Old 15-07-2003, 06:54 AM
Eric Hunt

Default Bush snails (was: Millipedes -- new orchids)

Kathy,

Next time you find an infestation of bush snails, try drowning the plant in
a drench of:

1 part strong coffee
1 part water

The caffeine in the coffee is highly toxic to mollusks.

I think I read about this either on this newsgroup or on OGD.

-Eric in SF

"K Barrett" wrote in message
I just tossed out a Cirr Elizabeth Ann that was loaded with bush snails.

Old 15-07-2003, 05:02 PM
K Barrett

Death by Coffee.

By Eric Hunt

It was a dark and stormy night. The wind howled, branches scraped against
the siding of the GH, where all was snug, tucked up inside. Or so it seemed.

Down at the cattleya end of the greenhouse a mixed crowd of scale and thrips
were feasting on new buds, burst fresh from their sheaths just that morning.

"That crowd just ruins the neighborhood" remarked a slug as he passed Barney
the Bushsnail crawling along a rhizome. "Always flitting about, their larvae
escaping through drainage holes. I tell you, there ought to be a law."

Barney agreed, however he didn't really feel that way. He just wanted to let
the slug go on its way. "Down to the tray of beer, no doubt." thought
Barney. "Slugs! Ha! They are soooo predictable."

Barney liked to stay snugly hidden amongst fine roots. Away from the sturm
and drang of everyday greenhouse life. Others considered Barney to be almost
a monk, beer never affected him the way it did common slugs and snails. He
was never lured by the wafting odors of metaldehyde. Nope, not Barney! He
learned from other pest's mistakes. Barney had assured himself of a long and
prosperous future by being small, medium colored and investing in Intel at
$6.

Just then, as he was reflecting on his bright future, it happened. At first
he thought a bit of the rain out doors had dripped into the pot whose roots
he was currently feasting on. Moisture! Glorious moisture! He was a lucky
little bushsnail, now wasn't he?! And there was something different about
this moisture. Different from the usual rain. Ah! The aroma! There was a
certain complexity to the acid/tannin balance. "There must be something dead
on the roof." thought Barney. "However its making this water really rather
intriguing. Insouciant! Piquant! And just a hint of vanilla.... ummmmm...
vanilla!" Barney crawled further into the stream, bathing fully in the
waters." Ahh! That's making my skin feel just smooth and slippery all over!
I feel like a whole new me! Forget bo-tox! This skin peel is marvelous!"
Heady with glee Barney kept bathing and bathing. Soon he was joined by other
mollusks. Slugs, snails and other bushsnails all partying up a big time in
the Bulbo section of the greenhouse. Someone started some music playing.
"Summer's here and the time is right, for dancing in the street!"

But then the music screached horribly to a halt.

"What's happening to your face?" a slug screamed at Barney. "Its all melty!
Worse than [gulp] SALT!"

Barney looked around and it was true. They were all melting... melting.
Something was spoiling their horrible wickedness.

"See Kath? Its true." Eric said as he poured some left over espresso blended
with water over the Cirr Elizabeth Ann. "Mollusks just hate the stuff."

The End

K Barrett

Old 15-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:39:33 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

[...]

LOL after that I guess I best go make another pot. This one is
gone. Thanks Kath. I really needed that. G
SuE
Old 15-07-2003, 08:11 PM
Diana Kulaga

Death by Coffee.

By Eric Hunt

This, Kathy, is one of the things I love about you - you think the same way
I do. Scary, huh? ROFL!

Diana

Old 15-07-2003, 08:14 PM
Dave

I have been cleaning my coffee filter, which is fine screen, in my shade
house for over a year. Before I started I had a snail problem, this year I
have had no snail problem, all those coffee grounds on the ground seem to
keep the snails away.

Old 15-07-2003, 09:22 PM
tbell

FOFLOL!
Tom
Nikon Coolpix 5700
(Please remove appendix to reply by e-mail)

Old 15-07-2003, 10:17 PM
Wendy

Kathy, this is priceless! You are so talented. You should be writing books!
1....Barney Coffee Potter.
The author of Harry Potter is now the richest woman in the world!
Cheers Wendy

Old 16-07-2003, 06:14 AM
Eric Hunt

Kathy,

Now that's some of the best ghostwriting around! Super funny to come home
from work and read. =)

-Eric in SF

Old 16-07-2003, 06:06 PM
K Barrett

Ants too? Think it'll keep away ants? Ants are my big trouble. But hey, Lord
knows we make enough coffee grounds around here. Willing to try anything.
Once, LOL!

K Barrett

. com...

Old 17-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Ray

I don't recall anyone saying it works against all slugs and snails, just
Bush Snails. That's my experience, anyway.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Wendy" wrote in message news:yAhRa.355$Ne.57@fed1read03...
chuckle You know I recall a thread like this some time back. Anyway I
religiously saved my old coffee
grounds which I put in a large shallow pan. Being the sceptic that I am, I
found 5 slugs, easy to do in my
garden, added some water & put a cover over them.
I forgot about this little experiment for about a week
& then lifted the lid & there they all were clinging to the lid.
They were all a red brown colour, alive & well!
Picture these little nasty bud chomping buggars on a caffeine high!!!
I use stuff called THATS IT & it works.
Cheers Wendy
"K Barrett" wrote in message
newsneRa.65551$GL4.17028@rwcrnsc53...
Ha! Barney Coffee Potter! LOL! Think I can sell it to an agent?

Millipedes nightmare GrlIntrpted Orchids 6 06-12-2003 03:32 PM
Millipedes -- new orchids Steve Orchids 1 15-07-2003 05:33 AM
Millipedes Surfs Up Gardening 3 17-05-2003 02:44 AM
millipedes all over the place! Terry Horton Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:08 AM
Millipedes Sue Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:36 AM