Old 13-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Paul D.Smith

Default Make room for nature - ungrateful mice!

OK, so there I am with my nice "wildish" garden, "making room for nature"
and how does it repay me? By having the local residents come and eat all my
strawberries -harrumph!

And it's not just the mice. The blackbirds are getting in on the act too.

So are "natural" and "grow-your-own" incompatible?

Paul "I like nature really" DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old 13-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:23:37 +0100, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

OK, so there I am with my nice "wildish" garden, "making room for nature"
and how does it repay me? By having the local residents come and eat all my
strawberries -harrumph!

And it's not just the mice. The blackbirds are getting in on the act too.

So are "natural" and "grow-your-own" incompatible?

Paul "I like nature really" DS.

You gotta mesh 'em! Just about everything will want a piece of your
strawberries.
It's worth spending a bit of time ( and cash ) knocking up a dedicated
frame for the mesh, so as to make it easy to lift the mesh ( and
replace it ) when tending/harvesting.
Plastic mesh is fine, but a wire mesh over a treated timber frame will
last many years.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 13-06-2005, 12:25 PM
Kay

In article , Paul
D.Smith writes
OK, so there I am with my nice "wildish" garden, "making room for nature"
and how does it repay me? By having the local residents come and eat all my
strawberries -harrumph!

And it's not just the mice. The blackbirds are getting in on the act too.

So are "natural" and "grow-your-own" incompatible?

It works with compromise - usually on your side not theirs ;-)

try replacing your strawberries with yellow-fruiting ones (I know there
are yellow fruited alpines, and I thought I'd seen a yellow fruiting
large types), and grow a lot of alpine strawberries too - tiny, but far
more taste. Or buy your strawberries and grow instead loganberries,
tayberries etc which seem less attractive and are more expensive in the
shops.

I can't advise on the mice as our cats keep them away. Our blackbirds
take the redcurrants, a small proportion of the loganberries, and two or
three apples, but there's more than enough to go round.
--
Kay

Old 13-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Tahiri

So are "natural" and "grow-your-own" incompatible?

No of course not. You just have to grow enough for all of you!
I have tayberries. The birds have the top ones, the rabbits have the bottom
ones and I get the middle ones. Admittedly I also allow a considered
quantity of bindweed which hides some of the fruit and provides a convenient
handle with which to move the branches around.

Mice blasted mice Broadback[_2_] United Kingdom 42 22-12-2009 07:06 PM
Make room for me Padraig Garden Photos 0 26-04-2007 10:16 PM
Mice problem with wood stalks bthache Gardening 6 26-03-2003 05:08 PM
mice mick United Kingdom 10 22-03-2003 11:29 AM
Mice eating crocus Jeffery United Kingdom 9 05-12-2002 05:08 PM