Old 06-12-2011, 07:03 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default This pond group is dead

On 5-Dec-2011, "ReelMckoi" wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message

On 25-Nov-2011, "ReelMckoi" wrote:
I would bet it's the dog. My neighbors dog would actually jump in the
ponds, knocking the rock necklace along the edge in the water and knock
over
and break the plants. He refused to put the dog up until I asked him
about
his Ins Co,.... he quickly got a chain for the dog. I was quite happy
when
they moved.

The night before last, at about 4am, I spotted on the CCTV a fox tugging

at
the netting over my pond. It looked quite strong and it also put its
feet
in
the water. Foxes are now my prime suspects for pond damage. The next
step
is
finding out how to prevent them from doing it. I might try a beam which
sounds an alarm when cut. I already have a proximity light which comes
on
but the foxes tend to ignore it.

Doug.

A fox! Wow... could they be thirsty and just looking for water?

No it was tugging fiercely at the netting and there are gaps where it can
drink and it can drink from my other pond anyway. That also doesn't explain
why they have dragged pots out of the pond in the past.

You can
try
one of those motion sprayers. Some people have success with them. Or try
using an electric fence, but that's a lot of work to set up. They keep the

pests out of my gardens. I string them about 9" above the ground and
about
10" above that.... for about 6 horizontal rows.

The fish were the draw in my ponds and the hassle just got to were it
wasn't
worth it anymore. Now with the fish gone, the ponds are very little work,
and the predators, snakes, raccoons etc left.

I think the electric fence idea could be a winner! They are also less
conspicuous. Will look into that.

Meanwhile I have been blocking off most of the routes near the pond used by
the foxes but that is not a cure.

I have a motion detector on the CCTV which makes looking at recordings
quicker but the problem is it also responds to rain near the camera and
bats.

Doug.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:20 PM posted to rec.ponds

On 6-Dec-2011, "Doug" wrote:

"Doug"
wrote in message

[...]

Here is the video of the fox attacking my pond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IVxfpT_hNk

Doug
Old 08-12-2011, 06:24 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Doug" wrote in message

Here is the video of the fox attacking my pond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IVxfpT_hNk

Doug

It looks like you're going to have to go with an electric fence. He's
probably not the only fox involved. You can also use a 3 or 4' tall chicken
wire fence topped with a string of electric. That will also keep rabbits and
squirrels out of your pond, lawn and garden.

I assume he was after the fish or whatever lives in your pond right now.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:41 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Doug" wrote

Here is the video of the fox attacking my pond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IVxfpT_hNk

I reckon he is after frogs, perhaps he's a French fox. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:44 AM posted to rec.ponds

On 8-Dec-2011, "ReelMckoi" wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message

Here is the video of the fox attacking my pond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IVxfpT_hNk

Doug

It looks like you're going to have to go with an electric fence. He's
probably not the only fox involved. You can also use a 3 or 4' tall
chicken
wire fence topped with a string of electric. That will also keep rabbits
and
squirrels out of your pond, lawn and garden.

I assume he was after the fish or whatever lives in your pond right now.

There are four fish and a frog or two who live in the pond.

I don't want anything that looks too conspicuous. In the meantime I have put
up a few simple barriers made of sticks which blocks the route around the
back of the pond and that seems to be working for now but if the attacks
continue I will have to get an electric fence. It all seems a bit much
though, all this technology just because of four little fishes! I have yet
to try my broken beam alarm but the neighbours might object to the noise in
the middle of the night.

Doug.

Old 15-12-2011, 12:52 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

This is why I got rid of the fish, removed the net covers, sold off the
pumps and filters and let nature have the ponds. I was tired of dealing with
it all. I enjoy the ponds more now than ever before. They're full of frogs
and little turtles and dragonflies and newts. And no work at all for me.
If predators want to jump in the ponds and go after the frogs and other
creatures, it's OK with me. Nature balances it all out.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-12-2011, 12:53 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Doug" wrote

Here is the video of the fox attacking my pond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IVxfpT_hNk

I reckon he is after frogs, perhaps he's a French fox. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wonder if the fox is just after frog legs or the whole frog. ;-)
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-12-2011, 09:45 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

Seems very sensible but I am too far committed and obsessed, as well as not
liking foxes trashing my garden at night and eating the frogs. Besides, its
fun seeing what the 'wildlife' get up to at night unaware of me watching
them.

I have thought of just leaving the fishes to their own resources, apart from
feeding them. I'll give Spring a try and decide after that. I do have
another little pond for the newts and bugs which they have used in the past.

As soon as the weather relents I will remove the netting and put up the
electric fence. The fish seem to have retired to their winter snooze anyway
and there seem to be fewer foxes now.

How come you have turtles instead of fish? Are you in a warm climate which
never freezes?

Doug.
Old 20-12-2011, 05:07 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

We couldn't do that because without the nets, the fish would be gone in
days. It was a constant stress and hassle to try and protect them. Then
snakes were getting caught on the nets and dying. It's much better for us
the way it is now. Too many fish predators here and cleaning the filters
every month and the entire ponds each spring... well, it got tiresome after
awhile.

As soon as the weather relents I will remove the netting and put up the
electric fence. The fish seem to have retired to their winter snooze
anyway
and there seem to be fewer foxes now.

How come you have turtles instead of fish? Are you in a warm climate which
never freezes?

Where I live there are several kinds of native turtles. These are called
sliders. If there's a pond anywhere, they'll find it. They live over the
winter somehow. Maybe in the soil around the ponds or on the pond bottom
with the frogs and newts. I really don't know.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Dead Group Usenet Poster Roses 0 26-02-2014 11:54 PM
Is this group dead or is the other one ? Martin H. Eastburn Roses 15 10-11-2006 02:40 PM
Matilda is dead too [Was: Dead Dolly] Phred sci.agriculture 1 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
Matilda is dead too [Was: Dead Dolly] Phred sci.agriculture 1 15-02-2003 03:34 PM