Old 10-02-2007, 09:32 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Water Woes: Traveston Crossing Dam = Damn Travesty Crossed

Water Woes: Traveston Crossing Dam = Damn Travesty, Crossed!!!

Maybe a bit OT for some, but some interesting links.
From the Courier Mail "Water Blog"

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SteveTrav

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhgSC4RkbeQ

http://www.savethemaryriver.com/foru...pic.php?t=2000

http://blogs.news.com.au/couriermail...mments/drought

Rob

Old 19-02-2007, 10:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

robnshel wrote:

The usual "Greenie" rubbish.

SEQ needs water.

Dam the Mary River and any other river that provides a good
source of water. Infrastructure satisfies requirements.

If the greenies don't want dams then go suck the sap of a leaf
and the majority of us will appreciate the reticulation of our
needed lifeblood of water.

Stop being regressive and go hug a tree.

Drago
Old 19-02-2007, 07:34 PM posted to aus.gardens

Drago wrote:
robnshel wrote:

The usual "Greenie" rubbish.

SEQ needs water.

Dam the Mary River and any other river that provides a good
source of water. Infrastructure satisfies requirements.

If the greenies don't want dams then go suck the sap of a leaf
and the majority of us will appreciate the reticulation of our
needed lifeblood of water.

Stop being regressive and go hug a tree.

Drago

Wish it was that simple.
A lot hangs of a river, and diversion causes that wildlife, whether on
the land or in the sea, to be terminally ill.
For instance if we were to divert the river through dragos place we would
1) make him happy,
2)but drown poor old Drago. (I never saw that coming)
3)Create wealth and poverty for some.
4)Kill wildlife dependent on the fresh water in the lower part of the river
5)Prevent any fish dependent on breeding in that particular river having
an adequate sex life, preventing breeding
6) Allow the biggest threat to the ecology, man to further screw up the
ecology
7)Prevent the wars created by famine, that should naturally level man's
population growth.

To solve the whole problem of course would be to find some sort of
system where every human being would become sterile starting with DRAGO
and other unthinking SOB's like him.

Or let the planet solve the problem by making the temperature hostile to
all life, stopping the reason why its overheating, to see who the
fittest really is. Man would eventually die as technology can only hang
on so long.
End of problem for planet earth. A new start for all life as we know it.
Crocodiles will rule?

PS I'm not really serious. Drago's is still needed as an example of what
you would not want to be.
Old 19-02-2007, 08:14 PM posted to aus.gardens

I am not a greenie as such but this dam seems ill conceived, in that there
are questions about its location, depth and capacity to hold water. Let
alone it taking some of the prime dairy land in Queensland. I would like to
see something done about the redirection of flood waters that we lose
yearly.

Old 19-02-2007, 08:52 PM posted to aus.gardens

I realise by watching those vids that it all could be just propaganda.

There aren't any schemes afaik to network water resources from FNQ.

Any more dams built are built on assumption that there will be rain to fill
them.
More rain isn't guaranteed.

I don't know what "the usual Greenie rubbish is" but think looking at all
aspects of any proposition & listening to all pro & con debate is fair,
rather than dismissing with ridicule.

Rob

Old 19-02-2007, 10:17 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Drago" wrote in message
robnshel wrote:

The usual "Greenie" rubbish.

SEQ needs water.

Dam the Mary River and any other river that provides a good
source of water. Infrastructure satisfies requirements.

If the greenies don't want dams then go suck the sap of a leaf
and the majority of us will appreciate the reticulation of our
needed lifeblood of water.

Stop being regressive and go hug a tree.

Drago

More rain isnt guaranteed?
There has always been rain and there always will be.
Dams are storage areas.
No storage, no capacity to store, and no water saved.
Its like saying no point in saving, as you're not guaranteed a job.
So you make things happen.
We at least are able to reverse trends, but alas I see attitudes need to
be changed as it's going to have to be on a large scale.
On you point, we should also then remove what dams we have.
Then go chasing the rain with buckets to catch a few drops.
Water gathering now needs to be done on a larger scale.
Either that or we all die due to lack of water.
To conserve water we need to look at population increases, and wasteful
methods in industrial uses of water, and stop industries who dont fit
into the picture.
Old 20-02-2007, 11:43 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Drago" wrote in message
robnshel wrote:

The usual "Greenie" rubbish.

SEQ needs water.

Dam the Mary River and any other river that provides a good
source of water. Infrastructure satisfies requirements.

If the greenies don't want dams then go suck the sap of a leaf
and the majority of us will appreciate the reticulation of our
needed lifeblood of water.

Stop being regressive and go hug a tree.

Drago

More rain isn't guaranteed?
There has always been rain and there always will be.

Climate is changing.

Dams are storage areas.
No storage, no capacity to store, and no water saved.

Fair enough.

Its like saying no point in saving, as you're not guaranteed a job.

If you don't earn enough to cover your bills.

So you make things happen.
We at least are able to reverse trends, but alas I see attitudes need to
be changed as it's going to have to be on a large scale.

Sure.

On you point, we should also then remove what dams we have.

Why remove existing ones???
Then go chasing the rain with buckets to catch a few drops.

You can if you like.

Water gathering now needs to be done on a larger scale.
Either that or we all die due to lack of water.

I don't think so.

To conserve water we need to look at population increases, and wasteful
methods in industrial uses of water, and stop industries who don't fit
into the picture.

Industry is the biggest waster. We'd end up paying more either with
purchases or in the form of taxes to subsidise industry.

I couldn't give a FF where dams are built. I wouldn't blindly trust a
bureaucrat on telling me what the best resolve is without listening to other
opinions. AFAIK there has been some acknowledgement from the "powers that
be" that the Traveston Dam has not yet been fully & properly researched in
reference to it possibly being too shallow & leaky to be of any worth.
We might just end up with a Traveston Dam if some bureaucrat has to move
shop & can cash-in on the project.

Rob

Old 21-02-2007, 01:10 AM posted to aus.gardens

robnshel wrote:

"Drago" wrote in message
robnshel wrote:

[...]

Yeah We need people like yourself.