Old 16-05-2005, 07:10 AM
Brian Watson

"martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:02:36 +0100, MM wrote:

On Sun, 15 May 2005 17:09:43 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Of course, you'd get about 150 cubic
metres of Anglian water for that kind of money instead, but it's the
idea of getting something for nothing that appeals.

Have you worked out how much 20 cubic metres of water weighs?

Or how much the petrol will cost to get it home? Or how much the container
to hold it will cost?

Waste of time and money, I call it.

--
Brian
"Reality rarely lives up to TV, usually because reality has a smaller budget

Old 16-05-2005, 01:41 PM
MM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 07:10:38 +0100, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Of course, you'd get about 150 cubic
metres of Anglian water for that kind of money instead, but it's the
idea of getting something for nothing that appeals.

Have you worked out how much 20 cubic metres of water weighs?

Or how much the petrol will cost to get it home? Or how much the container
to hold it will cost?

Waste of time and money, I call it.

You don't fancy the Good Life, then?

MM
Old 17-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Brian Watson

news
wrote:

Have you worked out how much 20 cubic metres of water weighs?

Or how much the petrol will cost to get it home? Or how much the container
to hold it will cost?

Waste of time and money, I call it.

You don't fancy the Good Life, then?

I have the good life.

:-)

--
Brian
"I'd like to be a bit taller and thinner and have more hair and a bigger

Old 17-05-2005, 09:18 AM
jane

On Mon, 16 May 2005 07:10:38 +0100, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

~
.. .
wrote:
~
~ Of course, you'd get about 150 cubic
~metres of Anglian water for that kind of money instead, but it's the
~idea of getting something for nothing that appeals.
~
~ Have you worked out how much 20 cubic metres of water weighs?
~
~Or how much the petrol will cost to get it home? Or how much the container
~to hold it will cost?
~
~Waste of time and money, I call it.
~

Yes, but in a country which is heading for hosepipe bans due to a
shortage of clean water this summer, surely getting water directly
from a dyke will be much greener, as it's not been expensively
purified, saves using drinking water and is in any case gradually
making its way to the sea?

If it's not far away, and therefore not much in the way of petrol,
then surely it's a good idea? Especially if it's fun!

jane, who had a lot of fun wiring up her lottie shed to a water butt
the other week. Course it's hardly rained since... typical!

Old 17-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Brian Watson

wrote:
~Waste of time and money, I call it.
~

Yes, but in a country which is heading for hosepipe bans due to a
shortage of clean water this summer, surely getting water directly
from a dyke will be much greener, as it's not been expensively
purified, saves using drinking water and is in any case gradually
making its way to the sea?

If it's not far away, and therefore not much in the way of petrol,
then surely it's a good idea? Especially if it's fun!

Except it's taking something that isn't yours.

--
Brian
"Anyway, if you have been, thanks for listening."

Old 17-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Brian Watson" writes:
| "jane" wrote in message
|
| Yes, but in a country which is heading for hosepipe bans due to a
| shortage of clean water this summer, surely getting water directly
| from a dyke will be much greener, as it's not been expensively
| purified, saves using drinking water and is in any case gradually
| making its way to the sea?
|
| If it's not far away, and therefore not much in the way of petrol,
| then surely it's a good idea? Especially if it's fun!
|
| Except it's taking something that isn't yours.

You do that whenever you draw breath.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Brian Watson" writes:
"jane" wrote in message

Yes, but in a country which is heading for hosepipe bans due to

shortage of clean water this summer, surely getting water

directly
from a dyke will be much greener, as it's not been expensively
purified, saves using drinking water and is in any case

gradually
making its way to the sea?

If it's not far away, and therefore not much in the way of

petrol,
then surely it's a good idea? Especially if it's fun!

Except it's taking something that isn't yours.

You do that whenever you draw breath.

And in any case, as we have seen, he's entitled to 20m^3 a day.
Anybody taking bets on how long he keeps it up?

--
Mike.

Old 18-05-2005, 07:14 AM
MM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:57:46 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Brian Watson" writes:
"jane" wrote in message

Yes, but in a country which is heading for hosepipe bans due to

shortage of clean water this summer, surely getting water

directly
from a dyke will be much greener, as it's not been expensively
purified, saves using drinking water and is in any case

gradually
making its way to the sea?

If it's not far away, and therefore not much in the way of

petrol,
then surely it's a good idea? Especially if it's fun!

Except it's taking something that isn't yours.

