Old 17-08-2015, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any use for overgrown courgettes?

I am sure I am not alone in this, when I go to harvest my courgettes
inevitably I miss one or two, so next time to go they are over large.
What can these small marrows be used for? Up until now I put them on the
compost heap, any ideas please?
Old 17-08-2015, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Broadback
writes

I am sure I am not alone in this, when I go to harvest my courgettes
inevitably I miss one or two, so next time to go they are over large.
What can these small marrows be used for? Up until now I put them on
the compost heap, any ideas please?

I've used them as marrows.

When this happened to me with gherkins I found that they were too bitter
to do anything with.

But that was a long time ago.

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 17-08-2015, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/08/2015 5:09 PM, Broadback wrote:
I am sure I am not alone in this, when I go to harvest my courgettes
inevitably I miss one or two, so next time to go they are over large.
What can these small marrows be used for? Up until now I put them on the
compost heap, any ideas please?

Chooks adore them. Do you know anyone with hens?
Old 17-08-2015, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/08/2015 08:31, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 17/08/2015 5:09 PM, Broadback wrote:
I am sure I am not alone in this, when I go to harvest my courgettes
inevitably I miss one or two, so next time to go they are over large.
What can these small marrows be used for? Up until now I put them on the
compost heap, any ideas please?

Chooks adore them. Do you know anyone with hens?

sorry ducks I don't! ;-)
Old 17-08-2015, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

In message , Broadback
writes

I am sure I am not alone in this, when I go to harvest my courgettes
inevitably I miss one or two, so next time to go they are over large.
What can these small marrows be used for? Up until now I put them on
the compost heap, any ideas please?

I've used them as marrows.

+1. I make stuffed marrow rings.

Or, this fantastic cake
http://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/v...ate-courgette-
cake

which is my all-time favourite recipe for chocolate cake. Rich, moist,
very chocolatey, and no detectable clue about the secret ingredient

Janet

Old 17-08-2015, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/08/2015 08:09, Broadback wrote:
I am sure I am not alone in this, when I go to harvest my courgettes
inevitably I miss one or two, so next time to go they are over large.
What can these small marrows be used for? Up until now I put them on the
compost heap, any ideas please?

I once put them in a food processor and turned them to a wet pulp
which was then mixed with white flour, yeast, salt and a very little
water to make a fine, fancy pale green savoury bread which was served
with gazpacho or carrot soup for a good colourful lunch.

I can't remember the actual proportions of the ingredients, and even
that didn't use much more than a spare pound of courgette.

Tim w
Old 17-08-2015, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 08:09:19 +0100, Broadback wrote:

I am sure I am not alone in this, when I go to harvest my courgettes
inevitably I miss one or two, so next time to go they are over large.
What can these small marrows be used for? Up until now I put them on the
compost heap, any ideas please?

They go pretty well on the BBQ with a teriyaki-type marinade. You need a
low enough fire to give them time to soften, then cut the skin off before
serving.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 17-08-2015, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Emery Davis wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 08:09:19 +0100, Broadback wrote:

I am sure I am not alone in this, when I go to harvest my courgettes
inevitably I miss one or two, so next time to go they are over large.
What can these small marrows be used for? Up until now I put them on the
compost heap, any ideas please?

They go pretty well on the BBQ with a teriyaki-type marinade. You need a
low enough fire to give them time to soften, then cut the skin off before
serving.

Moderately overgrown ones are OK if there is something to give them
some taste, though they are mostly mush. Immoderately overgrown ones
are best recycled in the way that the OP mentioned :-)

For people who have the space, I very strongly recommend Trombonchino
d'Albenga, as a 'courgette' that remains tasty and with good texture
even at huge sizes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-08-2015, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I am sure I am not alone in this, when I go to harvest my courgettes
inevitably I miss one or two, so next time to go they are over large. What
can these small marrows be used for? Up until now I put them on the compost
heap, any ideas please?

Google "stuffed marrow recipes"

Old 17-08-2015, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Fran Farmer" wrote in message
On 17/08/2015 5:09 PM, Broadback wrote:
I am sure I am not alone in this, when I go to harvest my courgettes
inevitably I miss one or two, so next time to go they are over large.
What can these small marrows be used for? Up until now I put them on the
compost heap, any ideas please?

Chooks adore them. Do you know anyone with hens?

That's a last resort. I have hens and they do love overgrown courgettes.
Grate them into omelettes. Use besan flour with grated courgettes to make
fritters. Fill them with mince and bake them.. Slice them & quarter the
slices, freeze for biryani, or stir fries later.

