Old 16-07-2005, 04:03 PM
PeterL

Default Yucca Tree cuttings

Hello

I am sorry to trouble you but I cannot find an answer to this online so am
going to the experts.

I have a thriving Yucca Tree in my garden and I would love to take cuttings
from it but do not know how to.

Any advice or links to relevant sites would be much appreciated.

PeterL
Website http://leach01.co.uk
Banopticon 2005 http://drwhoni.co.uk
Masonic http://tl169.co.uk
Jordanstown Schools http://jord.org.uk
RMS Majestic History http://rmsmajestic.co.uk

Old 16-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Ted

"PeterL" wrote in message
Hello

I am sorry to trouble you but I cannot find an answer to this online so am
going to the experts.

I have a thriving Yucca Tree in my garden and I would love to take
cuttings
from it but do not know how to.

Any advice or links to relevant sites would be much appreciated.

PeterL
Website http://leach01.co.uk
Banopticon 2005 http://drwhoni.co.uk
Masonic http://tl169.co.uk
Jordanstown Schools http://jord.org.uk
RMS Majestic History http://rmsmajestic.co.uk

we have 'taken' many babies from our Yucca............only its not so much a
cutting more a young tuba growth that appears around the base of mother
plant growing from her roots.

we dig as deep as possible and cut them from the root then pot them up.

we have 4 youngsters growing at the moment ranging from 100mm to 300mm high.

the mother plant is about 1.7 metres high and comprises 4 or 5 thick trunks.

she flowers once a year only this year they were rather small.

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/DSCN0002.JPG

pictured last year.

dj

Old 16-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Phil L

Ted wrote:
:: "PeterL" wrote in message
:: ...
::: Hello
:::
::: ============================================
::: Website http://leach01.co.uk
::: Banopticon 2005 http://drwhoni.co.uk
::: Masonic http://tl169.co.uk
::: Jordanstown Schools http://jord.org.uk
::: RMS Majestic History http://rmsmajestic.co.uk
:::
:::
::
[...]

Mine;s exactly the same as that, but it's 2m high at the leaves, the flowers
go another metre higher (5 of them this year)...I 'tended' to it last year
and snapped off all the unwanted shoots from the bottom and slung them on
the compost, 3 weeks later they were still alive so I potted a few up, these
are now 2ft high and living in somone elses garden, I did a few more last
week and only leave about 2 inches of brown at the base and they grow very
easily.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 16-07-2005, 08:36 PM
PeterL

Phil L wrote:
Ted wrote:
"PeterL" wrote in message
[...]

Many thanks I had often wondered how you took cuttings. Dont appear to have
any shoots at the bottom at the moment but I can wait.

Again many thanks

Old 17-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Sue Begg

::: I am sorry to trouble you but I cannot find an answer to this online so
::: am going to the experts.
:::
::: I have a thriving Yucca Tree in my garden and I would love to take
::: cuttings
::: from it but do not know how to.

I had a large yucca in the house (3ft trunk large head of leaves)). When
I moved to the residential caravan it got placed in the barn and
forgotten. I found it in spring very brown and dead. I needed its large
tub for something else so I evicted the dead plant leaving it in the
corner of the barn. I went to throw it on the bonfire yesterday and
found over a dozen small green shoots coming from the dried up trunk.
Potted it up and will have to take care of it now because of its
tenacity.
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply

Old 17-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Cire

I have always had an interest in growing-on cuttings of some of the more
unusal garden plants and I would like to consider that I am fairly
successful at it but I must say that I find yuccas a considerable challenge.

In my experience, don't be fooled into thinking that you have some nice
plants coming along when in fact they have not rooted at all, even a year
later! How they manage to survive that long without roots is beyond my
understanding.

I had to cut down a very nice 'gloriosa' a couple of years ago and I must
have had about twenty young shoots come up from the old root (three new
ones have appeared in the last week). I have potted up every one of them
after digging deep and taking a reasonable piece of the old wood. Even
eighteen months later some of them look very healthy but, if I turn them out
of their pot, they have no root at all.

About one third of them have rooted and are growing-on nicely but, of the
rest, about one third have rotted and the rest are pretending to be
rooting!

Some I have put into gritty compost, some into compost and perlite, and the
rest into my favourite peat and sharp sand. They don't seem to prefer any of
those mixes and I am thinking of trying them on Weetabix!

I think that they are very difficult and I would like to know what I am
failing to do right.

Eric

Old 18-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:03:56 +0100, "Cire"
wrote:

[...]

Do you allow the exposed cut surfaces to dry off for a few days before
you pot them up? Might help stop the rot, but whether it will actually
encourage rooting I don't know.

My only experience of rooting a yucca was ripping quite a large side
piece off a trunk I found abandoned on our local beach. I think it had
been chucked over the cliff from above, rather than being washed up.
It did have some tiny knobbles on it at the base which I assumed were
proto-roots. Potted it up in some _very_ gritty compost and left it
outside over the summer, watering very occasionally when I remembered.
It's growing strongly in the garden now.

--
Chris