Old 21-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Mike

Default How much

'more effort' has a newbie to gardening got to make, and where, before they
are 'allowed' to post on this newsgroup?

--
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past
H.M.S.Impregnable Ass. Sussex 1 - 4 July Visit to Int. Fest of the Sea

Old 21-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Mike

"EVERYBODY" is welcome on this newsgroup, whether you have only been
gardening since 1935, or are like the 'owners' have been gardening since the
days Adam was about, (I think they knew him.

:-))

Mike

Old 21-06-2005, 04:18 PM
June Hughes

In message , Harold Walker
writes
Excuse top posting.....have been gardening since 1935 or there abouts...does
that qualify me?

Anyone can post here. Unless people are abusive or offensive, others
normally make them welcome. If they have as much gardening experience
as you, they generally make several new virtual friends. Some of us have
even been known to meet on occasion. If you are unsure of the
etiquette, don't worry. Someone is bound to be a bit rude about it but
don't let that get you down. Most people here are friendly. Dive in
and have a go.
--
June Hughes
Old 21-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Harold Walker

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Harold Walker
writes
Excuse top posting.....have been gardening since 1935 or there
abouts...does
that qualify me?

Anyone can post here. Unless people are abusive or offensive, others
normally make them welcome. If they have as much gardening experience as
you, they generally make several new virtual friends. Some of us have even
been known to meet on occasion. If you are unsure of the etiquette,
don't worry. Someone is bound to be a bit rude about it but don't let
that get you down. Most people here are friendly. Dive in and have a go.
--
June Hughes

I have lived in the land of the Barbarians (George Bush et al) so long that
I no longer know the meaning of the word 'etiquette' so that is the least of
my concerns...perhaps I will have to take a refresher course in the next two
weeks so that my stay in the UK might go without too many disturbing
incidences............H

Old 21-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Mike

I have lived in the land of the Barbarians (George Bush et al) so long

that
I no longer know the meaning of the word 'etiquette' so that is the least

of
my concerns...perhaps I will have to take a refresher course in the next

two
weeks so that my stay in the UK might go without too many disturbing
incidences............H

Harold, if you were brought up in the UK, you have the training set by your
parents and it will soon return.

Have a nice stay over here.

Mike

Old 21-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Harold Walker

"Mike" wrote in message

I have lived in the land of the Barbarians (George Bush et al) so long

that
I no longer know the meaning of the word 'etiquette' so that is the least

of
my concerns...perhaps I will have to take a refresher course in the next

two
weeks so that my stay in the UK might go without too many disturbing
incidences............H

Harold, if you were brought up in the UK, you have the training set by
your
parents and it will soon return.

Have a nice stay over here.

Mike

Mike..........born and bred in the UK....did not leave the UK until after
two stints in the FAA....I feareth not....this limey has changed little in
the 50+ years over here.........H

Old 21-06-2005, 07:04 PM
Mike

Mike..........born and bred in the UK....did not leave the UK until after
two stints in the FAA....I feareth not....this limey has changed little in
the 50+ years over here.........H

Over here in time for the International Festival of the Sea at Pompey? If so
call in to the 'R.N.Shipmate's' Stand, I have a representation and display
for the Fleet Air Arm Association. (And possibly a tot or two of Pussers
:-))

Mike

Old 21-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Harold Walker

"Mike" wrote in message
Mike..........born and bred in the UK....did not leave the UK until after
two stints in the FAA....I feareth not....this limey has changed little
in
the 50+ years over here.........H

Over here in time for the International Festival of the Sea at Pompey? If
so
call in to the 'R.N.Shipmate's' Stand, I have a representation and display
for the Fleet Air Arm Association. (And possibly a tot or two of Pussers
:-))

Mike

The last time I had a tot of pussers was back in the late50's when a
visiting RN destroyer was in harbor and I swapped my uniform for a
couple.....prior to that it was at the rifle range at Whale Island.....one
of these days I will be making a meet with some of the old salts over
there......H

Old 21-06-2005, 08:35 PM
June Hughes

In message , Harold Walker
writes

[...]

Enjoy! 'Etiquette' doesn't matter these days (except that we still
queue for most things). We still have people who think they were born
better than others but they are best ignored.

Have a lovely stay in the old country.
--
June Hughes

Old 21-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Harold Walker

[...]

I will indeed J.H....as to those "better than we".....the words I would use
are rather vulgar so best left alone....one of the beauties of being over
here is that there is very little of 'one being better than the other'....oh
yes, one occasionally meets a Harvard 'snot" but not often....H

Old 21-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Mike

We still have people who think they were born
better than others but they are best ignored.

Oh how true, how true :-))

or bring them down a peg or two :-))

We had a neighbour quite some time ago who suddenly had 'promotion' and had
to go up in status 'in his eyes'. So he got a new car and joined the Golf
Club 'don't you know' and of course just 'had' to have a new set of golf
clubs. Little did he know, that we knew his very early 'upbringing' and that
we knew his wife did 'house charring' to pay the instalments on his Golf
Clubs!!!!

Mike

Old 22-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

"EVERYBODY" is welcome on this newsgroup, whether you have only been
gardening since 1935, or are like the 'owners' have been gardening since the
days Adam was about, (I think they knew him.

Ah, the owner...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 22-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

I have lived in the land of the Barbarians (George Bush et al) so long that
I no longer know the meaning of the word 'etiquette' so that is the
least of
my concerns...perhaps I will have to take a refresher course in the
next two
weeks so that my stay in the UK might go without too many disturbing
incidences............H

I thought I gave you the gen:

You'll need a loud check tweed plus-four suit, green, yellow and red
check hose, stout shoes and spats, Ecky Thump cap, etc.

The cigar is *OUT*, but a pipe would be acceptable.

Sunday wear is a long frock coat and matching trousers, and a hat must
be worn. Toppers are not much worn these days, and Cokes (bowlers to hoi
polloi) are reserved for weekdays, usually in the city, so a Homburg
would be favourite. Sunday afternoons are more relaxed, and a Panama may
be sported by the more racy dresser.

The practice od addressing all men as 'Sir' and all women as 'Ma'am' has
largely gone, much to the chagrin of many, but to the delight of the
younger generation.

Gerard Hoffnung had some excellent advice for visitors to the country
during the Festival of Britain, some of which I shall repeat:

"All London brothels display a blue lamp."

"Zebra parking places provided everywhere."

"You will oblige your chambermaid by hanging your mattress out of the
bedroom window every morning."

"Have you tried the famous echo in the Reading Room of the British Museum?"

"On entering a railway compartment, be sure to shake hands with all the
passengers."

(Gerard Hoffnung at the Oxford Union) - on a 10" 33·3 rpm Columbia, IIRC

Old 22-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Harold Walker

[...]

Perhaps and most likely you did but living in this land of such dumbwits
like George Bush has somewhat slowed down my absorption rate....thanks for
the reminders....must do a spot of shopping to outfit myself when I go a
visiting to see the new Archbishop of York.. and perhaps various locals in
London....what type of colorful dress would you advise for such an
occasion?..+ seeing that I will be travelling on the UK trains do Ineed a
pair of white silk gloves for handshaking.......H