Old 18-07-2005, 07:34 PM
shorty

Default Laying a new turf query ??

I have a small area of turf that I need to raise up by 20mm to make it
slightly above the concrete edging stones that surround it, as the
wife keeps hitting the stones with the lawn mower.

The wife also wants new turf.

Would it be feasible just to lay new turf over the old ??? maybe give
the old turf a bit of a scarify. The old turf is not too bad but is a
bit coarse.

Or maybe thinking about it, turf cut the old lawn, and turn the sods
over. Then lay new turf on top. Or maybe apply roundup first before
turning it over.

Any thoughts or ideas on an easy life. I've got the wife cutting
grass, but I think its pushing my luck to get her to lay a new turf.
Old 18-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Mike Lyle

shorty wrote:
I have a small area of turf that I need to raise up by 20mm to make

it
slightly above the concrete edging stones that surround it, as the
wife keeps hitting the stones with the lawn mower.

The wife also wants new turf.

Would it be feasible just to lay new turf over the old ??? maybe

give
the old turf a bit of a scarify. The old turf is not too bad but is

bit coarse.

Or maybe thinking about it, turf cut the old lawn, and turn the

sods
over. Then lay new turf on top. Or maybe apply roundup first before
turning it over.

Any thoughts or ideas on an easy life. I've got the wife cutting
grass, but I think its pushing my luck to get her to lay a new

turf.

Couldn't you just spend an afternoon lowering the edging? I realise
this may make a path too high, though. If it's quite a recently-laid
path, maybe just hiring the whacker or a vibrating roller would solve
that problem. If there's a concrete path, then you could lower the
edging to half an inch below grass level without disturbing it.

I wouldn't lay turf on living grass: modern turf has very little soil
attached, so it needs a good bed to grow into as soon as possible. If
it's as small as you imply, maybe turning over the old turf, raking
out very (and, boy do I mean very!) thoroughly, and turfing on top is
the way to go. If you kill it off, there's a wait while dies; then
it's just the same as turning it all over -- a wait while you dig it
all up, rake it out, level it off, rake it out again, level it off
again, etc.

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Alternatively, you could be patient, and raise the level of the lawn
by regular top-dressings: I suppose this would take three years,
maybe four.

--
Mike.

Old 18-07-2005, 08:52 PM
p.k.

shorty wrote:
I have a small area of turf that I need to raise up by 20mm to make it
slightly above the concrete edging stones that surround it, as the
wife keeps hitting the stones with the lawn mower.

Don't raise it that high. You want the soil level just below the paving
height - that will allow th3 mower to ride over the edge without hitting it.

Soil above edge encourages the soil/grass to encroach over the paving

pk

Old 18-07-2005, 10:40 PM
cliff_the_gardener

Hi,
You have several right ideas - especially on getting the lawn cut!

As for laying the lawn, kill it off with round up, wait 6 weeks for it
to be dead, then dig it over and make fine tilth. You may want to
improve the soil whilst you are at it - depends on what you soil is
like. If you can get hold of large blocks of coir, make it up and work
it in along with some slow release fertiliser. Seaweed meal is also
great as the alginates help bid the soil and help retain water.
Firm the soildown, by walking over it, then re level.
Lay turf and water water water. Dont let it dry out.

Good Luck

Cliff
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 20-07-2005, 03:25 PM
H Ryder

Would it be feasible just to lay new turf over the old ???

I had a friend who did this (on sandy soil) and it worked just fine. Only
problem was that a few dandelions made it through to the surface.
Hayley

Old 19-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Registered User

I suggest you should not put the turf over the old, it will not remove compaction etc.
Why not dig over rake level and lay new turf.
Best place is www.onlineturf.co.uk
On the home page is a great laying guide,
regards
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty