Old 22-03-2003, 07:44 PM
John T. Jarrett

Default Removing Tool Rust?

:/

I just found a tub of tools I thought I had put in the garage before winter
came.

Any good soaks for getting the rust outta them creases and seams where
grinders and sandpaper don't reach?

I used a half vinegar - half water tub to clean up a cast iron pot that had
spent ten years in a garage, but that still took hours of wire brushing and
these tools are just too small for that.

Thanks!
--

John T. Jarrett

http://logontexas.com

Old 22-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Cereoid+10+

Try using straight undiluted vinegar. Buy a gallon jug or more of the
vinegar. Pour it in a plastic tub with the pots and tools completely
covering them in the liquid. Let them soak in it overnight. Chemical
reactions need time to take place. Then take the pots and tools out and wash
them off with plain water. Its a good thing that ferric acetate is water
soluble, eh?

:/

Old 22-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Penny Morgan

We used to pour Coca Cola on rusty wheel rims and watch it eat away the
rust. This was when I was very young, but you could give it a try
to see if it works.

Penny
Zone 7b-North Carolina

Old 23-03-2003, 01:56 AM
John Jones

"John T. Jarrett" wrote in message
:/

I just found a tub of tools I thought I had put in the garage

before winter
came.

Any good soaks for getting the rust outta them creases and

seams where
grinders and sandpaper don't reach?

I used a half vinegar - half water tub to clean up a cast iron

pot that had
spent ten years in a garage, but that still took hours of wire

brushing and
these tools are just too small for that.

This may or may not work, but googlize "Eds Red"

Old 23-03-2003, 02:20 AM
Phisherman

If you wipe your tools with a rag moistened with kerosene, your tools
won't rust. Kerosene will remove light surface rust. Also, kerosene
(in small quantities) is non-toxic and easy on the skin. Be careful
to dispose of the rag properly.

Old 23-03-2003, 04:08 AM
John T. Jarrett

I don't have kerosene around...how about Coleman "white fuel"...close
enough?

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com

Old 23-03-2003, 05:20 AM
Anonymo421

White gas is basically auto gas w/o the additives--seriously explosive. Try
some dillute phosphoric acid, such as "naval jelly." It's a pink goo that will
stick to the rusty tools rather nicely. Should be available at any hardware
store.

--
Bugger off, Chirac.

Old 23-03-2003, 06:20 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

John T. Jarrett wrote:

I don't have kerosene around...how about Coleman "white fuel"...close
enough?

WD40 is mostly kero.
Old 23-03-2003, 06:20 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

John T. Jarrett wrote:

:/

I just found a tub of tools I thought I had put in the garage before winter
came.

Any good soaks for getting the rust outta them creases and seams where
grinders and sandpaper don't reach?

I used a half vinegar - half water tub to clean up a cast iron pot that had
spent ten years in a garage, but that still took hours of wire brushing and
these tools are just too small for that.

Thanks!
--

I'd just spray them heavily with WD40 and let time do the rest. If you actually
for some odd reason want your garden tools absolutely spotless, pull a google

Old 23-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Cereoid+10+

Coca Cola isn't macho enough. Try using beer instead!!!

You better not use any of that wimpy light beer.

om...

Old 23-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Ron

Nev'r Dull wheel cleaner available at auto parts stores works really well.
Just pull some of the cotton wadding out and wipe away the rust. I don't
know what's in it, but it works pretty well for me here in Central Texas.

regards,
rOn

Old 23-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Phisherman

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 01:05:30 -0800, "Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A."
wrote:

John T. Jarrett wrote:

I don't have kerosene around...how about Coleman "white fuel"...close
enough?

WD40 is mostly kero.

You can buy a bottle of kerosene at WalMart as "lamp oil." Most of it
is scented and cost a bit more than the stuff you can buy at a gas
station.

I've read about a tip to prevent rust. Fill a large bucket with play
sand and mix in a couple quarts of used motor oil. Push your shovel
into the sand to store it there. The sand will clean your shovel and
the oil will prevent it from rusting. This is the lasy way. I sand
and sharpen (using a metal file) all my garden tools in preparation
for spring. It's really surprising how easy a sharp shovel or hoe
works.
Old 24-03-2003, 05:08 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

wrote:

John T. Jarrett wrote:

I don't have kerosene around...how about Coleman "white fuel"...close
enough?

WD40 is mostly kero.

You can buy a bottle of kerosene at WalMart as "lamp oil." Most of it
is scented and cost a bit more than the stuff you can buy at a gas
station.

I've read about a tip to prevent rust. Fill a large bucket with play
sand and mix in a couple quarts of used motor oil. Push your shovel
into the sand to store it there. The sand will clean your shovel and
the oil will prevent it from rusting. This is the lasy way. I sand
and sharpen (using a metal file) all my garden tools in preparation
for spring. It's really surprising how easy a sharp shovel or hoe
works.

You're preaching to the converted. Every woodworking tool I own will
shave hair. I actually sharpen new X-Acto knives before use. It DOES
make a difference.
Old 24-03-2003, 06:08 AM
Anonymo421

No, Coleman fuel is pure naptha...

Yes, but they are extremely similar hydrocarbons--so much so that the
precautions for dealing with the one generally apply to the other (though
naptha is even more volatile). I'm more concerned about the poster
accidentally self-immolating than I am about counting the odd carbon atom....

--
Bugger off, Chirac.