bore nor any where near! they take a number 3
cartridge (.177 is No1, .22 No2, 9mm is No3) most garden guns fell foul
of regulations which set a minimum barrel and over-all length for legal
smooth-bore weapons. There are still a few of the longer ones about,
though ammo (being brass-cased) is very expensive. Need a part-two FAC
to buy/own one.

In my collection I've a No.1 bore shot cartridge...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 12-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Derek Turner

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
There are still a few of the longer ones about,
though ammo (being brass-cased) is very expensive. Need a part-two FAC
to buy/own one.

In my collection I've a No.1 bore shot cartridge...

how many pieces of what size shot does that hold, i wonder?!
Old 12-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Derek Turner somewhat@odds writes:

| In my collection I've a No.1 bore shot cartridge...
|
| how many pieces of what size shot does that hold, i wonder?!

It was called dust shot, though I can't tell you how big it was.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from Derek Turner somewhat@odds contains these words:

garden guns are not 20-bore nor any where near! they take a number

3
cartridge (.177 is No1, .22 No2, 9mm is No3) most garden guns fell
foul of regulations which set a minimum barrel and over-all length
for legal smooth-bore weapons. There are still a few of the longer
ones about, though ammo (being brass-cased) is very expensive.

Need
a part-two FAC to buy/own one.

In my collection I've a No.1 bore shot cartridge...

Wow! A one-pounder punt gun! Imagine the cloud of black-powder
smoke... Curious to think that those scary monsters once made
economic sense.

--
Mike.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Chris Bacon

Mike Lyle wrote:
Wow! A one-pounder punt gun! Imagine the cloud of black-powder
smoke... Curious to think that those scary monsters once made
economic sense.

Gunpowder wasn't dear. Lead isn't. A couple of dozen birds at
one go would have been possible...
Old 12-05-2005, 01:45 PM
BAC

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Mike Lyle wrote:
Wow! A one-pounder punt gun! Imagine the cloud of black-powder
smoke... Curious to think that those scary monsters once made
economic sense.

Gunpowder wasn't dear. Lead isn't. A couple of dozen birds at
one go would have been possible...

If you haven't already seen it, you might find
http://www.puntgunner.co.uk/index.htm
of some interest, especially the photographs.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Derek Turner somewhat@odds writes:

In my collection I've a No.1 bore shot cartridge...

how many pieces of what size shot does that hold, i wonder?!

It was called dust shot, though I can't tell you how big it was.

I'm disappointed: I assumed 1-gauge would mean the bore would
accommodate a 1-lb ball.

--
Mike.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

There are still a few of the longer ones about,
though ammo (being brass-cased) is very expensive. Need a part-two FAC
to buy/own one.

In my collection I've a No.1 bore shot cartridge...

how many pieces of what size shot does that hold, i wonder?!

Quite a lot of dust shot, I'd expect.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from Derek Turner somewhat@odds contains these words:

garden guns are not 20-bore nor any where near! they take a number

3
cartridge (.177 is No1, .22 No2, 9mm is No3) most garden guns fell
foul of regulations which set a minimum barrel and over-all length
for legal smooth-bore weapons. There are still a few of the longer
ones about, though ammo (being brass-cased) is very expensive.

Need
a part-two FAC to buy/own one.

In my collection I've a No.1 bore shot cartridge...

Wow! A one-pounder punt gun! Imagine the cloud of black-powder
smoke... Curious to think that those scary monsters once made
economic sense.

There is a difference between a No.1 bore, and a 1-bore.

The shot load for a No.1 bore is (at a guess) around 10 grains - if
that; and for a 1-bore, something a bit less than a pound of shot.
(Though some of the muzzle-loading 'ones' could be stoked-up with more
powder and shot, quite significantly.

Old 12-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Derek Turner

Mike Lyle wrote:

I'm disappointed: I assumed 1-gauge would mean the bore would
accommodate a 1-lb ball.

it would, as my 16-bore accommodates an ounce. there is a vast
difference between No.1 (.177 inch) and 1-bore/gauge. see my post above.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Jupiter

On Thu, 12 May 2005 08:41:02 +0100, Derek Turner somewhat@odds
wrote:

Jupiter wrote:

Having eaten chicken wings tonight, the little pile of bones on my
plate gave me ideas about the pigeons. Big fat sitting targets in my
cherry tree.
Apart from a .22 BSA Meteor or similar, I doubt there's any way of
deterring these crop destroyers. I think it's legal to shoot them,
but does anyone know differently and is there any other way of
deterring them?

The problem with an air-gun is that you need a back-stop (unless your
garden is hundreds of yards long. What's behind your cherry tree?

Plum and pear trees, then about 30 feet of open space, a pond, a 2
metre wooden fence and the end wall of a house. Probably unsuitable
unless I got above the cherry tree by utilising a bedroom.

Woodies are quite tough little buggers, when decoying we try to get them
with 30yds, and that's using a 12-bore shotgun. To answer your questions
seriously, wood pigeons may be shot at any time of year under a general
licence, if they are damaging crops (and when aren't they?) so yes it is
legal to shoot them. I know of no way to deter them - even the
ubiquitous 'gas-guns' (for which your neighbours would not thank you)
are ignored after a few days if not moved around the fields. If you have
an air rifle, and can position yourself so as to be firing into the
ground or other 'soft' backstop then, short of applying for a part-two
FAC and getting a .410 it's probably your best option. Do you know
anyone with a .410 who might oblige? (I am assuming a suburban/urban
situation with buildings around where a 12-bore would be inappropriate).

Old 13-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Jupiter contains these words:

The problem with an air-gun is that you need a back-stop (unless your
garden is hundreds of yards long. What's behind your cherry tree?

Plum and pear trees, then about 30 feet of open space, a pond, a 2
metre wooden fence and the end wall of a house. Probably unsuitable
unless I got above the cherry tree by utilising a bedroom.

I could only use my airguns from an upstairs window or the
bathroo^H^H^ablutions block roof (
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/hsefront.jpg ) - my garden's a
longish, thin strip with (ATM) some small cypress trees at the bottom,
and beyond that, off the loke, a loakling which I can't see on account
of the conifers, and on which I could very easily shoot my neighbours'
children as they play should a pellet go beyond my boundary.

In fact, I've only fired an air gun once on the property, and that was
to plug a rat which made the mistake of observing meticulous
timekeeping, so I was able to set an ambush (seeds available on
request...) with a pump-up air pistol.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

How to annoy the pigeons? Steve Harris United Kingdom 25 03-06-2018 07:37 AM
Wood pigeons K United Kingdom 18 05-02-2013 08:49 PM
punishment for greedy neighbors presley Gardening 16 13-08-2005 08:16 AM
Pigeons [email protected] United Kingdom 16 05-06-2003 09:19 AM
Bush's greedy pollutopn will hurt us all!!! jake alt.forestry 1 17-12-2002 09:09 PM