Old 15-07-2003, 02:22 AM
Steve

Default Millipedes -- new orchids

Why do 1/2 of my new orchids from local nurseries and from Ebay
sellers contain millipedes?

I treat all new plants with pyola which seems to kill them.

What does others do?

Do you just repot ALL new arrivals and treat with an insecticide?

Thank you,
Steverd

Old 15-07-2003, 05:33 AM
K Barrett

Yes, a very good habit to get into is to repot new arrivals, unless they are
in bloom. But yes, orchids - especially from questionable sources like
friends, society memmbers and eBay - will have bugs, So repot them.

I just tossed out a Cirr Elizabeth Ann that was loaded with bush snails. I
got it from a club member. If I liked the plant I would have tried to save
it. But the snails had their way, and it was toast anyway. Better to be rid
of it than try to save it.

Not that I'm saying you should toss your plant LOL!! Just that these things
can be filled with lord knows what, so repot.

K Barrett

"Steve" wrote in message
Why do 1/2 of my new orchids from local nurseries and from Ebay
sellers contain millipedes?

I treat all new plants with pyola which seems to kill them.

What does others do?

Do you just repot ALL new arrivals and treat with an insecticide?

Thank you,
Steverd

Millipedes nightmare GrlIntrpted Orchids 6 06-12-2003 03:32 PM
Bush snails (was: Millipedes -- new orchids) Eric Hunt Orchids 18 23-07-2003 01:42 AM
Millipedes Surfs Up Gardening 3 17-05-2003 02:44 AM
millipedes all over the place! Terry Horton Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:08 AM
Millipedes Sue Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:36 AM