Old 02-07-2012, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Whitetop or Cardaria (Lepidium) draba!

This is, I believe, the identity of the weed which perniciously invades
part of my garden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitetop

http://www.unce.unr.edu/programs/sites/tallwhitetop/

http://jennwarren.hubpages.com/hub/C...awn-and-Garden

Sorry for all the links, but this weed has been the bane of my life for
30 years. I *may* be just starting to see its grip loosening. I've
even risked planting that part of my garden again (except for one
corner). Previously, I've never dared move a wanted plant from that
area of the garden to another for fear of spreading it. I dream of the
day I never see another leafy spring rosette. Pedipalps crossed.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 02-07-2012, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 14:39:27 +0100, Spider wrote:

This is, I believe, the identity of the weed which perniciously invades
part of my garden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitetop

http://www.unce.unr.edu/programs/sites/tallwhitetop/

http://jennwarren.hubpages.com/hub/C...awn-and-Garden

Sorry for all the links, but this weed has been the bane of my life for
30 years. I *may* be just starting to see its grip loosening. I've
even risked planting that part of my garden again (except for one
corner). Previously, I've never dared move a wanted plant from that
area of the garden to another for fear of spreading it. I dream of the
day I never see another leafy spring rosette. Pedipalps crossed.

Oh dear. TBH, I've never heard of this weed being found in the UK
before. I must lead a very sheltered life.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay. We don't yet have a
"dah dah dah dah dee dee deeee" theme tune but we're working on it.

Can't tell astilbe from aranthus
But I can from an acanthus!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/07/2012 16:14, Jake wrote:
[...]

I'll second that, not something I've ever come across in the UK, all the
links are for US sites.
Do you have a picture of yours?
David @ a very wet end of Swansea Bay
Old 02-07-2012, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/07/2012 16:14, Jake wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 14:39:27 +0100, wrote:

[...]

It was in part of my garden when we moved in 31 years ago. I wasn't
aware of it until I decided to turn a lawn into a flower garden. Then
it started to crop up all over that bed. Fortunately, it was
land-locked, so its spread was limited. I've no idea how it got here,
but if leading a sheltered life is a prerequisite to living without it,
I think I'll join a nunnery.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/07/2012 16:58, David Hill wrote:
On 02/07/2012 16:14, Jake wrote:
[...]

I'd never seen it before I moved here 31 years ago. It's taken me all
this time to identify it. Sorry, I don't have a picture of it - I don't
admire it that much! Leaving it long enough to id it with the flowers
present is my idea of a risk too far. However, if it dares to pop up
again, I will try and be patient and take a photograph. My immediate
neighbour also has some in her lawn (which I keep a wary eye on) and I
know she wouldn't mind me photographing hers.

I suppose I should ask RHS Wisley to id it for me since I'm a member,
but we don't go there as often as we did. A thought for the future, if
I'm still plagued with it.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/07/2012 17:20, Spider wrote:
On 02/07/2012 16:14, Jake wrote:
[...]

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/orga.../weed.php?id=9

Just found a link which shows how it came to Britain. Since it reports
it to be found mainly in the Southern and Eastern regions of the UK (My
sil in Essex used to have it), that makes it sound quite likely.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jake
writes
On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 14:39:27 +0100, Spider wrote:

This is, I believe, the identity of the weed which perniciously invades
part of my garden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitetop

http://www.unce.unr.edu/programs/sites/tallwhitetop/

http://jennwarren.hubpages.com/hub/C...oxious-Weeds-I
n-Your-Lawn-and-Garden

Sorry for all the links, but this weed has been the bane of my life for
30 years. I *may* be just starting to see its grip loosening. I've
even risked planting that part of my garden again (except for one
corner). Previously, I've never dared move a wanted plant from that
area of the garden to another for fear of spreading it. I dream of the
day I never see another leafy spring rosette. Pedipalps crossed.

Oh dear. TBH, I've never heard of this weed being found in the UK
before. I must lead a very sheltered life.

There's a largish colony by a canal bank a couple of miles away from me,
but it's scarce of much of the country. It tends to be southeastern and
coastal.
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay. We don't yet have a
"dah dah dah dah dee dee deeee" theme tune but we're working on it.

There are a couple of recorded sites at the east end of Swansea Bay, but
there could be less than 50 sites in the whole of Wales.

Can't tell astilbe from aranthus
But I can from an acanthus!

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-07-2012, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-02 17:49:46 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
said:

In message , Jake
writes
[...]

It would appear that Spider has a rarity and should now go into high
reverse with eradicating it!! I've never seen it before and thought it
looked quite attractive...

