Old 21-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Registered User

Question flat sort of moss

I am getting a flat sort of moss on the surface of all my pot plants this year..is it anything to worry about?
Old 21-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Spider

--
solaara

Hi Solaara,

It sounds like Liverwort, which grows in damp places. You can just scrape
it off the surface of the compost. However, if it's on all your pots,
consider which of those pots need to be that moist. Maybe some of your pots
are being overwatered?

If this growth has been on your pots since winter, and probably developed
during wet weather, then it might be a good idea to top dress the pots after
you've scraped off the growth.

Hope this helps.
Spider

Old 22-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Rod

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 07:42:45 +0000, solaara
wrote:

I am getting a flat sort of moss on the surface of all my pot plants
this year..is it anything to worry about?

It's most likely to be Liverwort, you're probably overwatering a bit
and the compost is getting sour and stale. Probably worth repotting
some of the plants, knock them out of the pots, pick off the
liverworts and the compost that's stuck to them, tease the rootball of
your plant out a bit and get rid of any soggy compost that has no
plant roots in it and repot in fresh compost. In bad cases you might
consider putting the plant in a slightly smaller pot if the retball
has deteriorated badly, otherwise move them up to a slightly larger
size.
Rod

To reply use rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp - just remove the weedy bits and plant the sqiggly thing at.

[IBC] Moss dressing pots was : culitvating moss on a large scale Kev Bailey Bonsai 2 20-07-2005 03:59 PM
looking for large flat stones effi Gardening 0 10-06-2003 05:20 AM
Pergola flat top or slanted BS Lawns 0 09-05-2003 07:08 AM
Maxillaria callichroma- flat psuedobulbs Diane Mancino Orchids 0 16-04-2003 02:44 AM
Weird flat fungus? Sue United Kingdom 4 18-11-2002 09:39 PM