Old 22-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Removing Tool Rust?

John:
I used to clean the rust off antique weapons (when I was a collector),
by soaking the rusty parts in Kerosene for a couple of days. Light
steel wool would almost always clean them up.

Carl L. Rosner

John T. Jarrett wrote:

:/

I just found a tub of tools I thought I had put in the garage before winter
came.

Any good soaks for getting the rust outta them creases and seams where
grinders and sandpaper don't reach?

I used a half vinegar - half water tub to clean up a cast iron pot that had
spent ten years in a garage, but that still took hours of wire brushing and
these tools are just too small for that.

Thanks!
--

John T. Jarrett

http://logontexas.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-03-2003, 06:20 PM
dalecochoy

Old 23-03-2003, 08:56 PM
David J. Bockman

Dale....

The tub should be four-fifths full of dry sand or turface fines... I did two
tools in about 10 minutes, they were sorely rusty and came out immaculate.

This is how the old school warriors removed rust from their chain mail
garments.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Neal Ross

You could always have them glass beaded too then refinished.--I crucified my
hate and
held the world within my hands--
Neal Ross-Marysville CA

Old 24-03-2003, 12:56 AM
dalecochoy

The tub should be four-fifths full of dry sand or turface fines... I did

two
tools in about 10 minutes, they were sorely rusty and came out immaculate.

This is how the old school warriors removed rust from their chain mail
garments.
David J. Bockman, Fairfax, VA

Okaaayyyy! 10 minutes, I'll have to try that!
BTW, Dave, I didn't know they had Turface or Haydite in the 1100's!
:)
Dale

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-03-2003, 02:56 AM
Anita Hawkins

paghat wrote:

With any extended exposure, the carbonic acid in Coke dissolves iron, not
just the rusty bits.

Sorry, no. Carbonic acid (a reducing agent) reacts with rust (ferric
oxide) to form ferrous iron, which is water-soluble. It does not react
with elemental iron. Though, if you leave carbonic acid (in water
solution) in contact with iron for an extended period, with access to
oxygen, the iron will continue to rust, and the rust almost
immediately be reduced by the carbonic acid, giving the appearance the
the iron is being directly attacked. So don't leave your rusty tools
in Coke forever

The "black" coating mentioned in another response (sorry, didn't save
it) is not the return of rust to elemental iron as suggested, but the
formation of a dark iron oxide, Fe3O4, aka gun bluing, though it IS a
protection against further rusting. See
http://www.colamachines.com/howto/Rust_101.htm
(this site also has good summaries of various methods to clear rust,
though it does confuse Coke's very low phosphoric acid concentration
with that of Phosphoric Acid etch baths...)

...Coca Cola syrup delivery vans & trucks have to have
special permits for the transport of highly corrosive materials.

Doubtful; this may be an urban legend, too. Even concentrated Coke
(syrup) is not very acid. The concentrations of phosphoric (a mere 11
to 13 grams per gallon of syrup, or about 0.20 to 0.30% per
snopes.com) and citric acids (even less) in it are quite low, and the
carbonic acid only is present after the syrup is carbonated. So
corrosive, yes, but not "highly", just "barely". A more likely reason
for treating the syrup as a corrosive agent is that even a small
amount of dissoved metal ions would result in a metallic off-taste to
the Coke loss of bucks and reputation are big motivators for big companies!

...The
recurring story that the Highway Patrol uses Coca Cola to clean up the
blood after deadly auto accidents is pure legendry, but fun to imagine.

Yup

For debunking various Coke myths, see
http://www2.coca-cola.com/contactus/...gredients.html
http://www2.coca-cola.com/contactus/...packaging.html

Anita
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USA, USDA zone 6

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-03-2003, 02:56 AM
David J. Bockman

Sorry, no. Carbonic acid (a reducing agent) reacts with rust (ferric
oxide) to form ferrous iron, which is water-soluble. It does not react
with elemental iron. Though, if you leave carbonic acid (in water
solution) in contact with iron for an extended period, with access to
oxygen, the iron will continue to rust, and the rust almost
immediately be reduced by the carbonic acid, giving the appearance the
the iron is being directly attacked.

I think we've stumbled onto the formula for New Coke P

Old 27-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Anita Hawkins

"Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A." wrote:

John Jones wrote:
Why? Is lactic acid useful for removing tool rust?

Probably, judging by the way it eats tooth enamel.

Ummm... Dr. Rev. Chuck might want to keep in mind that tooth enamel is
basically ROCK, that is, a non-metallic mineral, carbonated calcium
hydroxy-apatite if you want to get technical.

I see no reason that lactic acid's ability to dissolve teeth has
anything to do with its ability to dissolve rust, a metallic iron
oxide. Excepting that *any* acid might accelerate the process of iron
oxide - soluble ferrous iron.

Now, if you want to get into removing rust stains from teeth, rather
than from tools, this might be a relevant discussion but it belongs
on a different list.

Here's something more useful: a primer and collection of rust removal
methods for tools, including links and credits to the authors of the
info. Has anyone tried elctrolytic rust removal?? This might actually
be useful to the original (now long-lost) author of the question...
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/rust/rust.html

Anita

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 27-03-2003, 03:44 PM