Old 29-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Registered User

Default Where to get garden canes

Wow, my beans are trailing along the floor and my tomatoes swaying precariously over, as a first year grower in the good life stylee I was a little perturbed to find that Focus charge £2.50 per 1.5 meter cane.

Ideally I need about 20 and there is no way that I am going to allow myself to be fleeced by these high street fat cats... any ideas to pick up some canes at a reasonable price?

Ta
Old 29-06-2005, 04:46 PM
Peter Stockdale

--
dazdread

Are you sure you have not mis-read the price ?
£2.50 for ten - not one

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 29-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Bob Hobden

"dazdread" wrote from the dreaded Gardenbanter (?) a message
Wow, my beans are trailing along the floor and my tomatoes swaying
precariously over, as a first year grower in the good life stylee I was
a little perturbed to find that Focus charge £2.50 per 1.5 meter cane.

Ideally I need about 20 and there is no way that I am going to allow
myself to be fleeced by these high street fat cats... any ideas to pick
up some canes at a reasonable price?

N A Kays Horticulture.. 8ft garden canes £13.25 for 50...
http://www.kaysdiscountgarden.co.uk/1.html
Always found them a good firm to deal with.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 29-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
[...]
/smug
This year I've been using my own home-grown bamboo canes :-)

Sometimes this group reminds me of the Fast Show.

--
Mike.

Old 30-06-2005, 12:06 PM
bigboard

dazdread wrote:

Wow, my beans are trailing along the floor and my tomatoes swaying
precariously over, as a first year grower in the good life stylee I was
a little perturbed to find that Focus charge £2.50 per 1.5 meter cane.

Ideally I need about 20 and there is no way that I am going to allow
myself to be fleeced by these high street fat cats... any ideas to pick
up some canes at a reasonable price?

Ta

I get mine from hedgerows. A nice walk and a folding pruning saw do the
trick for me.

--
"All snakes who wish to remain in Ireland will please raise their right
hands."

Old 30-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Peter Stockdale

"bigboard" wrote in message
dazdread wrote:

I get mine from hedgerows. A nice walk and a folding pruning saw do the
trick for me.

--
"All snakes who wish to remain in Ireland will please raise their right
hands."
-- Saint Patrick

Super Idea !
Could you advise us where we can find cane bearing hedgerows ?

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 30-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Mike Lyle

Peter Stockdale wrote:
"bigboard" wrote in message

I get mine from hedgerows. A nice walk and a folding pruning saw

do
the trick for me.

[...]

Super Idea !
Could you advise us where we can find cane bearing hedgerows ?

If you have space, it's worth growing a few hazels to coppice in
future years for pea and bean sticks. And for the next few years,
what about odd wild patches beside your canal?

--
Mike.

Old 30-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

If you have space, it's worth growing a few hazels to coppice in
future years for pea and bean sticks. And for the next few years,
what about odd wild patches beside your canal?

--
Mike.

Nothing resembling garden canes in our predominately Hawthorne canalside
hedges!

Pete

Old 01-07-2005, 10:48 AM
bigboard

Peter Stockdale wrote:

"bigboard" wrote in message
dazdread wrote:

I get mine from hedgerows. A nice walk and a folding pruning saw do the
trick for me.

--
"All snakes who wish to remain in Ireland will please raise their right
hands."
-- Saint Patrick

Super Idea !
Could you advise us where we can find cane bearing hedgerows ?

I use hazel poles. There's nothing magical about bamboo!

--
Linus: I guess it's wrong always to be worrying about tomorrow.
Maybe we should think only about today.

Old 03-07-2005, 04:29 AM
MikeTillieSmith

My wife and I grow a garden every year and when we first started gardening
we used cane and it became a hasle so we came up with using hog wire or
foundation wire. We drove a post on each end of the row and stretched the
wire tight. We planted peas, purple hull peas, cucumbers and many other
vine type vegetables. We get alot more vegetables with less place. You can
plant on both sides of the fence. Hope that help....Take a look at my
homepage ( hometown.aol.com/TexasSeedSwap) People come on there and trade
ideas and like to trade different seeds. Good Luck Mike "Peter