Old 01-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Jupiter

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:59 +0100 (BST), (Steve Harris)
wrote:

In article ,
(Pam Moore) wrote:

Gardeners' delight

Absolutely, although this year, I'm also trying Black Russian, Yellow
Perfection and Tigerella

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

I'm trying Gardener's Delight for the first time this year. but I've
seen conflicting advice about side shoots. Should they be removed or
should the plant be allowed to bush?

Old 01-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Jupiter contains these words:

I'm trying Gardener's Delight for the first time this year. but I've
seen conflicting advice about side shoots. Should they be removed or
should the plant be allowed to bush?

Depends how far apart they are, and on whether you want a smaller number
of large tomatoes, or a lot more smaller ones.

Personally, I go for the latter, and seldom pinch out all the side
shoots from any tomato plant. You might need to feed them a bit more,
though.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 01-06-2005, 07:08 PM
Jupiter

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:00:06 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Jupiter contains these words:

I'm trying Gardener's Delight for the first time this year. but I've
seen conflicting advice about side shoots. Should they be removed or
should the plant be allowed to bush?

Depends how far apart they are, and on whether you want a smaller number
of large tomatoes, or a lot more smaller ones.

Personally, I go for the latter, and seldom pinch out all the side
shoots from any tomato plant. You might need to feed them a bit more,
though.

Thanks. I'll try it each way on different plants.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from (Steve Harris) contains these words:
In article ,
(Jupiter) wrote:

Gardener's Delight for the first time this year. but I've
seen conflicting advice about side shoots. Should they be removed or
should the plant be allowed to bush?

Conventional wisdom is to remove side shots.

I put that down to the gardening faction which always wants the biggest
and best-looking specimens for showing (off). I've tried it both ways,
and as I sold the tomatoes by the pound, I chose the more profitable
option.

Leaving some laterals on when well into the season increased the
eventual yield, and the slightly smaller later tomatoes had a more
concentrated flavour.

I used to have about 24 Alicante, 20 Ailsa Craig and 24 Shirley, most
years, and any excess seedlings planted out, with none of the
side-shoots pinched out.

The outside ones were divine: small, firm and packed with flavour, and
at the end of the season, there were plenty of green ones for chutney.
Mind you, the soil in the greenhouse and any beds was rather, er, rich,
as I had fourteen goats and a few hundred rabbits. Though I had poultry
too, most of them were free-range (on another site) and what chicken
shmanure I did collect went on the compost.

I had some excellent rhubarb, too.

Old 02-06-2005, 05:53 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Jupiter
writes

I'm trying Gardener's Delight for the first time this year. but I've
seen conflicting advice about side shoots. Should they be removed or
should the plant be allowed to bush?

Gardener's Delight can be either grown as a bush, i.e. leaving the side
shoots on, or as a cordon, pinching them out. The difference is the
number and size of tomatoes the plant will produce. G.D. can also be
grown indoors or outdoors. We have normally grown them as cordons
indoors and bush outdoors, mainly on grounds of space required, but this
year we are trying them outside as cordons. I planted out four of them
yesterday with their first trusses of flowers already showing, and all
side-shoots pinched out.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 27 May 2005 08:22:17 -0400, "Harold Walker"
wrote:

What do y'all on tother side of the big pond consider to be the best tasting
tomato(es)?

Just received July copy of GW mag. Monty's favourite varieties a
Andine Cornue, San Marzano 2 (never heard of those) Brandywine (Bob
Flowerdew has also recommended this) Black Russian and finally
Gardeners' Delight. Can't say if it tells us where to buy the seeds of
the unusual ones. Anyone know?

