Old 23-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Jupiter

Default Query re Mantis Tillers

I'm thinking of acquiring a Mantis Tiller to make a vegetable plot in
the coming autumn and winter. Area is currently grassed (I wouldn't
grace it with the term 'lawn'), kept short, not too afflicted with
perennial weeds apart from daisies and the odd dandelion. Soil is
fairly light with a good selection of flints. Potential problem might
be a lot of tree roots spreading from the Council's arboricultural
efforts outside my fence. Anybody had experience with these machines
on breaking new ground? Mantis info indicates that it's possible but
they are trying to sell the machines!

Old 23-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Roger Hembury

"Jupiter" wrote in message
I'm thinking of acquiring a Mantis Tiller to make a vegetable plot in
the coming autumn and winter. Area is currently grassed (I wouldn't
grace it with the term 'lawn'), kept short, not too afflicted with
perennial weeds apart from daisies and the odd dandelion. Soil is
fairly light with a good selection of flints. Potential problem might
be a lot of tree roots spreading from the Council's arboricultural
efforts outside my fence. Anybody had experience with these machines
on breaking new ground? Mantis info indicates that it's possible but
they are trying to sell the machines!

I have used it to cut new ground in a lawn. It worked quite well but you
will need to cut the grass really short beforehand and then go over it
several times to really loosen up the soil and to mulch the grass in.

It can bounce around quite a bit a to start with so watch your toes and when
it does hit large stones or roots it does stop but smaller roots are
generally sliced up quite easily.

The only problem I've had was the throttle handle falling off, I managed to
get it back together but it's not 100% right as I have to pull the cable a
bit to get it upto full running speed. It's still under warranty so I might
get onto Mantis and see what they say.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Old 23-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Jupiter

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:09:40 +0000 (UTC), "Roger Hembury"
wrote:

"Jupiter" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks, that's very helpful. I don't really want to go for a bigger
machine because once the plot's made it'll be a matter of maintenance
which a Mantis should be able to handle well, and they seem small
enough to work in existing planted flower beds with care.

Old 23-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

"Jupiter" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:09:40 +0000 (UTC), "Roger Hembury"
wrote:

"Jupiter" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I asked a similar question last year about a Mantis, I have one now and love
it. Such a great tool for our garden.
Its been let out a few times and it always gets a positive comment when
returned.
Steve
The UK SpeedTrap Guide" @ www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk
The UK Weather Guide" @ www.ukstorms.com

Old 24-07-2005, 09:51 PM
Hazel

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:09:40 +0000 (UTC), "Roger Hembury"
wrote:

"Jupiter" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Why not hire a bigger machine ?

Hazel

Old 25-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Jupiter

wrote:

"Jupiter" wrote in message
[...]

It's a thought, but they're quite expensive to hire. Might be better
to buy one of these cheap old bangers that abound on eBay then sell it
again.

mantis Tillers Donald Maclean Edible Gardening 15 07-04-2008 09:29 PM
Earthquake Tillers Bob Utterback Gardening 0 23-02-2005 12:41 AM
Comments on Mantis tillers? Doug Kanter Gardening 37 18-10-2004 11:48 AM
Tillers BeeFarmer Edible Gardening 3 19-03-2003 07:20 PM
Tillers BeeFarmer Gardening 3 19-03-2003 07:20 PM