Old 09-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Chris S

Default ICE - In Case of Emergency - spread the word guys

"Mary" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 09:00:12 GMT, "JB" wrote:

This was forwarded to me: I think it's a really good idea, especially
given
Thursdays events
East Anglian Ambulance Service have launched a national "In case of
Emergency (ICE)" campaign with the support of Falklands war hero Simon
Weston and in association with Vodafone's annual life savers award.

The idea is that you store the word "ICE" in your mobile phone address
book,
and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be
contacted
"In Case of Emergency". In an emergency situation ambulance and hospital
staff will then be able to quickly find out who your next of kin are and
be
able to contact them.

It's so simple - everyone can do it. Please do. Please will you also
forward
this to everybody in your address book, it won't take too many forwards'
before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life.
John

http://www.cnhw.co.uk/ice.cfm
ICE - In Case of Emergency

Eight out of ten people aren"t carrying information that would help if
they were involved in an accident. Storing next-of-kin details in your
mobile phone can assist the emergency services if you"re unable to
tell them who to contact.

How does it work?
Simply use your mobile"s phone book to store the name and number of
someone who should be contacted if you have an emergency - but add the
letters ICE in front of their name.

ICE stands for "In Case of Emergency": it"s what the emergency
services will look for if you"re involved in an accident and have your
mobile phone with you. This straightforward idea was developed by the
East Anglian Ambulance Trust and is supported by Vodafone.

Getting started
On most mobile phones you simply need to select "Contacts" and choose
"Add New Contact", then enter the letters "ICE" next to the name,
followed by the telephone number of your next of kin. Make sure you
choose a number that"s easy to get in touch with - a home number could
be useless in an emergency if the person works full time. We recommend
that you enter daytime and evening numbers where this is possible.

What should I do next?
Make sure the person whose name and number you are giving has agreed
to be your "ICE partner". You should also make sure your ICE partner
has a list of people to contact on your behalf, such as your place of
work. In addition, they"ll need to know about any medical conditions
that could affect your emergency treatment, including allergies or
medication.

If you"re under 18, your ICE partner should be your mother, your
father or an immediate member of your family authorised to make
decisions on your behalf. Friends and other relatives won"t be able to
make decisions for you if you"re admitted to hospital.

Storing an ICE number makes it easier for everyone if you"re involved
in an accident. It only takes a few seconds, so do it today - please.

Jolly good idea - I've just done it - I'm quite pleased with my ICE WIFE
entry as well :-))

Chris S

Old 09-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Derek Moody contains these words:

In article , Mary
wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 09:00:12 GMT, "JB" wrote:

Eight out of ten people aren"t carrying information that would help if
they were involved in an accident.

Eight out of ten people probably don't need to. NO hospital is going
to take a telephoned relative's word on blood group, for example.

Their choice. This is the National ID card argument all over again :-(

It would be as much (if not more) sense to write a list of allergies on your
(always clean, just in case) underwear.

People with serious medical conditions/allergies already have the
option of wearing a Medicalert bracelet/necklace.

Given the number of mobile phones that are stolen, or swapped or
shared among families, or even shared between work colleagues, there are
too many opportunities for wrong ICE information to be attached to the
wrong patient. For that reason alone I think it highly unlikely that
hospitals would risk relying on any medical information obtained from an
ICE call.

It only needs a few mobile-phone thieves to have fun making malicious
calls to ICE numbers, for the call recipients to feel an equal lack of
confidence in the system.

Far better to have your NHS registration number tattooed on your
bottom. This is more secure than tattooing it on your forehead, which
risks having your medical history hijacked by casual passers by.

Janet.

Old 10-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Tumbleweed

"Richard" wrote in message

"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article , Mary
wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 09:00:12 GMT, "JB" wrote:

This was forwarded to me: I think it's a really good idea, especially
given
Thursdays events
East Anglian Ambulance Service have launched a national "In case of
Emergency (ICE)" campaign with the support of Falklands war hero Simon

Why? Has East Anglia suddenly become an exceptionally dangerous place?

snip

No _but_ many _thousands_ of East Anglian's work in London and many
commute
on a daily basis

Richard

....so has London suddenly become exceptionally dangerous? More chance you'll
be kicked to death by a gang of yobbos in your local town than blown up by
Al Q anywhere* and they'll nick your phone while they are at it.

--
Tumbleweed

* (except maybe central Baghdad)

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 10-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Tumbleweed

"Richard" wrote in message

snip

It is difficult to see why anyone would be against the idea or for that
matter adopt an attitude that it isn't up to x, y ........ or zn to think
of a solution but just this group.

Stay well ............ Richard

Here's two...

I steal your phone, look in contact book under ICE, phone up, say you have
been killed.....I do this for fun....maybe its a group of chav 'mates' who
would just borrow your phone and do it for a laugh.

Or, I phone and say you have been killed, ask for your address and can you
come to identify body.....I do this to get your relative to leave house so I
can burgle it.

[Both of these type of events took place after the tsunami if you think I am
being pessimistic]

Given the number of stolen phones (a million a year??), compared to the
small number of times this facility would be used _and_ be useful*, this
could easily and likely cause much more trouble than it would fix.

--
Tumbleweed

* the numbers could be wrong (will people update them?), the people out.

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 14-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Tumbleweed

"Nicholas D Richards" wrote in message
In article , Phil Kyle
writes

[...]

No helpful factual information in demon.local. It's our only rule.

Nothing helpful here, except to phone thieves and fences. I can imagine
that an ICEd phone might be worth more, for its extra personal
information.

Agreed, I give it less than 3 months before we see the first news reports
about someone being told their relative has been killed/ and/or someone
having their house burgled, due to the personal ICE info in a phone.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 15-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Tumbleweed

"David" wrote in message
news snip
No helpful factual information in demon.local. It's our only rule.

Nothing helpful here, except to phone thieves and fences. I can imagine
that an ICEd phone might be worth more, for its extra personal
information.

Agreed, I give it less than 3 months before we see the first news reports
about someone being told their relative has been killed/ and/or someone
having their house burgled, due to the personal ICE info in a phone.

Then you're an ass.

I cant see why you'd consider that based on that comment (feel free to on
others :-), since *its already happened* (in the case of the tsunami), and
for nicked phones the numbers will be multiplied up several thousand fold
(just considering the UK Tsunami dead compared to 1 million nicked phones a
year).

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com