Pam in Bristol
Old 02-06-2005, 01:15 PM

my favourite tomato experiance so far (in my short growing experiance)
was last year have a tomato salad of yellow-orange sungella, orange-red
gardeners delight and red-pink tumbling toms. A feast for the eyes as
well as for the tum. From now on im going to try and get as much colour
and variety into my tomato crop as possible.
sarah

Harold Walker wrote:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

:: I really can't let that pass unremarked: Moneymaker, if given
:: loving care and lots of proper feed is almost edible, otherwise
:: it's about as appetising as a wet dishcloth. In my estimation it's
:: a weed.
::
Each to his own I suppose! - I like MM in cooked dishes, especially
curries
and chillis....I've grown Shirley this year and they are a good all round
tom, cooking, salads sandwiches etc - I've never actually grown MM, but
my
dad used to grow them on and off along with a few other varieties.

Try Romano (plum) tomatoes for cooking - they knock seven varieties of
spots off Moneymaker.

:: Shirley though, is excellent. Alicante (in the Moneymaker family)
:: is also IMO of good flavour. I don't like the little tomatoes much
:: as the skins tend to be very tough.
::

I like a tomato with a bit of tang, hence my recommendation for partially
ripened ones with melted cheddar!

Shirley has a tang (and flavour) when ripe, as does Ailsa Craig.

--
Rusty

Miracle Sweet has a real nice flavor sweetish but with just the right amount
of tang.........H
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 02-06-2005, 01:54 PM
Klara

In message , Pam Moore
writes

Just received July copy of GW mag. Monty's favourite varieties a
Andine Cornue, San Marzano 2 (never heard of those) Brandywine (Bob
Flowerdew has also recommended this) Black Russian and finally
Gardeners' Delight. Can't say if it tells us where to buy the seeds of
the unusual ones. Anyone know?

Pam in Bristol

Found this:

http://www.gardenpassion.cfdeveloper...m?recordID=164

looks like someone who doesn't sell seeds but trades them? In Hungary,
but that should be ok by post. They have an enormous number of tomato
and pepper seeds....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 02-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Theo Markettos

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
There's a new one coming onto the market called Zebra. I think it must
have spots on...

There was an item on You and Yours (R4) yesterday about the 'Strawmato'
which apparently looks like a strawberry but tastes like a very sweet
tomato. Recommended for eating with chocolate.

I think I'll pass, myself...

theo
Old 02-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Alan R Williams

Theo Markettos wrote:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

There's a new one coming onto the market called Zebra. I think it must
have spots on...

There was an item on You and Yours (R4) yesterday about the 'Strawmato'
which apparently looks like a strawberry but tastes like a very sweet
tomato. Recommended for eating with chocolate.

The blurb at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/ne...00/4597975.stm
is very odd. Lots of tomatoes can already be "eaten in salads, as a
snack on its own". Is this just an admission that a lot of tomatoes
sold in supermarkets are practically tasteless?

I think I'll pass, myself...

The chocolate sounds a good idea though.

theo

Alan

Old 02-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Mike Lyle

Alan R Williams wrote:
Theo Markettos wrote:

[...]
There was an item on You and Yours (R4) yesterday about the
'Strawmato' which apparently looks like a strawberry but tastes

like
a very sweet tomato. Recommended for eating with chocolate.

[...]
I think I'll pass, myself...

The chocolate sounds a good idea though.

I detest the idea that tomatoes should be sweet: sugar is not
flavour. But I did once experimentally make a sweet pie with tomatoes
and sugar, as one might with apples or plums etc, just to see what
it'd be like. It was horrible.

--
Mike.

Old 02-06-2005, 06:35 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Theo Markettos contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
There's a new one coming onto the market called Zebra. I think it must
have spots on...

There was an item on You and Yours (R4) yesterday about the 'Strawmato'
which apparently looks like a strawberry but tastes like a very sweet
tomato. Recommended for eating with chocolate.

I don't remember the 'sreawmato' bit, but I do remember hearing (very
recently) a recommendation of dipping cherry tomatoes in dark chocolate.

I think I'll pass, myself...

Yes. I prefer to dip crystallised ginger in the dark chocolate.