Old 20-11-2005, 12:29 AM posted to aus.gardens
The Rat Hehehe

Default Idle Problem Honda Mower Buffalo HRU196 GXV160 OHV

Idle Problem Honda Mower Buffalo HRU196 GXV160 OHV

Hi folks

I have a Honda mower with a GXV160 OHV 5.5 Hp engine that will not idle. It
appears to run ok at full revs, but when I bring it back to idle the motor
slows them speed up again over and over at if the engine is running to slow
and the governor is compensating for the low revs.

The governor spring and lever are connected at the top of the governor lever
to the carby and the lower spring on the governor lever is still connected
to another lever attached to the throttle cable.

This problem started after I removed the blade disk to replace the blades.

Any ideas or is it a trip to the dealer

Old 21-11-2005, 08:38 AM posted to aus.gardens
Rheilly Phoull

"The Rat Hehehe" wrote in message
Idle Problem Honda Mower Buffalo HRU196 GXV160 OHV

Hi folks

I have a Honda mower with a GXV160 OHV 5.5 Hp engine that will not idle.
It
appears to run ok at full revs, but when I bring it back to idle the motor
slows them speed up again over and over at if the engine is running to
slow
and the governor is compensating for the low revs.

The governor spring and lever are connected at the top of the governor
lever
to the carby and the lower spring on the governor lever is still connected
to another lever attached to the throttle cable.

This problem started after I removed the blade disk to replace the blades.

Any ideas or is it a trip to the dealer

mebbe if you had tipped it up to change the blades some 'gunk' has been
dislodged and is blocking the idle jet ?

--
Regards ......... Rheilly Phoull

Old 26-11-2005, 09:45 AM posted to aus.gardens
The Rat Hehehe

All fixed now.
For those that wanted to know it was the idle jet partly blocked. The motor
would run well when the choke was applied (Applying the choke at the carbie
not by pushing the throttle full forward)
Thanks to those for the guidance. My local Honda dealer was not that
forth coming with info on what could be wrong. I guess he may have been
thinking of the lining of his pocket.

And for the B&S comment. I still have my first Victor with a 3.5 Hp B&S.
Over 25 years old & still runs with the knocking sound it had the first day
I started it. As far as starting the old B&S first or second pull like the
Honda, forget it. More like a marathon run to get the old B&S started

Kind Regards

Anthony

"M" wrote in message
oups.com...
=

Buy superior Briggs&Stratton next time....

Old 04-12-2005, 09:36 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jacko

The Rat Hehehe wrote:
All fixed now.
For those that wanted to know it was the idle jet partly blocked. The motor
would run well when the choke was applied (Applying the choke at the carbie
not by pushing the throttle full forward)
Thanks to those for the guidance. My local Honda dealer was not that
forth coming with info on what could be wrong. I guess he may have been
thinking of the lining of his pocket.

And for the B&S comment. I still have my first Victor with a 3.5 Hp B&S.
Over 25 years old & still runs with the knocking sound it had the first day
I started it. As far as starting the old B&S first or second pull like the
Honda, forget it. More like a marathon run to get the old B&S started

Kind Regards

Anthony

"M" wrote in message
oups.com...
=

Buy superior Briggs&Stratton next time....

Yea he was a B/S dealer most likely (B/S Briggs and Stratton? No Bull
Shit dealer)
Honda kills the opposition. I reckon he would recommend 2 stroke mowers
too. Great for new Australians who only fill them with standard petrol,
and sees them at the Mower repair shop. Nine out of ten repairs are two
strokes, the others are fool related (water in fuel problems), and dirt
type problems. Australia dont leave your petrol tin outside in the
rain. (Er now you know why mower shops have been closing no rain no
grass no water in fuel) You will get water in it. Now you know. Back to
gardening.

Old 10-12-2005, 03:17 AM posted to aus.gardens
Wylie Wilde

Your problem could have been caused when you removed the blades.

If you tilt the mower the wrong way- when you removed the blades- the oil
sump could very well have leaked out and fouled the spark plugs or filter
etc..

You are only suppose to tilt the mower so that the spark plug section is
"top up"- / high up / raised up. Bit hard to describe without a picture