Old 30-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Brian Watson

Default Border bushes

"Stephen (Sausagefans.com)" wrote in message
Perhaps I should have not asked about Leylandii, it seems it might be
less than perfect for the job.

I would like to plant some bushes around the garden instead of errecting
a fence. The idea is that I can introduce rasberries/blackberries etc
to grow on our side of the bushes?

I would like to spend as little cash as possible!

Can anyone recommend anything?

Raspberries and gooseberries are both thorny and fruit-bearing and like a
bit of air through them.

You could fill in the gaps with red, black and white currants, especially if
you could train them sideways along a "posts and wires" boundary line.

Also blueberries should do well (on the basis that I'm in East Anglia too
and mine are growing really well)

--
Brian
"Anyway, if you have been, thanks for listening."

Old 30-05-2005, 04:57 PM
pammyT

"Stephen (Sausagefans.com)" wrote in message
Perhaps I should have not asked about Leylandii, it seems it might be
less than perfect for the job.

I would like to plant some bushes around the garden instead of errecting
a fence. The idea is that I can introduce rasberries/blackberries etc
to grow on our side of the bushes?

I would like to spend as little cash as possible!

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks
--
Obey, conform, consume
Break the cycle

Stephen, come over to Clifford cross's auction in Wisbech. You will be able
to get everything you want very cheaply indeed. In fact I doubt you'll get
it cheaper anywhere else.
I bought my raspberry canes for around 30p each but since they require me
to prune etc I dug them out and planted black currants and red currants
instead . Got those for about 35p each too.