Old 21-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Robin McInnes

Default Hosepipe Question

Hi,

I bought a hosepipe years ago, (a LOT of years ago, now I come to
think...), which was of the then very popular 'flat' variety. It was an
excellent buy, and has given me years of trouble-free use. It is still
fully serviceable and leak-free, and I use it all the time without any
problems for straight watering.

And, of course, being made of nylon fabric it is also very light and
compact. I can't remember the name of the hose system, but I think it
was Hydro-something. (The label is no longer on mine.)

Anyway, my problem is that I want to use one of those Miracle Gro plant
feeder attachments on it, but they are fitted with a male Hozelock
connector.

Now, this old hosepipe of mine seems to use a sort of 'reverse-Hozelock'
system in that the hose ends are male, and that any spray-guns, nozzles
or other attachments need to have a _female_ connector in order to fit
on the end of the pipe. With the plant feeder I am faced with needing to
join two male connectors together:- the feeder and my hosepipe end.

The ideal solution would be a Hozelock 'Double Female' connector, but
they do not seem to do them at all, and I'm a bit lost as to how to proceed.

I would buy a new hosepipe with the Hozelock connectors the 'right' way
around, but I can't seem to find any of those light, convenient and
compact flat hosepipes anywhere either, and I don't really want a heavy
conventional one if I can help it.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how I can overcome my male/male problem
at all please, without getting a conventional hosepipe?

(And, in passing, does anyone know why they seem to have stopped selling
the flat-type hoses?)

Cheers,
Robin McInnes
Cheshire, UK

(Email address contains a spam-trap. Remove it to mail me.)
Old 21-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Mike Lyle

Robin McInnes wrote:
[...]

You might get an ordinary Hozelok-style connector, cut your hose a
foot from the end, and rejoin it with the connector. Then, when you
want to attach the plant feeder, you can just undo one end of the
connector and attach there. ***This will only work if your hose will
actually _take_ Hozelok connectors, of course, so proceed with
caution! I don't want to be responsible for making your hosepipe
useless.***

No idea about the other question, I'm afraid.

--
Mike.

Old 22-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Robin McInnes

Chris Wilson wrote:

Can you not connect two conventional female Hozelock connectors together
with a (say) 6 inch length of ordinary hose, thus forming a double ended
female connector?

Chris,

Thanks for that idea. I am sure that it will work, it was just it's
relative un-elegance that put me off doing it. (Ideally I would have
liked like just one connector to link the pipe and feeder, but what the
hell...)

Mike,

Unfortunately, the ends of my flat hose terminate in a permanently
fitted rigid circular hard plastic collars, which are what take all the
attachments. Cutting an end of the pipe off to fit a Hozelock end
connector would mean that it would no longer have it's rigid end piece,
and I would be reluctant to do that. Good idea otherwise though, thanks.

Cheers,
Robin McInnes
Cheshire, UK

(Email address contains a spam-trap. Remove it to mail me.)

Beat the hosepipe ban! dyofix Marketplace 2 02-05-2006 01:32 PM
Hosepipe ban Stan The Man United Kingdom 33 23-06-2005 09:31 PM
Hosepipe Maart United Kingdom 5 17-06-2005 06:00 PM
Attaching a hosepipe to a tap without it leaking Andy Coleman United Kingdom 6 03-08-2003 12:09 PM
Good quality, reinforced hosepipe? Nath United Kingdom 2 04-03-2003 06:12 PM