Old 22-03-2003, 07:44 PM
John T. Jarrett

Default Removing Tool Rust?

:/

I just found a tub of tools I thought I had put in the garage before winter
came.

Any good soaks for getting the rust outta them creases and seams where
grinders and sandpaper don't reach?

I used a half vinegar - half water tub to clean up a cast iron pot that had
spent ten years in a garage, but that still took hours of wire brushing and
these tools are just too small for that.

Thanks!
--

John T. Jarrett

http://logontexas.com

Old 22-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Cereoid+10+

Try using straight undiluted vinegar. Buy a gallon jug or more of the
vinegar. Pour it in a plastic tub with the pots and tools completely
covering them in the liquid. Let them soak in it overnight. Chemical
reactions need time to take place. Then take the pots and tools out and wash
them off with plain water. Its a good thing that ferric acetate is water
soluble, eh?

:/

Old 22-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Penny Morgan

We used to pour Coca Cola on rusty wheel rims and watch it eat away the
rust. This was when I was very young, but you could give it a try
to see if it works.

Penny
Zone 7b-North Carolina

Old 23-03-2003, 01:56 AM
John Jones

"John T. Jarrett" wrote in message
:/

I just found a tub of tools I thought I had put in the garage

before winter
came.

Any good soaks for getting the rust outta them creases and

seams where
grinders and sandpaper don't reach?

I used a half vinegar - half water tub to clean up a cast iron

pot that had
spent ten years in a garage, but that still took hours of wire

brushing and
these tools are just too small for that.

This may or may not work, but googlize "Eds Red"

Old 23-03-2003, 06:20 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

John T. Jarrett wrote:

:/

I just found a tub of tools I thought I had put in the garage before winter
came.

Any good soaks for getting the rust outta them creases and seams where
grinders and sandpaper don't reach?

I used a half vinegar - half water tub to clean up a cast iron pot that had
spent ten years in a garage, but that still took hours of wire brushing and
these tools are just too small for that.

Thanks!
--

I'd just spray them heavily with WD40 and let time do the rest. If you actually
for some odd reason want your garden tools absolutely spotless, pull a google

Old 23-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Cereoid+10+

Coca Cola isn't macho enough. Try using beer instead!!!

You better not use any of that wimpy light beer.

om...

Old 26-03-2003, 09:56 PM
John Jones

"Penny Morgan" wrote in message
om...
We used to pour Coca Cola on rusty wheel rims and watch it eat

away the
rust. This was when I was very young, but you could give it a

try
to see if it works.

I can't vouch for this method, but there is some reasonable
chemistry behind it. Coca Cola contains phosphoric acid (like
Naval Jelly) which can reduce the rust, and carbonic acid which
can 'boil' the rust out of tight places.

Old 26-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

John Jones wrote:

"Penny Morgan" wrote in message
om..
We used to pour Coca Cola on rusty wheel rims and watch it eat

away the
rust. This was when I was very young, but you could give it a

try
to see if it works.

I can't vouch for this method, but there is some reasonable
chemistry behind it. Coca Cola contains phosphoric acid (like
Naval Jelly) which can reduce the rust, and carbonic acid which
can 'boil' the rust out of tight places.

Imagine what it does for your teeth. Especially since the bacteria
in your mouth can metabolize sugar into lactic acid.
Old 26-03-2003, 10:32 PM
paghat

"Penny Morgan" wrote in message
om...
We used to pour Coca Cola on rusty wheel rims and watch it eat

away the
rust. This was when I was very young, but you could give it a

try
to see if it works.

With any extended exposure, the carbonic acid in Coke dissolves iron, not
just the rusty bits. Coca Cola syrup delivery vans & trucks have to have
special permits for the transport of highly corrosive materials. The
recurring story that the Highway Patrol uses Coca Cola to clean up the
blood after deadly auto accidents is pure legendry, but fun to imagine.
Check out the Urban Folklore recap:

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

As an immediate cleaning agent, there's nothing special about Coke.
Regular carbonated water also has carbonic acid & is just as good -- or
better since it won't have so much scummy syrup residue -- or just as bad
for lengthy exposure. The amount of carbonic acid in softdrinks is not
sufficient to make it an especially good cleanser compared to actual
cleaning products, but it'll work a little.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 26-03-2003, 11:20 PM
John Jones

"Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A." wrote in
message ...
John Jones wrote:

"Penny Morgan" wrote in message
om..
We used to pour Coca Cola on rusty wheel rims and watch it

eat
away the
rust. This was when I was very young, but you could give

it a
try
to see if it works.

I can't vouch for this method, but there is some reasonable
chemistry behind it. Coca Cola contains phosphoric acid

(like
Naval Jelly) which can reduce the rust, and carbonic acid

which
can 'boil' the rust out of tight places.

Imagine what it does for your teeth. Especially since the

bacteria
in your mouth can metabolize sugar into lactic acid.

Why? Is lactic acid useful for removing tool rust?

Old 26-03-2003, 11:44 PM
John Jones

[rec.gardens snipped]

"paghat" wrote in message
news
"Penny Morgan" wrote in message
om...
We used to pour Coca Cola on rusty wheel rims and watch it

eat
away the
rust. This was when I was very young, but you could give

it a
try
to see if it works.

With any extended exposure, the carbonic acid in Coke dissolves

iron, not
just the rusty bits.

Anyone with more than freshman chemistry knows better. Folks, I
apologize for drawing-in opinions like this.

Old 27-03-2003, 02:20 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

John Jones wrote:

"Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A." wrote in
message ..
John Jones wrote:

"Penny Morgan" wrote in message
om.
We used to pour Coca Cola on rusty wheel rims and watch it

eat
away the
rust. This was when I was very young, but you could give

it a
try
to see if it works.

I can't vouch for this method, but there is some reasonable
chemistry behind it. Coca Cola contains phosphoric acid

(like
Naval Jelly) which can reduce the rust, and carbonic acid

which
can 'boil' the rust out of tight places.

Imagine what it does for your teeth. Especially since the

bacteria
in your mouth can metabolize sugar into lactic acid.

Why? Is lactic acid useful for removing tool rust?

Probably, judging by the way it eats tooth enamel.