Old 13-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Registered User

Default Privacy in garden

Hello all,
I have a weeny garden overlooked by two big blocks of flats. I expect to have moved from this flat by summer 2007, so I need a very fast solution to my privacy problem.
My partner is building me a pergola this week and I want something to cover it for next summer. (optimistic?) Lots of people say mile a minute is too rampant, but in my situation perhaps it would be worth it?
I just want somewhere shady and private to sit with my baby next summer, then I'm outta here!
Any other suggestions? I've had honeysuckle and clematis suggested - but I really don't think they will cut it for next year. The onlooking windows are sooo close I need growth above my head before it will be private. The soil is very dry and solid clay at ten inches deep.
Kate
Old 13-06-2005, 03:21 PM
CECI

Hi Kate

Mile a minute will cover it within the year and if you don't like it,
just cut it at the root and it will just die back. But I am sure that
the people who buy your flat will appreciate the privacy too!

Ceci

Old 13-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Kay

In article . com, CECI
writes
Hi Kate

Mile a minute will cover it within the year and if you don't like it,
just cut it at the root and it will just die back. But I am sure that
the people who buy your flat will appreciate the privacy too!

They won't, however, appreciate the complete disappearance of the
pergola under a mass of vine a year or two later.
--
Kay

Old 13-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from kate7 contains these words:

I just want somewhere shady and private to sit with my baby next
summer, then I'm outta here!
Any other suggestions? I've had honeysuckle and clematis suggested -
but I really don't think they will cut it for next year. The onlooking
windows are sooo close I need growth above my head before it will be
private. The soil is very dry and solid clay at ten inches deep.

Jerusalem artichokes - and you can eat them from autumn onwards.
Sunflowers, teazles, hollyhocks, tree mallow.

Or get some bamboos in big planters and take them with you when you move.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 13-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Bob Hobden

"kate7" wrote ...

Hello all,
I have a weeny garden overlooked by two big blocks of flats. I expect
to have moved from this flat by summer 2007, so I need a very fast
solution to my privacy problem.
My partner is building me a pergola this week and I want something to
cover it for next summer. (optimistic?) Lots of people say mile a
minute is too rampant, but in my situation perhaps it would be worth
it?
I just want somewhere shady and private to sit with my baby next
summer, then I'm outta here!
Any other suggestions? I've had honeysuckle and clematis suggested -
but I really don't think they will cut it for next year. The onlooking
windows are sooo close I need growth above my head before it will be
private. The soil is very dry and solid clay at ten inches deep.

Why not use some green plastic shade cloth, you can get quite strong thick
stuff, stapled over the top of the pergola. Instant shade, instant privacy
and no change of a plant taking over.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 13-06-2005, 08:55 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
kate7 wrote:

Hello all,
I have a weeny garden overlooked by two big blocks of flats. I expect
to have moved from this flat by summer 2007, so I need a very fast
solution to my privacy problem.
My partner is building me a pergola this week and I want something to
cover it for next summer. (optimistic?) Lots of people say mile a
minute is too rampant, but in my situation perhaps it would be worth
it?
I just want somewhere shady and private to sit with my baby next
summer, then I'm outta here!
Any other suggestions? I've had honeysuckle and clematis suggested -
but I really don't think they will cut it for next year. The onlooking
windows are sooo close I need growth above my head before it will be
private. The soil is very dry and solid clay at ten inches deep.

Runner beans. Large leaves, fast growing, decorative flowers, and
edible. What more do you want?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Newbie and have a garden privacy issue :( Gertie2010 United Kingdom 23 16-08-2011 07:53 AM
privacy screen rb Lawns 1 22-05-2003 03:56 AM
ideas for privacy/border shrub? Two x over Gardening 5 21-03-2003 07:08 PM
Privacy Hedge... Chris S. Gardening 7 16-03-2003 04:56 AM
privacy needed martin United Kingdom 11 20-02-2003 04:16 PM