Old 27-06-2005, 09:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

The Captain of at least one of the local syndicates uses an
over-and-under - indeed, I've never seen him with a side-by-side...

Is it possible that the O&U prejudice started not just because they were
cheaper to make but because they actually *are* more accurate and therefore
gave the birds less of a 'sporting chance'?

No. The aim is to kill the game as cleanly as possible. They aren't more
accurate per se, but they do give you that extra fraction of a second
for the shot.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 27-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Somehow or other I suspect that the gun I used for poaching does not belong
in "this arena"....it was a .22 BSA airgun...H

Side-by-side, or over-and-under?

(I'm a real bounder, and have a pre-charged air rifle with a 10-shot
pellet magazine.)

Old 27-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Harold Walker

Is it possible that the O&U prejudice started not just because they were
cheaper to make but because they actually *are* more accurate and
therefore
gave the birds less of a 'sporting chance'?
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Somehow or other I suspect that the gun I used for poaching does not
belong
in "this arena"....it was a .22 BSA airgun...H

Ah. But did it fold up?///////////////aye lass, if you mean did the
barrel break to depress the spring.....yes....it took down many grice and
pheasant in its day.....H

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Harold Walker

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Somehow or other I suspect that the gun I used for poaching does not
belong
in "this arena"....it was a .22 BSA airgun...H

Side-by-side, or over-and-under?

(I'm a real bounder, and have a pre-charged air rifle with a 10-shot
pellet magazine.)

Is that with a a CO2 cylinder?.....I used to have a .177pellet revolver with
a magazine and cylinder for charging...H

Old 27-06-2005, 02:51 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

(I'm a real bounder, and have a pre-charged air rifle with a 10-shot
pellet magazine.)

Is that with a a CO2 cylinder?.....I used to have a .177pellet
revolver with
a magazine and cylinder for charging...H

No, there's a big air reservoir under the barrel, and I use either a
multi-stage pump or a sub-aqua cylinder to replenish it.

The pump goes to 250 bar - and it's hard work!