Old 15-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Broadback

Default Paper shredder, not off topic

I am looking for a paper shredder, strangely it is not off topic. What
I would like is one that will shred, amongst other things, a few sheets
of newspaper at one time. I would like to use shredded newspaper to
sandwich my rather excessive amount of grass to compost it. any ideas
as to model, source and supply please? also any tips on relative
quantities would be helpful.
TIA
Old 15-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Mike

I have an Argos 670/0108 and it is fine. You don't need a 'security
shredder' which gives a fancy cross cut for what you are shredding.

Mike

--
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past
H.M.S.Impregnable Ass. Sussex 1 - 4 July Visit to Int. Fest of the Sea

Old 15-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Sarah Dale

Broadback wrote:
I am looking for a paper shredder, strangely it is not off topic. What
I would like is one that will shred, amongst other things, a few sheets
of newspaper at one time. I would like to use shredded newspaper to
sandwich my rather excessive amount of grass to compost it. any ideas
as to model, source and supply please? also any tips on relative

Why bother shredding the newspaper? I admit flung in whole, newspapers
do take some time to compost. However, if you mix it in a single or a
few sheets together at a time, it should work fine. Balling it up would
provide a larger surface area to interact with the grass.

Sarah
Old 15-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Martin Sykes

"Broadback" wrote in message
I am looking for a paper shredder, strangely it is not off topic. What
I would like is one that will shred, amongst other things, a few sheets
of newspaper at one time. I would like to use shredded newspaper to
sandwich my rather excessive amount of grass to compost it. any ideas
as to model, source and supply please? also any tips on relative
quantities would be helpful.
TIA

I use a cross-cut shredder, can't remember the model but I reckon the
smaller pieces mix in the compost better instead of staying a tangled lump
like a strip shredder.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 15-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Mike

Shredding makes it go quicker. I shredded a whole load of paper, photo copy
paper which I would think takes longer to decompose than newspaper, about 2
months ago and it had almost disappeared/composted when we turned the bin
last weekend.

Shredding for quicker action.

Mike

--
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past
H.M.S.Impregnable Ass. Sussex 1 - 4 July Visit to Int. Fest of the Sea
RAF Regiment Assoc. Scarborough 2 - 5 Sept. Visit to Eden Camp
H.M.S.Collingwood Assn Trafalgar Dinner. Coventry October 21 - 24
"Sarah Dale" wrote in message
news

Old 15-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Harold Walker

"Broadback" wrote in message
I am looking for a paper shredder, strangely it is not off topic. What I
would like is one that will shred, amongst other things, a few sheets of
newspaper at one time. I would like to use shredded newspaper to sandwich
my rather excessive amount of grass to compost it. any ideas as to model,
source and supply please? also any tips on relative quantities would be
helpful.
TIA

I find a real sharp knife and a straight edge does a fine job o shredding
newspaper....with a sharp knife easy to cut thru a dozen sheets at a
time.....can cut up a stack of them in next to no time........H