Old 24-01-2003, 11:22 PM
JTULL5

Default Growing greens indoors

I'm think about growing lettuce / greens in my basement near the small basement
window. This window faces south, so gets lots of light. I was going to hang a
small platform from the ceiling in front of this window, and put the pots or
flats on this platform, so the lettuce should get as much light as this window
can offer.

The basement is unheated and usually about 50 to 60 degrees.

Do you think this will work?

It would be nice to have 'good fresh greens every day of the year'.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Old 25-01-2003, 02:45 AM
Mahasamatman

Yes, it will work. We have done it, although using soilless culture and
supplemental light.

You will probably need some supplemental light to get the results you want.

Keep an eye on soil fertility levels. I would suggest modest amounts of
high nitrogen fertilizer with trace elements on a regular schedule because
most potting soils do not have enough fertility to grow lettuce to maturity.

The leaf varieties do best for indoor culture. We have had excellent
results with Black Seeded Simpson. We also have had good results with
blends such as Johnny's All-Star Mix and the Pinetree Lettuce Mix.

The butterhead and romaine (cos) type lettuces do not do so well inside
because they take longer to grow to maturity and because they are more prone
to developing bitterness if conditions aren't just right.

Sam

Old 28-01-2003, 11:37 PM
JTULL5

Thank you all for your responses!
I'm going to give it a try (growing lettuce in the basement). I'll keep a
supplemental light handy, in case the sunlight alone isn't enough.

Jim

Newbie: Growing chillies indoors sprocket United Kingdom 25 19-04-2003 06:44 PM
growing roses indoors? JimS. Roses 5 20-03-2003 01:56 AM
Newbie: Growing chillies indoors Martin Sykes Edible Gardening 3 24-02-2003 11:18 AM
Newbie: Growing chillies indoors Martin Sykes Gardening 2 24-02-2003 11:17 AM
What about growing things indoors? Chris United Kingdom 4 13-11-2002 04:02 PM