Old 19-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Harold Walker

Default Composting

What is the best ratio of newspaper to grass for efficient composting?....HW

Old 19-06-2005, 12:37 PM
nambucca

"Harold Walker" wrote in message
What is the best ratio of newspaper to grass for efficient

composting?....HW

Does not really matter how much shredded paper of all descriptions you add
to a compost heap it will still rot down and make compost which will hold
moisture in the soil
Personally i prefer to pack my groceries into free cardboard boxes at the
supermarket and then recycle them into the compost bin .......IMHE.the worms
just love to prophagate and raise their young in between the layers of paper
that make up cardboard

I add lashings of night water to my compost bins .....best accelerator there
is

Old 19-06-2005, 01:12 PM

This question of getting the balance right is obviously important
The most typical minimum daily compostable ouput of my household is
probably something like the following:-

1 copy of the The Independent
1 copy of the Evening Standard
4 or 5 tea bags
1 grapefruit peel and pips/1 apple core and pips
4 or 5 litres (? maybe more - never measured it) of "night water".

There will of course be the occasional grass clippings, leaves,
vegetable peelings etc but the above is the reliable minimum daily
output. Can this make good compost?

Ken Cohen

Old 19-06-2005, 01:18 PM
Harold Walker

I add lashings of night water to my compost bins .....best accelerator
there is............what is wrong with using "day water"?

Old 19-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Henry

??Please, what is night water?

I think they mean, as Bob Flowerdew would put it, "recycled beer and cider"
:-)

Henry

Old 19-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Kay

In article , John
writes
??Please, what is night water?

Urine

(cf night soil)

--
Kay

Old 19-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Harold Walker

"nambucca" wrote in message

"Harold Walker" wrote in message
What is the best ratio of newspaper to grass for efficient

composting?....HW

Does not really matter how much shredded paper of all descriptions you add
to a compost heap it will still rot down and make compost which will hold
moisture in the soil
Personally i prefer to pack my groceries into free cardboard boxes at the
supermarket and then recycle them into the compost bin .......IMHE.the
worms
just love to prophagate and raise their young in between the layers of
paper
that make up cardboard

I add lashings of night water to my compost bins .....best accelerator
there
is

I agree that regardless of the mix it all will "eventually" break down but
my question was relating the the "efficient"...in other words what ratio
will give the quickest rate of decompostion..........H

Old 19-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "John" contains these words:

??Please, what is night water?

Pis.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 19-06-2005, 04:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

I agree that regardless of the mix it all will "eventually" break down but
my question was relating the the "efficient"...in other words what ratio
will give the quickest rate of decompostion..........H

I don't know whether anyone has researched that. It would depend on all
sorts of other wossnames: day temperature and night temperature,
regularity of turning, wetness, type of vegetable matter, even type of
grass you have on the lawn, and how long you let it grow before you cut
it.

Then there are the earthworms, and the non-presence of flatworms, oh,
lots of things.

Just tip it all in, mix it every now and again, keep it moist but not
sodden, and let it get on with it.

Old 19-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 13:57:59 +0100, "Henry" wrote:

??Please, what is night water?

I think they mean, as Bob Flowerdew would put it, "recycled beer and cider"
:-)

Henry

I would like to ask him whether recycled tea and coffee is just as
good!

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Oxymel of Squill

wouldn't complement the nite soil so well

Old 20-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

There will of course be the occasional grass clippings, leaves,
vegetable peelings etc but the above is the reliable minimum daily
output. Can this make good compost?

You really want some screaming tabloids to add the ordure component.

I think it will make good compost eventually but there will be a nasty
slimy stage in between. I put a huge amount of cereal packets, junk
mail, cardboard boxes etc on mine - it gets there eventually.

Corrugated cardboard is favourite, though the incorrigible stuff helps innit.