Soil type for bottle brush/Callistemon Citrinus

Old 18-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Pauli BP's Avatar

Location: Dartford, Kent
Question Soil type for bottle brush/Callistemon Citrinus

The Bottle Brush common name....But do they need any special soil???? My next door neighbours one, is doing so much better than mine,,,I have it in almost the same position in the garden, even covered it up when it was cold, & we got snow....But theirs is doing so much better, help!!!!!
Old 19-09-2010, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Soil type for bottle brush/Callistemon Citrinus

On Sep 18, 10:33*pm, Pauli BP
wrote:
The Bottle Brush common name....But do they need any special soil???? My
next door neighbours one, is doing so much better than mine,,,I have it
in almost the same position in the garden, even covered it up when it
was cold, & we got snow....But theirs is doing so much better, help!!!!!

It's not the plant - it's you! You are suffering from "Bottle Brush
Envy" Suggest you have a chat with your doctor.
Old 20-09-2010, 11:54 AM

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Originally Posted by Pauli BP View Post
The Bottle Brush common name....But do they need any special soil???? My next door neighbours one, is doing so much better than mine,,,I have it in almost the same position in the garden, even covered it up when it was cold, & we got snow....But theirs is doing so much better, help!!!!!
Perhaps next door's is being watered and fed more -they like water and fertiliser. Perhaps it is isn't exactly the same species/variety? For example, I grow C. subulatus because it is the hardiest of the red-flowered bottlebrushes, (though the yellow/green flowered C. viridiflorus is the hardiest of the lot).
Old 20-09-2010, 10:06 PM

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Perhaps next door's is being watered and fed more -they like water and fertiliser. Perhaps it is isn't exactly the same species/variety? For example, I grow C. subulatus because it is the hardiest of the red-flowered bottlebrushes, (though the yellow/green flowered C. viridiflorus is the hardiest of the lot).
Heres another thought, look closely at your neighbours plant and then at your own, could it be that he has talked to someone in the 'know' and been advised to trim to just behind the seedheads so that then, all the energy that would have been used to make (unwanted) seed goes into growth and maybe yours is smothered with these strings of hard seedheads, sapping your plant of energy??? I always advise that these seed heads are removed after flowering so the plant is not 'wasting' large ammounts of energy on producing what are unwanted seeds!!! It makes a big difference to the growth rate???
best wishes, Lannerman