Old 25-09-2006, 09:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default weed control

I need a little help with my outdoor area. Its made of bricks and moss
and weeds coming threw. it has direct sunlight but is always moist.
Cant change it as im only renting. Can anyone recommed a weed killer
that kills both weeds but is gentle around pets.

Old 25-09-2006, 12:12 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need a little help with my outdoor area. Its made of bricks and moss
and weeds coming threw. it has direct sunlight but is always moist.
Cant change it as im only renting. Can anyone recommed a weed killer
that kills both weeds but is gentle around pets.

i'd keep the moss - mossy bricks are pretty!

for broadleafed and many other weeds growing on/in paths or patios etc, just
boil the kettle & pour the boiling water on them. (magic). (the only type of
weed that this treatment just won't work for is tough spindly grasses you
can't flatten enough to give them a decent dose of boiling water.) failing
all that, roundup or zero, but go the boiling water first. they'll die
immediately, or they won't - then you can proceed to plan b only if they
don't.
kylie

Old 26-09-2006, 05:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need a little help with my outdoor area. Its made of bricks and moss
and weeds coming threw. it has direct sunlight but is always moist.
Cant change it as im only renting. Can anyone recommed a weed killer
that kills both weeds but is gentle around pets.

I can't think of the product name, but the old guy (Graeme?) on Better
Homes and Gardens used a product to clean up a damp, mossy and slippery
paved area.
It inhibited the growth of the mould and moss on the rocks and pavers in the
entertaining area.
I don't know what its like around pets.
Amanda

Old 26-09-2006, 06:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

FlowerGirl wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I need a little help with my outdoor area. Its made of bricks and moss
and weeds coming threw. it has direct sunlight but is always moist.
Cant change it as im only renting. Can anyone recommed a weed killer
that kills both weeds but is gentle around pets.

I can't think of the product name, but the old guy (Graeme?) on Better
Homes and Gardens used a product to clean up a damp, mossy and slippery
paved area.
It inhibited the growth of the mould and moss on the rocks and pavers in the
entertaining area.
I don't know what its like around pets.
Amanda

Usually the killer in this case is some type of fungicide.
Anything containg copper or zinc will do the job.
I have clean roof under some zinc covered antenna staywires where water
regularrly drops of the wires. Everywhere else we have moss.
You can probalby use copper sulphate (blue stone) used for making
bordaux paste.

Old 26-09-2006, 09:35 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in message
I need a little help with my outdoor area. Its made of bricks and

moss
and weeds coming threw. it has direct sunlight but is always moist.
Cant change it as im only renting. Can anyone recommed a weed killer
that kills both weeds but is gentle around pets.

Yes. Boiling water. It will kill weeds coming up between bricks and
all it costs is time.

Old 26-09-2006, 09:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message

for broadleafed and many other weeds growing on/in paths or patios

etc, just
boil the kettle & pour the boiling water on them. (magic). (the only

type of
weed that this treatment just won't work for is tough spindly

grasses you
can't flatten enough to give them a decent dose of boiling water.)

failing
all that, roundup or zero, but go the boiling water first. they'll

die
immediately, or they won't - then you can proceed to plan b only if

they
don't.

:-)) Blast. I didn't read your very sensible response before I
recommended the same thing. Glad to see that there is another person
around who appreciates the old boiling water trick :-))

Old 26-09-2006, 12:12 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"0tterbot" wrote in message

for broadleafed and many other weeds growing on/in paths or patios

etc, just
boil the kettle & pour the boiling water on them. (magic). (the only

type of
weed that this treatment just won't work for is tough spindly

grasses you
can't flatten enough to give them a decent dose of boiling water.)

failing
all that, roundup or zero, but go the boiling water first. they'll

die
immediately, or they won't - then you can proceed to plan b only if

they
don't.

:-)) Blast. I didn't read your very sensible response before I
recommended the same thing. Glad to see that there is another person
around who appreciates the old boiling water trick :-))

it must be a genius idea if two people suggested it!
kylie

Old 27-09-2006, 08:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message

for broadleafed and many other weeds growing on/in paths or

patios
etc, just
boil the kettle & pour the boiling water on them. (magic).

:-)) Blast. I didn't read your very sensible response before I
recommended the same thing. Glad to see that there is another

person
around who appreciates the old boiling water trick :-))

it must be a genius idea if two people suggested it!

:-)) It could be but then it could also just be two people who try an
organic approach before anything else.

Old 30-09-2006, 12:50 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default weed control Try Salt

You could try salt along the cracks - depending on how much area you have to
cover - it will soak into the soil and stop weeds for a long time.

Cheers,
Geoff