Old 11-07-2006, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub

Default Scott's does it again

Their latest rip off item is this "specially formulated fertilizer
made for the heat." What crap. Please don't buy into it.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Alan Sung

"Jangchub" wrote in message
Their latest rip off item is this "specially formulated fertilizer
made for the heat." What crap. Please don't buy into it.

Could you substantiate what your complaint is? After reading the label, it
appears to just be a fertilizer with a bit of insecticide in it. Formulation
is 28-3-8 vs regular old Turf Builder is 29-3-4.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA
Zone 6a

Old 12-07-2006, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:26:39 -0400, "Alan Sung" wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
.. .
Their latest rip off item is this "specially formulated fertilizer
made for the heat." What crap. Please don't buy into it.

Could you substantiate what your complaint is? After reading the label, it
appears to just be a fertilizer with a bit of insecticide in it. Formulation
is 28-3-8 vs regular old Turf Builder is 29-3-4.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA
Zone 6a

My complaint is their marketing line of bullshit, that its formulated
especially for the heat of summer. For people in the south, like
where I am in Texas, things, including turf goes dormant in high
summer and you'd be feeding weeds if you fertilize now. I don't like
the way they doop unsuspecting people.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
sg_fla

I understand about hot places and fertilizer. I'm a horticulturist in
SW Florida, and applying fertilizer in the heat of summer is like
spraying acid on your lawn. It just burns the hell out of the grass.

Scotts did this because sales drop severely for fertilizer in the
summer in the south. It's a marketing ploy. Unless it's something
like Milorganite or Organo (totally organic), don't put it on your
southern lawn in the summer!

Jangchub wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:26:39 -0400, "Alan Sung" wrote:

.. .

Old 12-07-2006, 10:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann

"sg_fla" expounded:

I understand about hot places and fertilizer. I'm a horticulturist in
SW Florida, and applying fertilizer in the heat of summer is like
spraying acid on your lawn. It just burns the hell out of the grass.

Scotts did this because sales drop severely for fertilizer in the
summer in the south. It's a marketing ploy. Unless it's something
like Milorganite or Organo (totally organic), don't put it on your
southern lawn in the summer!

Don't put it on *any* lawn in the summer!. Lawns go dormant in our
summer heat, also, it's a natural process, they green up with the fall
rains. There is no need to fertilize in the summer.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 12-07-2006, 11:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

I use Milorganite every June, no burning. I'm not sure if chicken
manure would do the same. Lawns around here typically go dormant
July-August, but not always.

Jangchub wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:26:39 -0400, "Alan Sung" wrote:

.. .

Old 12-07-2006, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub

So, it seems about everyone who responded agrees with me that Scott's
is duping the public with their special heat formula. I also use
Milorganite on the lawn and trees once in early spring after I've mown
the turf twice, again in fall, which around these parts isn't until
sometime in November (temperature wise).

Jangchub wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:26:39 -0400, "Alan Sung" wrote:

.. .

Old 15-07-2006, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
James

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:26:39 -0400, "Alan Sung" wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
.. .
Their latest rip off item is this "specially formulated fertilizer
made for the heat." What crap. Please don't buy into it.

Could you substantiate what your complaint is? After reading the label,

it
appears to just be a fertilizer with a bit of insecticide in it.

Formulation
is 28-3-8 vs regular old Turf Builder is 29-3-4.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA
Zone 6a

My complaint is their marketing line of bullshit, that its formulated
especially for the heat of summer. For people in the south, like
where I am in Texas, things, including turf goes dormant in high
summer and you'd be feeding weeds if you fertilize now. I don't like
the way they doop unsuspecting people.

I never put much stock in them. Their advertising would leave you with the
impression that they invented the grass seed they sell and anything else was
a cheap knockoff.

Old 22-07-2006, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gideon

Alan Sung wrote"

Could you substantiate what your complaint is? After reading the label, it
appears to just be a fertilizer with a bit of insecticide in it. Formulation
is 28-3-8 vs regular old Turf Builder is 29-3-4.

================

Alan,

I agree. This appears to be a fertilizer that has been formulated
for turf grasses specific to the Southern states in America. I don't
see any particularly misleading claims for this product. Although
I haven't seen a bag of this product, it is my impression that Scott's
is not claiming that it has any hot weather advantages over other
Scott's products, such as Turfbuilders. They do claim that the
formulation is better for typical southern varieties of grass. The
NPK has been tweeked a bit, along with adding a bit of Iron.

I own and use many different fertilizers and I attempt to use the
optimal one for each application. I'd never put lawn fertilizer on
my tomato crop, or vice versa. If I had a southern lawn and I owned
many bags of traditional Scott's Turfbuilder, I wouldn't hesitate to
put it on the lawn. But if I were purchasing new bags of lawn fertilizer,
why not buy something that is optimized for my turf?

Gideon