Old 31-05-2007, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden Canes Advice: Slightly OT?

Hi

I'm about to embark on an arts project involving children in schools making
large cage sculptures (yes I know... ;-))

I've sussed out that those thin green garden canes would be ideal. Here's a
link to the B&Q website to the ones I mean:
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...sSear ch=true

They're 1.2 metres long and cost £2.48 for 15 in B&Q. This seems expensive.
Can anyone recommend a wholesaler who might deliver me about 1000 of them at
a cheaper rate (or even better an Edinburgh/Fife-based supplier)?

Thanks in advance

xiv

Old 31-05-2007, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I'm about to embark on an arts project involving children in schools
making large cage sculptures (yes I know... ;-))

If my old headmaster was still alive I'm sure he'd point you in the right
direction - he was never short of canes in his office and he made regular
use of them :-(

Though I gather such barbarities are forbidden nowadays. I guess today's
punishment is to put miscreants into bamboo cages now? :-)

David.

Old 31-05-2007, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
I'm about to embark on an arts project involving children in schools
making large cage sculptures (yes I know... ;-))

If my old headmaster was still alive I'm sure he'd point you in the right
direction - he was never short of canes in his office and he made regular
use of them :-(

Though I gather such barbarities are forbidden nowadays. I guess today's
punishment is to put miscreants into bamboo cages now? :-)

David.

It's all symbolic, honest. Although there are one or two who i'd happily
incarcerate for an hour or two of a day... :-)

Old 31-05-2007, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

link to the B&Q website to the ones I mean:http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...&fh_secondid=9...
They're 1.2 metres long and cost £2.48 for 15 in B&Q. This seems expensive.
Can anyone recommend a wholesaler who might deliver me about 1000 of them at
a cheaper rate (or even better an Edinburgh/Fife-based supplier)?

Looked around on the web and found a few, below are a couple which
could help. Found 500 sticks for 25 quids. Not bad. Good luck.

http://www.bs-bamboo.co.uk/prices.htm
http://www.ukbamboosupplies.com/

Old 31-05-2007, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"louisxiv" wrote in message
Hi

I'm about to embark on an arts project involving children in schools
making large cage sculptures (yes I know... ;-))

I've sussed out that those thin green garden canes would be ideal. Here's
a link to the B&Q website to the ones I mean:
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...sSear ch=true

They're 1.2 metres long and cost £2.48 for 15 in B&Q. This seems
expensive. Can anyone recommend a wholesaler who might deliver me about
1000 of them at a cheaper rate (or even better an Edinburgh/Fife-based
supplier)?

Thanks in advance

xiv

Perhaps too late in the project but have you considered willow canes. It is
so important to instil an understanding of nature into those small people
that I would have thought that many suppliers would be glad to help with a
discount.:-)
www.englishwillowbaskets.co.uk

Good fun and a possible solution to the current housing shortage.

Old 31-05-2007, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 31 May, 19:26, "louisxiv" wrote:

I'm about to embark on an arts project involving children in schools
making
large cage sculptures (yes I know... ;-))
I've sussed out that those thin green garden canes would be ideal. Here's
link to the B&Q website to the ones I
mean:http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...&fh_secondid=9...
They're 1.2 metres long and cost £2.48 for 15 in B&Q. This seems
expensive.
Can anyone recommend a wholesaler who might deliver me about 1000 of them
at
a cheaper rate (or even better an Edinburgh/Fife-based supplier)?

Looked around on the web and found a few, below are a couple which
could help. Found 500 sticks for 25 quids. Not bad. Good luck.

http://www.bs-bamboo.co.uk/prices.htm
http://www.ukbamboosupplies.com/

Interesting... Can't see those thin ones on there. The green ones around
3-4mm diameter. Am I missing them?

Old 31-05-2007, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

ups.com...

http://www.bs-bamboo.co.uk/prices.ht...osupplies.com/

Interesting... Can't see those thin ones on there. The green ones around
3-4mm diameter. Am I missing them?

