Old 18-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Ed

Default Hose connection question

Dear all

Just bought a new hose, but the thread on the tap connection is
slightly different to the thread on my outdoor tap, so it sprays
everywhere.

What is the best way around this? I presume the thread on the hose
connector is standard and the tap I have is old and sh1te. The hose is
too thin to go over the tap nozzle, so I cant just go for the old
jubilee clip around the hose trick.

Are there adapters for this kind of thing, or do I need to replace the
tap

Cheers
Ed

Old 18-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Set Square

Ed wrote:

Just bought a new hose, but the thread on the tap connection is
slightly different to the thread on my outdoor tap, so it sprays
everywhere.

I don't quite understand. The thread is unlikely to be *slightly*
different - unless one is of foreign origin - it will either be the same or
completely different.

If completely different, it won't screw on at all.

If the same, it may possibly not screw on far enough - allowing water to
leak through the threads. If this is the case, use a thicker (or additional)
rubber washer inside the fitting.

If I'm missing the point, upload a photo somewhere and post a reference to
it here.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Old 18-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Ed

It really seems to be slightly different. The thread in the black
plastic thing from B&Q looks slightly wider than the one on the tap. I
cant screw it on any tighter, even though it ooks like it should go on
further. I am loath to break it by forcing it.

Old 18-05-2005, 11:57 AM
mrcheerful

"Ed" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear all

Just bought a new hose, but the thread on the tap connection is
slightly different to the thread on my outdoor tap, so it sprays
everywhere.

What is the best way around this? I presume the thread on the hose
connector is standard and the tap I have is old and sh1te. The hose is
too thin to go over the tap nozzle, so I cant just go for the old
jubilee clip around the hose trick.

Are there adapters for this kind of thing, or do I need to replace the
tap

Cheers
Ed

just wind in a new tap, they are cheap as chips really

Old 18-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Stuart

On 18 May 2005 03:17:10 -0700, "Ed" wrote:

It really seems to be slightly different. The thread in the black
plastic thing from B&Q looks slightly wider than the one on the tap. I
cant screw it on any tighter, even though it ooks like it should go on
further. I am loath to break it by forcing it.

I bought a tap connector recently for a friend and I have also seen
them in Homebase and you get two different fittings slightly different
sizes .like these
http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=2158

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=2175
Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Old 18-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Ed B

Thanks - however they supplied both with this hose. The large one looks
like it should be right, but just isnt.

Old 18-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Stuart

On 18 May 2005 05:44:49 -0700, "Ed B" wrote:

Thanks - however they supplied both with this hose. The large one looks
like it should be right, but just isnt.

Outside taps I have seen have a bit that unscrews but I don't know
what thread size it leaves when you take it off .Does yours or is it
missing . .Looks like you might neeed a new tap fitted .
Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.
Old 18-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Stuart

On Wed, 18 May 2005 14:12:01 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

On 18 May 2005 05:44:49 -0700, "Ed B" wrote:

Thanks - however they supplied both with this hose. The large one looks
like it should be right, but just isnt.

Outside taps I have seen have a bit that unscrews but I don't know
what thread size it leaves when you take it off .Does yours or is it
missing . .Looks like you might neeed a new tap fitted .
Stuart

Does yours look like this chappie.
http://www.midken****er.co.uk/servic...outsidetap.htm
Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.
Old 18-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Ed

Yes, I unscrew the end of the tap and that is where the offending
thread is. And iirc the tap is a dodgy bodge job so I wont be able to
simply unscrew it and replace it without a bit of pipework

Old 18-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Chris Bacon

Ed wrote:
Just bought a new hose, but the thread on the tap connection is
slightly different to the thread on my outdoor tap, so it sprays
everywhere.

Make sure the rubber washer is in place, and suitable.You might need
different or thicker one.

What is the best way around this? I presume the thread on the hose
connector is standard and the tap I have is old and sh1te.

The tap is very likely indeed to have a standard thread, no matter
how old (well, at least 1/2 a century). If the plastic connector
goes on without splitting or the threads being chewed up, that's
not the problem.

The hose is
too thin to go over the tap nozzle, so I cant just go for the old
jubilee clip around the hose trick.

Can you warm the hose up to expand it? You'll probably need a gas
flame, used carefully. Your cooker or hob would do.

Are there adapters for this kind of thing, or do I need to replace the
tap

It sounds as if you've got two already (3/4" and 1" BSP)!

Old 18-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Set Square

Stuart wrote:

On 18 May 2005 03:17:10 -0700, "Ed" wrote:

It really seems to be slightly different. The thread in the black
plastic thing from B&Q looks slightly wider than the one on the tap.
I cant screw it on any tighter, even though it ooks like it should
go on further. I am loath to break it by forcing it.

I bought a tap connector recently for a friend and I have also seen
them in Homebase and you get two different fittings slightly different
sizes .like these
http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=2158

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=2175
Stuart

The ones you quote fit taps with 3 different output thread sizes - 1/2"BSP
(using adapter), 3/4"BSP and 1"BSP. These are all sufficiently different
that there's no way in which the wrong one would *nearly* fit.

I'm still struggling to understand what sort of tap the OP has got.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Old 18-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Mike Lyle

Chris Bacon wrote:
Ed wrote:

[...]
The hose is
too thin to go over the tap nozzle, so I cant just go for the old
jubilee clip around the hose trick.

Can you warm the hose up to expand it? You'll probably need a gas
flame, used carefully. Your cooker or hob would do.

Hot, not boiling, water, I'd say. But that won't help if the tap has
a screw thread on the outer end, which seems to be what we're talking
about. I think there's something funny about the thread on either the
tap or the hose-connector. Maybe Ed should borrow a couple of hoses
from neighbours for comparison.

--
Mike.

Old 18-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Ed B

Perhaps I'm just being a **** and the thing really should fit, but I
spent a good half hour last night trying to screw it on without cross
threading it. When screwed on as hard as possible it still squirts
everywhere, suggesting the plastic bit is too big for the tap I have.

Will try again tonight and perhaps take some pix

cheers all

Old 18-05-2005, 05:03 PM
David Lang

Hi Chris
The tap is very likely indeed to have a standard thread, no matter
how old (well, at least 1/2 a century). If the plastic connector
goes on without splitting or the threads being chewed up, that's
not the problem.

Dead right. All threaded taps are BSP threads, even in Europe. In 30 years
of connecting pressure washers to taps I've never found a domestic tap that
wasn't 3/4" BSP.

In industry you occasionally find 1" and rarely 1/2", but as you say, they
are chalk & cheese.

It almost has to be 3/4" BSP which means the adaptor may be faulty - bad
moulding or something. Try another one!

Dave

Old 18-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Sue Begg

In message , David Lang
writes
Hi Chris
The tap is very likely indeed to have a standard thread, no matter
how old (well, at least 1/2 a century). If the plastic connector
goes on without splitting or the threads being chewed up, that's
not the problem.

Dead right. All threaded taps are BSP threads, even in Europe. In 30 years
of connecting pressure washers to taps I've never found a domestic tap that
wasn't 3/4" BSP.

In industry you occasionally find 1" and rarely 1/2", but as you say, they
are chalk & cheese.

It almost has to be 3/4" BSP which means the adaptor may be faulty - bad
moulding or something. Try another one!

Dave

I have just connected up an outside tap and put a double adapter on it
to run hoses to two different areas. I have used PTFE tape (think that's
right ? ) because I had water squirting out. I still have a very slow
drip, but it is manageable and certainly worth a try
--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!