Clover like weed with yellow flowers

Old 17-08-2003, 10:25 PM
Mike

Default Clover like weed with yellow flowers

Over the past year or two I;ve noticed and increase in a weed that has
small clover like leaves, dark brown/green with tiny yellow flowers. It
seems to get everywhere and has a very fragile but evasive weed system
so getting it all out is very difficult.

Have tried tumbledown, weed wand and straightforward weeding but it
seems to keep coming back.

Anyone know what it is and what is the best form of attack ?

Cheers
--
Mike Cox
Old 18-08-2003, 12:05 AM
ned

Mike wrote:
Over the past year or two I;ve noticed and increase in a weed that

has
small clover like leaves, dark brown/green with tiny yellow flowers.
It seems to get everywhere and has a very fragile but evasive weed
system so getting it all out is very difficult.

Have tried tumbledown, weed wand and straightforward weeding but it
seems to keep coming back.

Anyone know what it is and what is the best form of attack ?

At a guess, it's Yellow Oxalis (Oxalis corniculata).
The bane of my life!!!
Whatever you do, try to stop it in flower. That is when it is most
noticeable. But the seed pods seem capable of ejecting seed over
considerable distances and once it is in the lawn it is almost
impossible to eradicate.
The thing that bugs me most, is that the weed is actually offered for
sale in garden centres!!!
Urrrrgh.
I still try to hand weed whenever I see it. But, yes, you do need to
get all of that fragile root out.

--
ned

Old 18-08-2003, 12:05 AM
David Hill

Sounds like Pearl wort to me.
Don't know what is left on the shelf in the line of weedkillers, Clovertox
would have been the thing in the old days

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 18-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Mike
writes

Over the past year or two I;ve noticed and increase in a weed that has
small clover like leaves, dark brown/green with tiny yellow flowers. It
seems to get everywhere and has a very fragile but evasive weed system
so getting it all out is very difficult.

Have tried tumbledown, weed wand and straightforward weeding but it
seems to keep coming back.

Anyone know what it is and what is the best form of attack ?

Oxalis.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 18-08-2003, 01:03 AM
bnd777

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Mike
writes

Over the past year or two I;ve noticed and increase in a weed that has
small clover like leaves, dark brown/green with tiny yellow flowers. It
seems to get everywhere and has a very fragile but evasive weed system
so getting it all out is very difficult.

Have tried tumbledown, weed wand and straightforward weeding but it
seems to keep coming back.

Anyone know what it is and what is the best form of attack ?

Oxalis.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Amazing I too am fighting Oxalis on the lawn yet the purple leaf Oxalis I
paid good money for simply will not survive in my flower beds

Old 18-08-2003, 10:10 AM
pied piper

"Mike" wrote in message

Over the past year or two I;ve noticed and increase in a weed that has
small clover like leaves, dark brown/green with tiny yellow flowers. It
seems to get everywhere and has a very fragile but evasive weed system
so getting it all out is very difficult.

Have tried tumbledown, weed wand and straightforward weeding but it
seems to keep coming back.

Anyone know what it is and what is the best form of attack ?

Cheers
--
Mike Cox

id say pearlwort contact avoncrop or rigby taylor for clovertox then
scarify like hell