Try LBS Horticulture, 01282 869850
You want Chinese split canes available from 12 inch (Bale of 10,000)to
30 inch (bale of 2500)
Though I like the sound of British Willow look at
http://www.somersetlevels.co.uk/prod...FQPklAod_3GT0A

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 31-05-2007, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 31 May 2007 20:53:18 +0200, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:

I'm about to embark on an arts project involving children in schools
making large cage sculptures (yes I know... ;-))

Why don't you use liviing willow? Should be cheaper and the willow
will grow. It needs to be trimmed now and then (or quite often!) but
is very attractive. My local primary school has one, 2 or 3 years old
and I remember seeing them at the Ebbw Vale Garden Festival 10 or so
years ago.
see http://www.organicgardening.org.uk/factsheets/gg37.php

Pam in Bristol
Old 31-05-2007, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"louisxiv" wrote in message
Hi

I'm about to embark on an arts project involving children in schools

making
large cage sculptures (yes I know... ;-))

I've sussed out that those thin green garden canes would be ideal. Here's

link to the B&Q website to the ones I mean:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...sSear ch=true

They're 1.2 metres long and cost £2.48 for 15 in B&Q. This seems

expensive.
Can anyone recommend a wholesaler who might deliver me about 1000 of them

at
a cheaper rate (or even better an Edinburgh/Fife-based supplier)?

Thanks in advance

xiv

Try LBS
www.lbs-group.co.uk I don't think they are online as such but once you have
their catalogue you can do everything mail order.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 01-06-2007, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
louisxiv writes
Hi

I'm about to embark on an arts project involving children in schools making
large cage sculptures (yes I know... ;-))

I've sussed out that those thin green garden canes would be ideal. Here's a
link to the B&Q website to the ones I mean:
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na..._secondid=9371
966&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search =canes+&fh_eds=%c3%9f&f
h_refview=search&ts=1180635309253&isSearch=true

They're 1.2 metres long and cost £2.48 for 15 in B&Q. This seems expensive.
Can anyone recommend a wholesaler who might deliver me about 1000 of them at
a cheaper rate (or even better an Edinburgh/Fife-based supplier)?

Could try N A Kays, we site isn't the best, but better than their old
one.

http://www.kaysdiscountgarden.co.uk/

They call them flower sticks it would seem:

http://www.kaysdiscountgarden.co.uk/.../14/-ecommerce
?action=category;category=Plant%20Protection%20and %20Support%5cFlower%20S
ticks;eid=556273

--
Chris French

Old 01-06-2007, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

They're 1.2 metres long and cost £2.48 for 15 in B&Q. This seems
expensive.
Can anyone recommend a wholesaler who might deliver me about 1000 of them
at
a cheaper rate (or even better an Edinburgh/Fife-based supplier)?

If you can get over to Glasgow I know a few semi wholesale operations that
should have those much cheaper.

Mike

Old 02-06-2007, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
news

They're 1.2 metres long and cost £2.48 for 15 in B&Q. This seems
expensive.
Can anyone recommend a wholesaler who might deliver me about 1000 of them
at
a cheaper rate (or even better an Edinburgh/Fife-based supplier)?

If you can get over to Glasgow I know a few semi wholesale operations that
should have those much cheaper.

Mike

I could do Mike. Go on...

Old 02-06-2007, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

If you can get over to Glasgow I know a few semi wholesale operations
that should have those much cheaper.

Mike

I could do Mike. Go on...

Try Bonnypack 0141 429 2531or ABS 0141 429 6024 both in tradestone area.

Mike

Old 03-06-2007, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

If you can get over to Glasgow I know a few semi wholesale operations
that should have those much cheaper.

Mike

I could do Mike. Go on...

Try Bonnypack 0141 429 2531or ABS 0141 429 6024 both in tradestone area.

Mike

Will do. Cheers Mike.

Where to get garden canes dazdread United Kingdom 10 03-07-2005 04:29 AM
Slightly O/T Advice on Horwell 84" triple mower Dave United Kingdom 5 30-05-2003 04:11 PM
Discoloured Canes Heather Cross Roses 1 24-02-2003 08:09 PM
Raspberry canes John Cotterill United Kingdom 1 14-01-2003 10:24 PM
Moving raspberry canes Jo United Kingdom 2 24-11-2002 01:35 PM