Old 09-06-2006, 03:41 AM posted to aus.gardens
Yau

Default Sea weed solution

Hello,

Bunnings is selling several seaweed solutions. It seems a number of them
come are meant to be attached to watering hoses and sprayed.

What about decantering the mixture into a pump sprayer and spray the mixture
onto the plants.

I've been doing that but keeping the ratio small- 20ml - 50ml per 6 litres
of water. (My pump sprayer is 6 litres, u see)

Should I increase the dosage- to 100ml? (i.e. a teacup full).

Cheers!

Old 09-06-2006, 06:56 AM posted to aus.gardens
GreenieLeBrun

Yau wrote:
Hello,

Bunnings is selling several seaweed solutions. It seems a number of them
come are meant to be attached to watering hoses and sprayed.

What about decantering the mixture into a pump sprayer and spray the mixture
onto the plants.

I've been doing that but keeping the ratio small- 20ml - 50ml per 6 litres
of water. (My pump sprayer is 6 litres, u see)

Should I increase the dosage- to 100ml? (i.e. a teacup full).

Cheers!

The Seasol site ( http://www.nrrbs.com.au/fertseasol.htm ) recomends
25ml per 9 litres every 2 weeks which works out at 16.67mL/6L, so I
guess 15 - 20 mL/6L would be OK. Of course this may vary from brand to
brand.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:47 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

GreenieLeBrun wrote:
Yau wrote:

Hello,

Bunnings is selling several seaweed solutions. It seems a number of them
come are meant to be attached to watering hoses and sprayed.

What about decantering the mixture into a pump sprayer and spray the mixture
onto the plants.

I've been doing that but keeping the ratio small- 20ml - 50ml per 6 litres
of water. (My pump sprayer is 6 litres, u see)

Should I increase the dosage- to 100ml? (i.e. a teacup full).

Cheers!

The Seasol site ( http://www.nrrbs.com.au/fertseasol.htm ) recomends
25ml per 9 litres every 2 weeks which works out at 16.67mL/6L, so I
guess 15 - 20 mL/6L would be OK. Of course this may vary from brand to
brand.

Why dont you just send them the money. and save yourself the work?
Forget about gardening?
It seems like this gardening hobby is less than a hobby and more like a
money wasting exercise these days.
In my day (I'm 60) we would use what ever fertiliser was parked at the
locations. Including horse sheep and cow manure.
Sea weed fertiliser at Dollars a few weeks would have put me of
gardening.. I was trying to save money and not spend it... You dont need
to. Whats happeningto the world. You may as well spend the moeny at the
green grocer and forget about gardening.
Plant what will grow without expensive fertiliser. It gets washed away
most of it... Use only what your plant will respond to. No more.
Recycle organic waste products etc...
Old 11-06-2006, 02:40 PM posted to aus.gardens
James Martin

"Jonno" wrote in message

Why dont you just send them the money. and save yourself the work? Forget
about gardening?
It seems like this gardening hobby is less than a hobby and more like a
money wasting exercise these days.

Beats me Pops. Maybe its cos we just like gardening.

Besides neighbors tend to frown when you use your own dung or urine mixed in
with the sprays. Smells a bit iffy y'see.

Old 15-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Registered User

Location: Tinana Queensland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonno
GreenieLeBrun wrote:
Yau wrote:

[...]

I totally agree with the last comment. The only shop purchased fertilizer I use at times is Charlie Carp - at least it makes use of the feral European Carp in our rivers. I use mainly Chook manure (from my next door neighbour), Horse manure, and very recently I got on to some cow manure - so far have got about 4 1/2 tonnes of the stuff - cost me $45.00! Most is too fresh to use at the moment, but about a tonne of it is very well rotted down. Some of the fresh stuff I intend to put into a drum with water for liquid fertilizer - where I also have some horse manure, but the well rotted stuff is going straight into the garden and with two acres of red clay soil to try and bash into shape I reckon I need quite a bit more. I will also use some of the rotted stuff in my Bonsai mix - just about the best fertilizer you can get for miniature trees. I also save all our waste scraps and compost them down. Most of this 'fertilizer' stuff you buy is just about useless and way overpriced. A few dried cow pats from a paddock will do a much better job. By the way, Seasol isn't supposed to be a fertilizer - it is supposed to be a 'soil conditioner'. I reckon Gypsum, sulphur (whatever your soil needs) or a decent fertilizer would be far better.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:23 AM posted to aus.gardens
Stan E. Markerson

"TinanaTaffy" wrote in
[...]

You do realize for the average household gardener - handling 4 tonnes of
fresh cow dung is simply impractical?

All I can say is that I use the seaweed solution on my roses and bulbs and
they do very well.

At other times I rely on dynamic lifter.

The seaweed solution is not for soil conditioner - but a good and quick
boost for the plants via their leaf system. The annuals love the stuff.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:20 AM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1

"Stan E. Markerson" wrote in message
"TinanaTaffy" wrote in

(snip) very recently I got on to
some cow manure - so far have got about 4 1/2 tonnes of the

stuff -
(snip) with two acres of red clay soil to try and bash into shape

reckon I need quite a bit more.

You do realize for the average household gardener - handling 4

tonnes of
fresh cow dung is simply impractical?

Huh? The OP says that they have 2 acres to bash into shape so are
hardly an "average Household gardener"

Vinegar/water weed killing solution? NOT! Cereoid-UR12yo Gardening 15 29-04-2012 05:31 PM
Sea Shepherd News Japan Acknowledges Sea Shepherd’s Defense of the Whales Holly United Kingdom 1 17-04-2008 04:30 PM
Sea Shepherd Announces: Seal Defense Campaign 2008! Sea ShepherdCrew to Shift from the Southern Ice to the Northern Ice [email protected] United Kingdom 1 06-04-2008 08:41 AM
OT sea to shining sea KenCo Ponds 0 21-11-2003 03:13 AM
Vinegar/water weed killing solution? Yes! Salty Thumb Gardening 1 28-06-2003 02:56 AM