Old 18-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Registered User

Question Best mulcher?

Hello:

I want to buy another mulcher.

What are gardener's recommendations? WhicH is the best one?

Thanks....JOLANDA
Old 18-10-2005, 07:49 PM
gardenlen

Default Best mulcher?

g'day jolanda,

read your other post for me the electrics are little more than toys
fit for only very light work haven't met anyone yet who buys one who
doesn't use it beyond its capacity.

the answer to this question and you'll have to think outside the
square is the best shredder in all my experiences is the! are you
ready for it??

the greenfield piecemaker petrol engine model for the average
suburbian garden the 5hp range should well and truely do if money is
no object get the larger electric start model not sure if they are 8.5
or 10 hp whatever the honda motor seems to be the preffered?? i had
the b&s 5hp and with all b&s engines i ever owned it did the job
reliably, so the choice is yours.

keep us informed

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1
Old 19-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Registered User

Smile

Thanks for your reply Len.

I was really wanting to keep with the electric theme as it's more environmentally friendly than petrol engines. However, it seems that I may have to review my anti-petrol engine stance and perhaps look at the honda engine you mentioned (BTW I also have heard good things about tbis US built engine).

I had another run with the electric this evening & it is woeful to say the least - it jams contininually & cannot even cut up light sticks! I'm not at all impressed & will definitely be returning the electric on Friday (Holiday here tomorrow - Hobart).

I may also have a look at the Viking electric - but as you say - it appears the electrics do not do that great a job.

Many thanks for your comments. Best...............Jolanda
Old 19-10-2005, 07:53 PM
gardenlen

g'day jolanda,

um the way i see it neither is anymore environmentlay friendlier than
the other, the small ammount of exhaust emmission that would come from
one of these petrol engines compared to waht generates from a power
station using fossil fuels to power electric machinery might well be
at the same scale or the electric could be worse especially if you
take into account what is used in the manufacture of electric engines
which are basically unrecyclable. a shredder is one of those things
that isn't used on a dialy basis unlike the motor car.

still say go for the petrol engine model as it sounds like your work
is beyond what the toy electric's can handle.

at the end of the day if we want to adopt more environmently friendly
practises then simply put all the rottable stuff in a pile it will
break down over time and still be just as beneficial in the garden.

Old 20-10-2005, 07:17 AM
APR

Check and make sure it has blades on the disk. From what you are saying it
sounds like a possibility.

Old 21-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Registered User

Len - Looking at the honda petrol one next week.

BTW Tasmania is 100% hydro power - no coal at all...Jola
Old 21-10-2005, 07:35 PM
gardenlen

good one jolanda,

oh how much habitat destruction did it take to create the hydro-power?
there is lots to consider nothing is perfect.

anyhow when there are no cars, trucks, boats and plains then the
little bit of pollution that garden equipment causes may become an
issue.

i think you have made a wise decision the honda has a good reputation
in this application.

enjoy

Old 22-10-2005, 02:45 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Jolanda" wrote in message

Hello:

I want to buy another mulcher.

What are gardener's recommendations? WhicH is the best one?

Thanks....JOLANDA

I would second the view that electric are a waste of time, they just don't
have enough power. You will spend half your time unclogging and unjamming
it even if you are very limited in what you put into it. For the amount of
time you will have it running the cost of burning the petrol to the
environment is nothing compared to the saving in the amount of mulch and
woodchip you can recycle on your own property if the mulcher works well.

David

Old 22-10-2005, 03:27 AM
Flying Echidna

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:15:09 +0000, Jolanda
wrote in aus.gardens:

BTW Tasmania is 100% hydro power - no coal at all...Jola

Alas it isn't - Tasmania is connected via the Basslink undersea cable
to the national grid and is happily using coal generated electricity
like the rest of us

Regards
Prickles

This message only uses recycled electrons
Old 26-11-2005, 01:13 PM posted to aus.gardens
jlhendo

I have an "Ozito" electric, Silent mulcher and absolutely love it. It
operates at 40RPM and makes very little noise. "Ozito" is a Bunnings brand
and cost me $265. It handles up to 40mm branches without a problem.
J.Hennessy