Old 27-02-2003, 12:31 PM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

Default American frost zones

I wish I could get that fact over to my son-in-law who is living in the
Boston area.
He complains that the grass keeps dying, but when I pointed out to him

that
it
may be because he cuts it flush with the ground, he refused to consider
that./////////////////////////////////////

Possibly influenced no doubt by his wife............Harold

Alan

Old 27-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from (Rodger Whitlock)
contains these words:

What planet is this?

Beam him back up to urg, Scotty :-)

Janet
Old 27-02-2003, 10:05 PM
Alan Holmes

"Anne Middleton/Harold Walker" wrote in message

I am told by an English seed merchant that a number of grasses grown in

the
UK are from seed produced in the USA ........ the summer climate in some
parts of the USA are not overly different from the UK.......(he purchases
seeds direct from the USA).......the typical watering requirement in the

USA
is an inch of water per week with an increase in the hotter
weather........(the only fools I know over here that water every day are
those that think a daily five minute sprinling/watering is
successful).......the less frequent watering forces the roots to go deeper
and is a preventative measure........the most common/popular/desirable

lawn
grass seeds in the USA turn brown in the summer's heat when cut too short
but remain green with a higher cut and using the same amount of water per
week........the once per week and twice per week in the real warm weather
gives a beautiful looking turf when cut high enough but very often results
in a brown one when cut too short..........did not many a home lawn in the
UK turn brown in the past year or so due to the hottish dry weather and
continued "bowling green length mowing?......HW

I rarely water my grass, and often during the summer it turns brown, but I
don't mind, it _always_ comes back green when the rain comes, I cannot
understand people who keep watering their grass, it always seems to me
to be a complete waste of water.

Alan

Old 28-02-2003, 08:39 AM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

I rarely water my grass, and often during the summer it turns brown, but I
don't mind, it _always_ comes back green when the rain comes, I cannot
understand people who keep watering their grass, it always seems to me
to be a complete waste of water.

Likewise re turning brown and recuperating in the autumn........not much
point in the minds of many in having brown stuff all summer long......might
just as well convert to zeroscaping....minimum water plants with summer
beauty......must admit the brown grass does not need cutting (good for couch
potatoes) whereas plants might need some summer care and not the thing for
the couch potatoes.........a bowling green would look lovely nice and brown.

Alan