Old 24-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Niall Smyth

Default cheap new mower or good second hand

hi all

would like a petrol mower but am not too flush

Should I get a second hand mountfied (or other good brand)
or a cheap new one (argos "mc cullough" job)

I have never had a petrol mower
What would i watch for?

BTW are the flymo compacting ones rubbish?

Regards

--
niall

Old 24-05-2005, 05:23 PM
Mike

Hi Niall

You really need to say what the circumstances are with regards to the grass
you wish to cut. Sloping bank of only a few yards near to the house?
Electric Flymo
Half an acre of rough grass? An Atco Petrol Rotoscythe
A Bowling Green Lawn? Never had one so don't know

The owners will soon advise after you have stated your lawn specifications

:-))

Mike
--
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past
H.M.S.Impregnable Ass. Sussex 1 - 4 July Visit to Int. Fest of the Sea

Old 24-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Niall Smyth

Thanks Mike

The garden is about 40foot square

I have a dirt cheap 30cm electric rotary and it does cut the grass,
but often I cant get a chance to do it as regularly as I should
So sometimes I am cutting 4" of grass, and the box is tiny
(two lines of the garden and its empty time)

The electric one struggles here and its patchy clumps a plenty!
The convenience of the petrol will see me cutting it more regularly also

can I hang a petrol mower or does it have to be kept flat?
(my shed is tiny)

Are petrols a maintenance nightmare?
I like the way my electric, just comes out of the shed
and back in it goes - thats it

Regards

--
niall

Old 24-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Chris Bacon

Niall Smyth wrote:
BTW are the flymo compacting ones rubbish?

Niall. If what you are referring to also have the words "Turbo"
and "Compact" associated with the word "Flymo", then I shall
appreciate it very much if you do not mention it again! Rubbish!
Old 24-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Spider

Niall Smyth wrote in message
news
Thanks Mike

The garden is about 40foot square

I have a dirt cheap 30cm electric rotary and it does cut the grass,
but often I cant get a chance to do it as regularly as I should
So sometimes I am cutting 4" of grass, and the box is tiny
(two lines of the garden and its empty time)

The electric one struggles here and its patchy clumps a plenty!
The convenience of the petrol will see me cutting it more regularly also

can I hang a petrol mower or does it have to be kept flat?
(my shed is tiny)

Are petrols a maintenance nightmare?
I like the way my electric, just comes out of the shed
and back in it goes - thats it

Regards

--
niall

Hi Niall,

I have two lawns, each more than 40ft.sq., one of them quite steep. I use
a Qualcast Panther 30 push cylinder mower (£35 last year). It is much
easier to get out and use than even an electric mower. If you cut the lawn
more regularly, you'll find a push mower copes perfectly well. It will also
keep you fit. You won't have to pay for petrol or electricity - neither
will the planet. It has an old-fashioned type collection box which is
perfectly adequate for your size of lawn *if* you cut it regularly. You
will probably find it much easier to maintain, too. It will store in a
small shed either hanging or flat. I would *never* go back to a powered
mower now.

Spider

Old 25-05-2005, 09:04 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Niall Smyth" wrote in message
news
Thanks Mike

The garden is about 40foot square

I have a dirt cheap 30cm electric rotary and it does cut the grass,
but often I cant get a chance to do it as regularly as I should
So sometimes I am cutting 4" of grass, and the box is tiny
(two lines of the garden and its empty time)

The electric one struggles here and its patchy clumps a plenty!
The convenience of the petrol will see me cutting it more regularly also

can I hang a petrol mower or does it have to be kept flat?
(my shed is tiny)

Are petrols a maintenance nightmare?
I like the way my electric, just comes out of the shed
and back in it goes - thats it

Regards

--
niall

Apart from putting fuel in I have never even had to put oil in mine its a 6
year old Honda, its never been serviced, these days the engines are great,
its the decks that rot out or crack, I have had to repair mine and I think
it's probably on its last season. Shame the engine starts half way through
the first pull every time. I suspect though a new deck and wheels will cost
as much as new mower!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 25-05-2005, 09:55 AM
JB

On Tue, 24 May 2005 18:32:19 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

I have a dirt cheap 30cm electric rotary and it does cut the grass,
but often I cant get a chance to do it as regularly as I should
So sometimes I am cutting 4" of grass, and the box is tiny
(two lines of the garden and its empty time)

... I use a Qualcast Panther 30 push cylinder mower (£35 last year).

I'll second that. I replaced a flymo with the Qualcast push cylinder
and it's far less work than the electric mower. The only problem I
find is that if the grass gets too long the mower wheels slip on wet
grass so the first cut can take more work (and if the grass gets long
it's usually because it has been wet)

JB
Old 25-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 24 May 2005 17:39:02 +0100, Niall Smyth wrote:

can I hang a petrol mower or does it have to be kept flat?
(my shed is tiny)

Petrols are heavy... and a fourstroke wouldn't like being kept in any
angle other than upright. The oil could drain to places it should get
and could cause serious engine damage when next started.

Are petrols a maintenance nightmare?

Not really, change the oil, check and clean the plug and air filter
each season. Everything else is the normal cleaning after use but:

I like the way my electric, just comes out of the shed
and back in it goes - thats it

it appears you don't do that... Steel rusts and in the intrests of
longevity a mower ought to be cleaned after use and possibly a wipe
over with an oily rag.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail