Old 31-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Registered User

Default Friend or foe? Unknown insect-thing found in the garden...

I was edging my lawn, and there was an insect/grub/something a couple of inches under the soil that I turned up that I didn't recognise. Of course, I am a complete novice gardener, so it may be something common! But it wasn't in any of my (few!) gardening books, and I haven't found anything on the net. Perhaps somebody could help me?

It was about an inch long, shiny conker-brown, rounded at one end, and pointy cone-shaped (with distinct segments). The pointy end kept on swivelling round as if looking for something or wanting to burrow back down (but being on my trowel it had no luck).

So, what was it? And is it friend or foe?

Thanks in advance!
Old 31-05-2005, 11:29 PM
pammyT

-- "Garden puss" wrote in message

I was edging my lawn, and there was an insect/grub/something a couple of
inches under the soil that I turned up that I didn't recognise. Of
course, I am a complete novice gardener, so it may be something common!
But it wasn't in any of my (few!) gardening books, and I haven't found
anything on the net. Perhaps somebody could help me?

It was about an inch long, shiny conker-brown, rounded at one end, and
pointy cone-shaped (with distinct segments). The pointy end kept on
swivelling round as if looking for something or wanting to burrow back
down (but being on my trowel it had no luck).

So, what was it? And is it friend or foe?

Thanks in advance!

it is a chysalis of something. A moth of some kind perhaps?

Old 31-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Garden puss wrote:
I was edging my lawn, and there was an insect/grub/something a couple
of inches under the soil that I turned up that I didn't recognise. Of
course, I am a complete novice gardener, so it may be something
common! But it wasn't in any of my (few!) gardening books, and I
haven't found anything on the net. Perhaps somebody could help me?

It was about an inch long, shiny conker-brown, rounded at one end, and
pointy cone-shaped (with distinct segments). The pointy end kept on
swivelling round as if looking for something or wanting to burrow back
down (but being on my trowel it had no luck).

So, what was it? And is it friend or foe?

Thanks in advance!

I would say earwig, but then I would have thought that anyone would have
been able to recognise an earwig.

As we have nothing to go on (as the policeman said when he found someone had
nicked all the urinals. Come back tomorrow, folks, I'm here all week!) could
you give me some more info: -

1) Was it a beetle? Did it have a hard carapace?2) Could it fly? Were
its wings visible (i.

Old 31-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Kay

In article , Miss
Perspicacia Tick writes
Garden puss wrote:
[...]

It's what I've always known as a leather-jacket. larva or chrysalis of
something.

--
Kay

Old 01-06-2005, 02:18 AM
ned

"pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net wrote in message

-- "Garden puss" wrote in

message

[...]

I'd go along with that.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 27.05.2005

Old 01-06-2005, 07:23 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

It's what I've always known as a leather-jacket. larva or chrysalis of
something.

Crane fly.

Foe.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 01-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Chris Bacon

Garden puss wrote:
I was edging my lawn, and there was an insect/grub/something a couple
of inches under the soil that I turned up that I didn't recognise.

It was about an inch long, shiny conker-brown, rounded at one end, and
pointy cone-shaped (with distinct segments). The pointy end kept on
swivelling round as if looking for something or wanting to burrow back
down (but being on my trowel it had no luck).

I would say earwig, but then I would have thought that anyone would have
been able to recognise an earwig.

It's what I've always known as a leather-jacket. larva or chrysalis of
something.

A leather-jacket is a daddy long-legs grub, and IME always a dull,
matt muddy colour - be it an earwig? Don't think so! So, a chrysalis,
stick it in a jam-jar as in days of yore & wait & see...
Old 01-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Perspicacia Tick
Garden puss wrote:
[...]

* * *

Yup, I recognise earwigs! It definitely wasn't an earwig.

It did seem to have a fairly rigid outside - it really did look like the outside of a conker, shiny, brown, smooth - but it wasn't anything like I expect beetles to be like. It was cylindrical - no carapace, no wings (not even any legs).

FWIW, I've had a look at pictures for the suggestions so far, and I don't think it was a leatherjacket.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:17 AM
RichardS

Miss Perspicacia Tick Wrote:
Garden puss wrote:-
[...]

I'm familiar with them - often unearthed when digging around or clearing up
the nether parts of the garden.

Seems to be almost certainly a moth or butterfly chrysalis of some
description - do they look similar to this picture?

http://www.hortnet.co.nz/key/keys/in...cl/lba-pup.htm

You could always keep it in a suitable container covered with a little earth
and see what emerges...

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Old 01-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Kay

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from Kay contains these words:

It's what I've always known as a leather-jacket. larva or chrysalis of
something.

Crane fly.

Except what I know as a leather jacket isn't what everyone else knows as
a leatherjacket, so it isn't a crane fly.

This thing is probably chrysalis rather than larva, is bright shiny
brown, earwig colour, pointed at one end.
--
Kay

Old 01-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Kay

In article , Chris Bacon
writes
Garden puss wrote:
I was edging my lawn, and there was an insect/grub/something a couple
of inches under the soil that I turned up that I didn't recognise.

It was about an inch long, shiny conker-brown, rounded at one end, and
pointy cone-shaped (with distinct segments). The pointy end kept on
swivelling round as if looking for something or wanting to burrow back
down (but being on my trowel it had no luck).

I would say earwig, but then I would have thought that anyone would have
been able to recognise an earwig.

It's what I've always known as a leather-jacket. larva or chrysalis of
something.

A leather-jacket is a daddy long-legs grub, and IME always a dull,
matt muddy colour - be it an earwig? Don't think so! So, a chrysalis,
stick it in a jam-jar as in days of yore & wait & see...

well, that's why I said 'what I've always known as a leather jacket" - I
realise other people recognise a leather jacket to be other things.

Definitely not an adult earwig - the OP's description didn't include any
legs. Surprised no-one can identify it - if it's the thing I have in
mind (and the description is a very good fit), then they are not exactly
uncommon!
--
Kay

Old 01-06-2005, 12:38 PM
June Hughes

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from Kay contains these words:

It's what I've always known as a leather-jacket. larva or chrysalis of
something.

Crane fly.

Foe.

I always thought crane flies were daddy-long-legs but am willing to
stand corrected. Why are they foes?

Sounds more like a leatherjacket to me, and I thought they were foes.
--
June Hughes
Old 01-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 31 May 2005 23:29:49 +0100, "pammyT" fenlandfowl
@talktalk.net wrote:

It was about an inch long, shiny conker-brown, rounded at one end, and
pointy cone-shaped (with distinct segments). The pointy end kept on
swivelling round as if looking for something or wanting to burrow back
down (but being on my trowel it had no luck).

Your description exactly describes a chrysalis. The conker brown, the
rounded end and the pointed end and the wiggling about which suggests
it is almost ready to emerge, probably as some sort of moth rather han
butterfly, though I cannot say which. Do you still have it? Someone
else has suggested putting it in a jar and waiting to see what
emerges. Then release it immediately.
No way have you described an earwig or a leatherjacket.

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Sue Begg

In message , June Hughes
writes
In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from Kay contains these words:

It's what I've always known as a leather-jacket. larva or chrysalis of
something.

Crane fly.

Foe.

I always thought crane flies were daddy-long-legs but am willing to
stand corrected. Why are they foes?

Sounds more like a leatherjacket to me, and I thought they were foes.

Leather-jackets are the immature form of crane fly
But these beasties certainly seem to be the chrysalis of some sort of
moth. I don't think I could identify which one even after it has hatched
:-( There are so many and they are so similar
--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!