Old 06-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Geoff

Default Another use for weed matting

I have an eight by four foot raised bed (using gravel board) covered with
porous weed matting in which were cut small crosses to open up and plant
strawberry plants. I used pea gravel around the plants to weigh down the
matting. It's a wonderful way of growing strawberries and even in the
driest weather the soil needed little watering.

We've had so many strawberries these last four or five weeks that besides
giving neighbours some, we've frozen 5 pounds to make into jam when we have
enough pots to put it in!!

Geoff

Old 06-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Geoff

"Aries" wrote in message

Snip

Sounds like a great idea to me Geoff, but do you have any probs with slugs
underneath the matting?

I've seen no slug trails and I think a few ripe strawberries lying on the
matting/gravel have been partially eaten by woodlice. I pick any attacked
strawberries and my springer Monty (Barred from that part of the garden!)
loves them!

Geoff

Old 08-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Hazel

Sounds like a great idea to me Geoff, but do you have any probs with
slugs
underneath the matting?

I've seen no slug trails and I think a few ripe strawberries lying on the
matting/gravel have been partially eaten by woodlice. I pick any attacked
strawberries and my springer Monty (Barred from that part of the garden!)
loves them!

Geoff

I have a point to make here about woodlice. I said a long time ago that they
eat non decaying matter and this group jumped on me and told me they do not.
I just wanted to say that, bye

Hazel

Old 09-07-2005, 08:10 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Hazel" contains these words:

I have a point to make here about woodlice. I said a long time ago
that they
eat non decaying matter and this group jumped on me and told me they
do not.
I just wanted to say that, bye

Were you posting from the Isle of Wight with a different isp, under
the name "Vicky"?

Janet
Old 09-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Hazel" contains these words:
Sounds like a great idea to me Geoff, but do you have any probs with
slugs
underneath the matting?

I've seen no slug trails and I think a few ripe strawberries lying on the
matting/gravel have been partially eaten by woodlice. I pick any
attacked
strawberries and my springer Monty (Barred from that part of the garden!)
loves them!

Geoff

I have a point to make here about woodlice. I said a long time ago
that they
eat non decaying matter and this group jumped on me and told me they
do not.
I just wanted to say that, bye

I've never seen woodlice eating strawberries - ants, more likely.

But woodlice *WILL* crawl into any handy moist hole...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 09-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Hazel

I have a point to make here about woodlice. I said a long time ago
that they
eat non decaying matter and this group jumped on me and told me they
do not.
I just wanted to say that, bye

Were you posting from the Isle of Wight with a different isp, under
the name "Vicky"?

Janet

No Janet, and it was over 2 years ago

Hazel

Old 09-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Hazel" contains these words:

I have a point to make here about woodlice. I said a long time ago
that they
eat non decaying matter and this group jumped on me and told me they
do not.
I just wanted to say that, bye

Were you posting from the Isle of Wight with a different isp, under
the name "Vicky"?

Janet

No Janet, and it was over 2 years ago

Strange. I can't find any google-archive posts from your current
posting ID on the topic of woodlice, or any google-archived posts of
anyone replying to posts from that ID about woodlice.

Janet
Old 10-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Hazel

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Hazel" contains these words:

I have a point to make here about woodlice. I said a long time ago
that they
eat non decaying matter and this group jumped on me and told me they
do not.
I just wanted to say that, bye

Were you posting from the Isle of Wight with a different isp, under
the name "Vicky"?

Janet

No Janet, and it was over 2 years ago

Strange. I can't find any google-archive posts from your current
posting ID on the topic of woodlice, or any google-archived posts of
anyone replying to posts from that ID about woodlice.

Janet

Had I known this of topic problem of yours was so important to you, I may
have not just answered your question,, and offered that I may have been
posting back then under another nick, and certainly from a different ip. It
was not from the Isle of White, not as "Vicky", and not from this IP
Not so "strange" then that you can't find the relevant

Hazel

Old 10-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Mike

Had I known this of topic problem of yours was so important to you, I may
have not just answered your question,, and offered that I may have been
posting back then under another nick, and certainly from a different ip.

It
was not from the Isle of White, not as "Vicky", and not from this IP
Not so "strange" then that you can't find the relevant

Hazel

Excuse me Hazel, I hate to be like a net nanny, but it's Isle of Wight, not
White :-))
Pop in and see me if you are over over here. The Isle of Wight that is :-))

Mike
actually on the Isle of Wight :-))

Old 10-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Hazel

"Mike" wrote in message

Had I known this of topic problem of yours was so important to you, I may
have not just answered your question,, and offered that I may have been
posting back then under another nick, and certainly from a different ip.

It
was not from the Isle of White, not as "Vicky", and not from this IP
Not so "strange" then that you can't find the relevant

Hazel

Excuse me Hazel, I hate to be like a net nanny, but it's Isle of Wight,
not
White :-))
Pop in and see me if you are over over here. The Isle of Wight that is
:-))

Mike
actually on the Isle of Wight :-))

I have to bow down there, and chuckle

Hazel

Old 10-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Janet Baraclough

[...]

There are many other ways to advance-search google's archive than by
author. Keywords and phrases also failed to find examples of any
gymnastic woodlouse discussions.

You are the person who considered this group's response important
enough to be worth mentioning two years later. I apologise if my trying
in vain to look it up has caused you any embarrasment.

Janet
Old 11-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Hazel

[...]

Oh Janet, you didn't embarrase me.

I have googled for it as well since you brought it up.Since those posts, I
had a bad period and, god forbid, got disenchanted with my garden. Before
this I had been active in Garden Web exchanging seeds and plants worldwide.
Then I had a HD fry on me, and lost all. Now I have a new ISP. Hence a new
user name etc.

And I mention'd it because the poster was saying woodlice ate non decaying
matter, which is what I got shot down on.

Be well

Hazel

Old 11-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Hazel" contains these words:

Oh Janet, you didn't embarrase me.

I have googled for it as well since you brought it up.Since those posts, I
had a bad period and, god forbid, got disenchanted with my garden. Before
this I had been active in Garden Web exchanging seeds and plants worldwide.
Then I had a HD fry on me, and lost all. Now I have a new ISP. Hence a new
user name etc.

And I mention'd it because the poster was saying woodlice ate non decaying
matter, which is what I got shot down on.

I think I remember the thread, but i couldn't even begin to say who said what.

I've heard it said on several occasions that Google isn't very reliable
as an archive. Bring back Déjà!

Weed matting. Geoff United Kingdom 0 06-07-2005 12:03 PM
Weed Matting Zoony United Kingdom 1 02-07-2005 07:13 PM
ADD: Good prices on Weed control matting! Brian United Kingdom 0 21-05-2005 10:22 AM
Straw vs plastic matting for weed control David Bunch Gardening 6 29-01-2004 02:42 AM
Coir Matting Jo Ling United Kingdom 2 20-05-2003 03:44 PM