Old 03-01-2006, 05:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
peter

Default how to keep Japanese maple from growing taller?

I have a Japanese maple with red leaves. It is about 3 feet tall. However,
it seems to be inching taller slightly each year. If it grows much taller,
it won't look good in its location. Is there a way to keep it from from
growing taller?

Old 04-01-2006, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
Claire Petersky

"peter" wrote in message
I have a Japanese maple with red leaves. It is about 3 feet tall. However,
it seems to be inching taller slightly each year. If it grows much taller,
it won't look good in its location. Is there a way to keep it from from
growing taller?

Rather than prune the poor thing into oblivion, it'd be best to have to have
the right one planted in the first place. The people who planted our
Japanese maple clearly thought it'd be a dwarf variety, based on where they
put it. Now it's taller than the house.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
See the books I've set free at:

Old 04-01-2006, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chuckie

In reality there is no way to keep a plant from not growing taller than
it is designed to.
The best thing you can do is have it moved, though it could be to large
to move ans the only thing you can do is cut it down and use it for
firewood.
My personal pereference is that you should never plant trees next to a
house.
Chuckie in the frozen north, zone 5

Old 05-01-2006, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Alan Sung

"Chuckie" wrote in message
oups.com...
In reality there is no way to keep a plant from not growing taller than
it is designed to.
The best thing you can do is have it moved, though it could be to large
to move ans the only thing you can do is cut it down and use it for
firewood.
My personal pereference is that you should never plant trees next to a
house.
Chuckie in the frozen north, zone 5

Don't cut it down. The OP said it is only 3 feet tall. You can easily
transplant a tree that size. I don't think there are any varieties of
Japanese maples that will stop growing at 3 feet. If it is a dwarf variety,
you may have to resort to bonsai techniques to keep it that small.

-al sung
Hopkinton, MA
Zone 6a

Old 06-01-2006, 01:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tex John

"Alan Sung" wrote in message

you may have to resort to bonsai techniques to keep it that small.

Just digging it up and putting it in the biggest plastic pot you can get at
Home Depot will stop its growing almost immediately. Then just light
trimmings each year, a bit of a hair cut to keep its shape.

I have one 6' tall I did this to four years ago and it hasn't grown more
than 6" in that time. Pot is about 2' tall and 2' around at the top, plain
terra cotta looking plastic pot. You just have to remember to water it
regularly if you aren't getting much rain - once or twice a week but make
sure it isn't too much. If you don't mind watering it more, Mountain Maples
has a really cool pot for Japanese maples...

John

Old 11-01-2006, 11:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
KCnRichmond

What?!..Height control is the easiest thing to do in the garden.. without
pruning..Google it then try it your way. You'll be surprised..Mechanical
height control...
But I agree. Plant the right plant in the right place the first time.(ie,
Crape Murder)

"Chuckie" wrote in message
oups.com...
In reality there is no way to keep a plant from not growing taller than
it is designed to.
The best thing you can do is have it moved, though it could be to large
to move ans the only thing you can do is cut it down and use it for
firewood.
My personal pereference is that you should never plant trees next to a
house.
Chuckie in the frozen north, zone 5

[IMG] code is On

Where can I find mowers that can mow taller? Sarah Houston Lawns 9 26-05-2008 08:08 PM
Where can I find mowers that can mow taller? Sarah Houston Gardening 3 24-05-2008 02:41 PM
Sod getting taller! PSMSR Gardening 2 09-07-2007 10:42 AM
spinach standing taller--bolting? DigitalVinyl Gardening 3 09-06-2005 01:42 AM
Looking for a taller, cascading annual Polly Purebred Gardening 5 22-04-2005 07:21 PM