Old 17-08-2015, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/08/2015 22:13, Christina Websell wrote:
"Fran Farmer" wrote in message
On 17/08/2015 5:09 PM, Broadback wrote:
I am sure I am not alone in this, when I go to harvest my courgettes
inevitably I miss one or two, so next time to go they are over large.
What can these small marrows be used for? Up until now I put them on the
compost heap, any ideas please?

Chooks adore them. Do you know anyone with hens?

That's a last resort. I have hens and they do love overgrown courgettes.
Grate them into omelettes. Use besan flour with grated courgettes to make
fritters. Fill them with mince and bake them.. Slice them & quarter the
slices, freeze for biryani, or stir fries later.

Why not let one or two grow to full size and ripen, a good winter veg.

Old 17-08-2015, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 17/08/2015 22:13, Christina Websell wrote:
"Fran Farmer" wrote in message
On 17/08/2015 5:09 PM, Broadback wrote:
I am sure I am not alone in this, when I go to harvest my courgettes
inevitably I miss one or two, so next time to go they are over large.
What can these small marrows be used for? Up until now I put them on
the
compost heap, any ideas please?

Chooks adore them. Do you know anyone with hens?

That's a last resort. I have hens and they do love overgrown courgettes.
Grate them into omelettes. Use besan flour with grated courgettes to
make
fritters. Fill them with mince and bake them.. Slice them & quarter the
slices, freeze for biryani, or stir fries later.

Why not let one or two grow to full size and ripen, a good winter veg.

David, no one seems to know how to cook nowadays. If I presented my young
sister in law with a marrow, she wouldn't know what to do with it. She
hadn't eaten swede until a month ago. She wasn't keen. Shortly I will make
her eat broad beans for the first time.
I've told her she must increase her palate from only peas and carrots. Meat
wise, more than chicken or turkey into diced pork. Beef is a step too far
atm, as is lamb.
Myself, I eat almost anything. Except tripe and I don't fancy squid
either.

Old 18-08-2015, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 23:59:11 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

[]
Myself, I eat almost anything. Except tripe and I don't fancy squid
either.

I'm with you: tripe is a step to far. People around here adore it though.

Talk of grating reminds me of a recipe we did just only last week, grated
(overgrown) courgette bake. Sort of a crustless quiche, fill a casserole
with grated courgette, pour beaten eggs/milk over it, top with grated
cheese. (Sometimes we add bacon to the mix, although not last week.)
Bake medium for 30-ish minutes. Makes a good main course along with a
salad. We call it a Katherine-bake after our friend who thought us how
to do it.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 18-08-2015, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/08/2015 8:02 PM, Broadback wrote:
On 17/08/2015 08:31, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 17/08/2015 5:09 PM, Broadback wrote:
I am sure I am not alone in this, when I go to harvest my courgettes
inevitably I miss one or two, so next time to go they are over large.
What can these small marrows be used for? Up until now I put them on the
compost heap, any ideas please?

Chooks adore them. Do you know anyone with hens?

sorry ducks I don't! ;-)

:-)) Worth finding a hen owner because a few dozen fresh eggs may come
your way in return. I'm no fan of the big ones so like to give a treat
to my chooks.
Old 18-08-2015, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/08/2015 7:06 PM, Emery Davis wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 23:59:11 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

[]
Myself, I eat almost anything. Except tripe and I don't fancy squid
either.

I'm with you: tripe is a step to far. People around here adore it though.

Talk of grating reminds me of a recipe we did just only last week, grated
(overgrown) courgette bake. Sort of a crustless quiche, fill a casserole
with grated courgette, pour beaten eggs/milk over it, top with grated
cheese. (Sometimes we add bacon to the mix, although not last week.)
Bake medium for 30-ish minutes. Makes a good main course along with a
salad. We call it a Katherine-bake after our friend who thought us how
to do it.

Are you thinking of the dreaded and ubiquitous Zucchini Slice (probably
called courgette something in the UK neck of the woods)? Ingredients
onion, zucchini/courgette, bacon grated cheese, SR flour, oil, eggs S&P.
That comes out a bit like a crustless quiche and is a good way of
getting rid of 375g of grated zucchini..

courgettes potting on? Duncan United Kingdom 18 09-05-2009 07:41 AM
Courgettes, should they do this? Colin Davidson United Kingdom 3 10-06-2003 11:32 AM
courgettes Hugh United Kingdom 3 21-05-2003 06:08 PM
Anyone use manure? What is the best mix and ratio to use? Allen Smith Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:21 AM
Cement to use/not to use around pond? IanQ Ponds 2 06-03-2003 09:52 AM