You do that whenever you draw breath.

And in any case, as we have seen, he's entitled to 20m^3 a day.
Anybody taking bets on how long he keeps it up?

Hang about! I've yet to buy a stirrup pump! As for Watson saying
'Except it's taking something that isn't yours", how prissy can one
be? We have already established that the EA allows it up to 20 cubic
meters a day!

MM
Old 18-05-2005, 07:10 AM
MM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 08:18:30 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2005 07:10:38 +0100, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

~
. ..
wrote:
~
[...]

Ah, Jane, butts! I am thinking of getting one and piping it into the
downpipe from the guttering around my house. Apparently B&Q do a
contraption to redirect the rainwater into the butt which one can fit
into the downpipe somehow. What sort of a job is it? I am a very
effective DIY person!

MM
Old 18-05-2005, 01:04 PM
pammyT

(jane) wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2005 07:10:38 +0100, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

~
.. .
wrote:
~
[...]

It is very simple indeed. I got one supplied with my water butt. All you
have to do IIRC is cut through the downpipe and put the diverter in place
and realign the downpipe sections.
However I have been pondering this. If one needs the water from the butt,
to water your garden during dry spells, how will the butt get filled in the
first place if the garden is dry because of a dry spell??
Here in my old cottage in the fens, I have a bell shaped water collector
underground.
It was made to catch the rainwater off the roof. I suppose if you have an
older house in the fenland area, you will have such a thing somewhere near
the house also. You could always fit a pump on the top, one of those with a
handle you have to pump with. Be a nice feature aswell as environmentally
friendly.

--
purebred poultry
www.geocities.com/fenlandfowl

Old 18-05-2005, 08:20 PM
shazzbat

(jane) wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2005 07:10:38 +0100, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

~
.. .
wrote:
~
[...]

When it rains, it waters the garden *and* fills the butt. Then when it's a
dry spell, you've got a butt full of water.

If it's a long dry spell, you're toast. And so are your plants.

Steve

Old 18-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Mike Lyle

shazzbat wrote:
"pammyT" wrote in message

[...]
However I have been pondering this. If one needs the water from

the
butt, to water your garden during dry spells, how will the butt

get
filled in the first place if the garden is dry because of a dry
spell??

When it rains, it waters the garden *and* fills the butt. Then when
it's a dry spell, you've got a butt full of water.

If it's a long dry spell, you're toast. And so are your plants.

I'm going to keep on saying this till I'm green in the face. Most
plants in most situations in most parts of the British Isles in most
years (maybe decades) do not need watering once they're established.
You plant them properly in the first place in properly prepared soil,
mulch as necessary, and just let them grow.

--
Mike.

Old 19-05-2005, 12:16 PM
jane

(jane) wrote:
~
~On Mon, 16 May 2005 07:10:38 +0100, "Brian Watson"
wrote:
~
~~
~~"martin" wrote in message
~~ On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:02:36 +0100, MM wrote:
~~
~~On Sun, 15 May 2005 17:09:43 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:
~~
[...]

I found it fairly easy - the only downside to the diverter I got was
that it was one that requires only a very slight downward gradient to
the butt. If no gradient, the butt wouldn't fill, and if too large the
excess came out the butt lid. Took mm precision and a roll of duck
tape. Which I can recommend for anything involving guttering...

I've also got two types of diverter - you'll need fixed pitch font
here! One's

| |
| |
|\ |
| \ ___ _
| \ ___ _
| \|
| |

where the sloping bit can be set upright by a lever to let water go
into the drains. You attach a hose to the outpipe, and it will work
over quite a distance but does not automagically redivert to the drain
if the butt's full

The other's more

| |
| |
| |
|| ||___ _
|| | ___ _
\| |/
| |

so once the butt is full, the water backs up the pipe and any more
water is forced over the inner ring and back down the drain. As I said
above, the outflow pipe has to be very precisely positioned for this
to work! I have two butts wired to this one (they're space savers, ie
narrower and so don't block the path at the front of the house as a
full diameter one would. More expensive per gallon than bog standard
butts and you need two for the same volume of water, but they look
quite good. I've got a window box balanced across the lids of mine).
erm url...
http://www.gonegardening.com/xq/ASP/...op/product.htm
I didn't get mine from them - this was just a google to illustrate.

Both of these diverters are round cross-section - I've seen square
ones but have no idea how you make the seal properly for normal
circular drainpipes.

Good luck

--
jane