Old 16-03-2008, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default mantis Tillers

Hi,
Anyone out there use a mantis tiller---are they as good as they are
cracked up to be. I am using an Ariens rear tine tiller very effective but
also heavy and cumbersome. Specials are on now so I am considering
purchasing one.

--
Don

Old 16-03-2008, 03:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mar 15, 8:47 pm, "Donald Maclean" wrote:
Hi,
Anyone out there use a mantis tiller---are they as good as they are
cracked up to be. I am using an Ariens rear tine tiller very effective but
also heavy and cumbersome. Specials are on now so I am considering
purchasing one.

--
Don

I don't know about Mantis tillers. I was put off by the 2-cycle
engine. I bought a Honda mini tiller with a 4 cycle engine. It works
very well and starts with little effort.
Richard
Old 16-03-2008, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Donald Maclean wrote:
Hi,
Anyone out there use a mantis tiller---are they as good as they are
cracked up to be. I am using an Ariens rear tine tiller very effective but
also heavy and cumbersome. Specials are on now so I am considering
purchasing one.

They are good for exactly one season (coincides nicely with the length
of the warranty.) After being stored over that first winter, they will
never run right again no matter how well you winterized it. (I have
lots of 2-cycle engines, the Mantis is the only one I ever had trouble
with.) I finally threw it away and bought a little Honda tiller.

The Honda is easier to use, too. It's just slightly heavier than the
Mantis, and that extra weight makes all the difference.

Hope this helps,
Bob
Old 16-03-2008, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:47:50 -0300, "Donald Maclean"
wrote:

Hi,
Anyone out there use a mantis tiller---are they as good as they are
cracked up to be. I am using an Ariens rear tine tiller very effective but
also heavy and cumbersome. Specials are on now so I am considering
purchasing one.

Our main tiller is a Troybilt Horse 8HP (the original Troybilt, not
the dumbed down version now made by MTD). Bought a Mantis years ago
for between row weeding and other small jobs.
Useless little PITA. Returned it. Took months and lots of problems but
finally got a refund.
Bought a Honda FG-100 which is just a bit heavier but it outperforms
the Mantis. Plus, the Honda is 4 cycle, no fuel/oil mixing as required
with the Mantis.
That's just my opinion, others seem to like the Mantis.

Ross.
Old 16-03-2008, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Hi,
Anyone out there use a mantis tiller---are they as good as they are
cracked up to be. I am using an Ariens rear tine tiller very effective but
also heavy and cumbersome. Specials are on now so I am considering
purchasing one.

I've had a Mantis with a Honda engine for years and it works great.
I've read that the two stroke is OK if you pull it a couple of times
with the spark off before starting.

Old 17-03-2008, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mantis tillers are perfect if the ground you have is the consistency of
Quaker oatmeal in the box. Nice. Fluffy. No clumps. No rocks.

But then, if it's that good of soil, what does one need with a tiller? A
tiller is for breaking up hard caked soil, or mixing soil that has sat all
winter. The Mantis is far too light for that, and just bounces along like a
Chihuahua on too many lattes.

MHO only.

Steve

Old 17-03-2008, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Its good for raised beds. Im good with motors and have no problems starting
my dad always needs help. I cant start it in 3 pulls.

Old 17-03-2008, 10:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

zxcvbob expounded:

They are good for exactly one season (coincides nicely with the length
of the warranty.) After being stored over that first winter, they will
never run right again no matter how well you winterized it.

That isn't true, I had a two-stroke Mantis for five years that started
every spring, with no problem at all.

(I have
lots of 2-cycle engines, the Mantis is the only one I ever had trouble
with.) I finally threw it away and bought a little Honda tiller.

Mine was crushed by a tree, I bought the Honda engined four stroke
Mantis. Much quieter and no more mixing, but I did like that
two-stroke.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked
Old 18-03-2008, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Hi,
Anyone out there use a mantis tiller---are they as good as they are
cracked up to be. I am using an Ariens rear tine tiller very effective but
also heavy and cumbersome. Specials are on now so I am considering
purchasing one.

I love mine. Adore it!

It's not going to break up thick roots, but for tilling up my
already established beds, it's perfect. I've had mine about 5
years, and only had trouble with it last year. One of my
neighbors borrowed it; and, despite my express direction *not* to
refuel it, he did. He hand mixed the gas and oil, and apparently
didn't get it just right. That or he used old gas. Anyway, I had
to have take to the shop for a cleaning and tune up, or whatever
it is mechanics do when they're alone with 2 cycle engines.

I've never done anything to winterize it, I just run it dry the
last time I use it.

I've heard lots of good things about the Hondas, and I believe
they were a Consumer Reports pick a few years back, but I love my
Mantis.

Penelope

- "pointed"

Old 18-03-2008, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"aluckyguess" wrote in message

Its good for raised beds. Im good with motors and have no problems
starting my dad always needs help. I cant start it in 3 pulls.

Can not cant

Old 18-03-2008, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , "aluckyguess"
wrote:

"aluckyguess" wrote in message

Its good for raised beds. Im good with motors and have no problems
starting my dad always needs help. I cant start it in 3 pulls.

Can not cant

I can beat you at dominos,
No you can't. No you can't.

Me a cowboy. Me a cowboy,
Me a Mexican Cowboy.

OK, pass the plate and let's get outta here.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 19-03-2008, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

Saw a new Mantis recently that had a four stroke Honda engine on it.

Olin

- "pointed"

Old 19-03-2008, 11:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

"Olin" expounded:

Saw a new Mantis recently that had a four stroke Honda engine on it.

Yep, that's the one I got when my original two stroke was crushed.
Old 23-03-2008, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "aluckyguess"
wrote:

"aluckyguess" wrote in message

Its good for raised beds. Im good with motors and have no problems
starting my dad always needs help. I cant start it in 3 pulls.

Can not cant

I can beat you at dominos,
No you can't. No you can't.

Me a cowboy. Me a cowboy,
Me a Mexican Cowboy.

OK, pass the plate and let's get outta here.
--

Billy

LOL

Must of had a few beers that night.
It starts just fine.

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/

Query re Mantis Tillers Jupiter United Kingdom 5 25-07-2005 07:50 AM
Earthquake Tillers Bob Utterback Gardening 0 23-02-2005 12:41 AM
Comments on Mantis tillers? Doug Kanter Gardening 37 18-10-2004 11:48 AM
Tillers BeeFarmer Edible Gardening 3 19-03-2003 07:20 PM
Tillers BeeFarmer Gardening 3 19-03-2003 07:20 PM