Old 04-05-2006, 08:10 AM
Registered User

Location: Busselton WA

[/color]
Feedback if this works please. Dont breathe the dust from this stuff
as it may be harmfull if not observed.
Really great stuff to stop cabbage flutterbies.
[/color]

It works great. I originally found out about this from an article in a
science magazine some years ago.

I tried it at home as we had persistent termites in the backyard. Now
they are no longer there and they are gone from the surrounding
properties also. They must travel quite a distance underground.

Cheers

[/color]
No white ants but plenty of the black argentinian ants....[/quote]

Now that's a thought jonno! If DIPEL works on argentinian ants it would be a sensation. But Argentinians aren't black? They're a honey colour. i once did an article on Argentinian ants and researched pretty thoroughly. The ag. board entymologist demonstrated to me that sometimes the only way to distinguish argentinian ants from other similar species is to count the 'teeth' on the mandibles under a microscope.

there's a much darker 'coastal brown ant' that might be your problem. But your not a whole lot better off if it is :-) but a bit I think.

A good way of using dipel on white ants would be to insert a capped length of PVC pipe into the nearby soil with some slots in the side and stuffed with paper.

Old 04-05-2006, 04:38 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Default white ants

godwin wrote:

[...]

They are honey coloured.. Yep. Wasn't thinking... :-(
Old 04-05-2006, 04:42 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Jonno wrote:
godwin wrote:

[...]

They are honey coloured.. Yep. Wasn't thinking... :-([/color]
Apparently Melbourne where I live has one of the largest single colony
of Argentinian ants in the world. Why is it so?
It hasn't got any enemies due to all the colony being related to each
other...by species...
Now if dipel could wipe em out, we'd be much happier...Doesnt work on
pollies does it?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:56 PM posted to aus.gardens
Permaculture with Bill Mollison

"Jonno" wrote in message
Jonno wrote:
godwin wrote:

[...]

They are honey coloured.. Yep. Wasn't thinking... :-([/color][/color]

I don't know if it works on them - it does work on the little black
and smaller brown (not Argentinian) ants that we have here. We had
such a severe plague of those, so bad that the ground felf like a
sponge under your feet due to excessive nests plus they were always
getting into the house.

I used dipel on those about 2 years ago and they are now under
control - not gone completely though. They never fully recovered from
it so the Dipel bacterium must still be actively working in the soil I
assume.

Try it on the Argentinians and let us know. If it does work then also
contact Gardening Australia & pass it on :-)

Apparently Melbourne where I live has one of the largest single
colony of Argentinian ants in the world. Why is it so?
It hasn't got any enemies due to all the colony being related to
each other...by species...

Not just by species but as a single 'family' colony rather than
seperate colonies with different genetics & pheromones.

Now if dipel could wipe em out, we'd be much happier...Doesnt work
on pollies does it?

We can only dream

Old 05-05-2006, 02:07 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Permaculture with Bill Mollison wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message

Jonno wrote:

godwin wrote:

[...]

PS Dipel also works with tomato grubs...
Whatever theyre called but it seems the tomatoes didnt grow so well this
year. Whats bugging them I wonder...
Anyone have any clues?

Old 05-05-2006, 03:05 AM posted to aus.gardens
Sandgroper

thanks for the info... i'll get some today. We live in white ant territory
here so it won't go to waste.
cheers

wrote in message ...
"Sandgroper" wrote in message
I noticed what I think to be white ant activity in a gum tree near my
vegie
garden this morning. Any suggestions on how to save the tree but,
more
importantly, kill the ants!
Cheers, Carmel

Use 'DIPEL' which contains a bacteria, available from any (good)
garden centre. (intended for caterpillars, but works like a charm)

Mix it up a sachet and pour it around & on the tree, including into
where you disturbed them (disturb them as much as possible). They will
carry this bacteria back into the nest & wipe out the whole nest.

It also kills many species of nuisance ants.

Environmentally friendly too.