You wouldn't think that if you'd lived with it for 30 years! It is only
pretty when in flower, and that is when it is most dangerous. Although
most of those links suggest hoeing is *eventually* effective, I haven't
dared take a hoe to it for fear of chopping up the root and spreading it.

We also had Japanese Knotweed when we moved in. I managed to eradicate
that (although I note it's approaching again from a rear 'garden'), but
Whitetop is horrendous. Don't wish for it. There are plenty of other
white flowers .. Ground Elder, for instance ;~)).

Old 02-07-2012, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2012-07-02 17:49:46 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
said:

In message , Jake
writes
[...]

It's more common in Somerset and south Gloucestershire, but its
strongholds are between Southampton and Ipswich.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/07/2012 16:14, Jake wrote:
[...]

Accidentally introduced to Swansea (Glamorgan) in 1802,

Probably found it much to wet so decided to travel along the railway
tracks till it found ground more to it's liking.

A perennial rhizomatous herb of roadsides, and on dry limestone or
clinker ballast of railways. It also grows on waste ground, in arable
fields on light soils, on sand dunes and other sandy ground,
particularly near the sea, and in the uppermost zone of salt marshes.
Lowland.

Might be around here but I keep away from railway tracks.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-02 17:49:46 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
said:

In message , Jake
writes
[...]

Not such a rarity Sacha, see the map in this link
http://www.brc.ac.uk/plantatlas/inde...ecies-name-329
David @ the very wet end of Swansea bay, where it's been raining almost
all day.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-02 17:49:46 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
said:

In message , Jake
writes
[...]

Herbicide Rate Timing Comments
2,4-D LV ester or amine 2-3 lb ae/A Early bud Noncrop treatment
1 lb ae/A Apply in wheat prior to boot stage Avoid drift to sensitive
crops
MCPA 1-2 lb ae/A Early bud Range and pasture broadleaf weed treatment
Dicamba + 2,4-D 0.5 lb ae/A + 1.36 lb ae/A Bolting to early bud stage
Range and pasture; do not apply when grasses are in the boot stage
Chlorsulfuron 0.37-0.75 oz ai/A Prebloom or to fall rosettes
Nonselective treatment Always use a surfactant
Sulfometuron 0.14-0.23 lb ai/A Prebloom or to fall rosettes Noncrop,
roadside treatment
Glyphosate 3 lb ae/A Early bud Nonselective treatment
Glyphosate 2% v/v Early bud Nonselective spot treatment

Old 02-07-2012, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

On 2012-07-02 17:49:46 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
said:

In message , Jake
writes
[...]

Is this a relative of the weed we have far too much of down this way?
It's the one people here call "shepherd's purse" with the seeds that
'ping' off in all directions the second you touch a pod. It has little
white flowers and seems to bloom at all stages of growth. Afaik, it's
bitter cress but I could have them muddled up.

They're all crucifers. Which crucifers are more closely related to which
other crucifers is not an easy question.

The closest relatives of the pepperworts (Lepidium) are the swine
cresses (Coronopus) - the latest botanical opinion sinks Coronopus in
Lepidium.

Cardamine hirsuta (hairy bitter cress) is a likely identification for
the weed that has seeds that ping off when you touch a pod. But I would
be surprised to see it called shepherd's purse - it has long narrow seed
pods, unlike the obcordate seed pods of Capsella bursa-pastoris
(shepherd's purse) which do have an appearance that one could describe
as purse-like.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-02 17:49:46 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
saidsnip

[...]

I've always though GE has a very pretty leaf! ;-) But while I've never
met your particular pestiferous plant, I can quite see that if it's
taking over, it's a pain!

Yes indeed, GE does have a very pretty leaf *and* flower, but I still
wouldn't invite it into my garden, even if variegated. A certain
Victorian gentleman called Robinson thought Japanese Knotweed was very
handsome. If he'd visited my garden over a hundred years later, I'd
have told him to roll it up very tightly and smoke it;~). Apparently
fire is an excellent way of destroying heaps of JKW.

Do feel free, Sacha, to admire my robust weed. I have no problem with
that, so long as I may continue to haul it up by the root ... so long as
we both shall live :~/

Old 03-07-2012, 12:55 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post

Is this a relative of the weed we have far too much of down this way?
It's the one people here call "shepherd's purse" with the seeds that
'ping' off in all directions the second you touch a pod. It has little
white flowers and seems to bloom at all stages of growth. Afaik, it's
bitter cress but I could have them muddled up.
Both the Cardaria and the bittercresses are in the cabbage family, but they're different genera.

Shepherd's purse is the one with round (purse shaped) seed pods. Also cabbage family.