Old 27-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Very similar here. My broad beans are a complete disaster. The
earlies didn't set, and the current ones overripened before they
swelled _ I am wondering whether to leave them to ripen properly.
I planted a very late lot, as an experiment, and the weather went
back to winter, so they mostly rotted.

I planted plants and though they didn't have many flowers they have
ripened and produced very large pods. I did pinch out the tops this year
which meant I didn't get any black fly.
My peas have had five sowings as they sat so long that the mice must
have eaten them. Also carrots have had to be sown several times to get a
full row! My runner beans, French beans and climbers are doing well now
but it's been slow up to the last fortnight.
On the plus side the tomatoes outside are ripening, the courgettes
(round ones this year! Like little golf balls) cucumber and brassicas
seem to be enjoying the weather.

Rain at last today, hopefully more to come as the ground is very dry.
The heavy infestation of grey aphids on brassicas seems to have
disappeared before I could spray, though it'd ruined one variety of
cabbage.

Janet
(Amersham, Buckinghamshire)

--