Old 15-05-2005, 04:42 PM
davout

Default Suggest some alternatives?

I've been trying to find the following plants for a planting scheme I'm
following, but none of the local stores stock them.

Nectaroscordum siculum
Smyrnium perfoliatum
Tanacetum panthenium

Would anybody like to suggest some alternatives?

This is a for large bed under trees in mottled shade.

Old 16-05-2005, 10:17 AM
davout

It's a bed 3m deep x 7m wide sited under some large mature rhodos.

The bed slopes up from front to back slightly, with the area at the back
riven with large tree roots.

I'm looking for planting ideas for the areas towards the middle and back of
the bed.

Soil? I'm a beginner to gardening so can't really say, though the earth is
very dry being under these trees

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
"davout" wrote:

I've been trying to find the following plants for a planting scheme I'm
following, but none of the local stores stock them.

Nectaroscordum siculum

Nice thing the 'honey garlic' There are several colour variants and a
wide range of prices! It does better and flowers more freely in full
sun BTW Try:

http://www.dalesidenurseries.co.uk

Smyrnium perfoliatum

Are you sure you really want to plant this? It is the larger southern
European form of our native 'alexanders' and is a bit of a brute.
Growing to nearly 5 feet it can pose problems if allowed to spread.
They've been ripping it out at Kew because it shades out native
bluebells preventing them from ripening. It seems to be spreading
down here and unless controlled, I foresee it becoming quite a
problem. It is a biennial BTW flowering in its second year and then
dying. Therefore it should be sown from seed

Try http://www.secretseeds.com

Tanacetum panthenium

I think you mean Tanacetum parthenium - 'feverfew'. Again it is
usually grown from seed, but most garden centres stock small plants in
their herb section. Again it performs best in full sun, but will
tolerate some shade

I suspect there are much better alternatives for the site, but we need
to know a bit about the soil (heavy clay, light sandy etc - is it
filled with tree roots?) and your approximate location (north west -
south east, exposed coastal, sheltered inland etc. etc. ) before
making suggestions.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.