Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Sue

Default Millipedes

Hi all,
I am well underway with my Pilbara garden. I have managed to get my
hands on some mushroom and straw mulch, at $120 per trailer, but I am sure
it will be worth it in the long run. I have also checked out where the
cattle hang out by the windmills up the highway and will go and get some
dung as soon as I can.

Anyway, my question for today is - I have noticed that I suddenly seem
to have hundreds of millipedes fossicking around the soil. Is this ok or
will they start eating out roots?

Thanks in advance.

Sue Karratha WA.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish

In article , Sue wrote:
Hi all,
I am well underway with my Pilbara garden. I have managed to get my
hands on some mushroom and straw mulch, at $120 per trailer, but I am sure
it will be worth it in the long run. I have also checked out where the
cattle hang out by the windmills up the highway and will go and get some
dung as soon as I can.

Anyway, my question for today is - I have noticed that I suddenly seem
to have hundreds of millipedes fossicking around the soil. Is this ok or
will they start eating out roots?

Thanks in advance.

I'd leave them. In general, increased biological diversity in the
garden is a good thing. As time goes by you'll get more and more
different kinds of creature that will all eat each other, act as
decomposers and even some as pests. A garden left to develop it's own
ecology will generally be easier to manage in the long run, even if
there are a few outbreaks in the early days. My philiosophy is to
keep planting what works for you.

--
Replace abuse with kd21 in email address to assure valid reply
address.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Sue

Thanks Holly, you share similar thoughts to mine. I really dislike killing
things off but was worried that up here it is hard enough for plants to get
a hold. I have noticed a little mudlark is visiting a lot, hopefully he
will enjoy them.

Millipedes nightmare GrlIntrpted Orchids 6 06-12-2003 03:32 PM
Bush snails (was: Millipedes -- new orchids) Eric Hunt Orchids 18 23-07-2003 01:42 AM
Millipedes -- new orchids Steve Orchids 1 15-07-2003 05:33 AM
Millipedes Surfs Up Gardening 3 17-05-2003 02:44 AM
millipedes all over the place! Terry Horton Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:08 AM