Old 08-01-2008, 03:14 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default recommendations for lawn alternative

Linda wrote:
Hi, we have a small backyard with a beautiful big tree and lots of shade
during the summer which is great for the kids - not having to worry about
sunscreen when they play outside. It does mean of course that lawn won't
grow -

Do not know of anything that will handle shade and kids unless you
select a mulch you like like pea(nut) straw which s generally finer cut
and softer.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:40 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
Linda wrote:
Hi, we have a small backyard with a beautiful big tree and lots of shade
during the summer which is great for the kids - not having to worry about
sunscreen when they play outside. It does mean of course that lawn won't
grow -

Do not know of anything that will handle shade and kids unless you select
a mulch you like like pea(nut) straw which s generally finer cut and
softer.

Not sure about peanut straw depends on where it comes from, could have some
noxious weeds in it, but I do know that pea straw is good mulch

Old 09-01-2008, 12:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

George W. Frost wrote:

Not sure about peanut straw depends on where it comes from, could have some
noxious weeds in it, but I do know that pea straw is good mulch

Well, the pea straw we have been buying at Mitre10 is actually peanut
straw, complete with a few shells.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
George W. Frost wrote:

Not sure about peanut straw depends on where it comes from, could have
some noxious weeds in it, but I do know that pea straw is good mulch

Well, the pea straw we have been buying at Mitre10 is actually peanut
straw, complete with a few shells.

Point taken, but as I said, depends on where the straw came from and of
coarse, where you are

Star burr or goat's head

Acanthospermum hispidum, a noxious weed in the Northern Territory and

prohibited from entry to Western Australia, has been found in the

Maffra area of Gippsland. It was accidentally brought into Victoria

in a load of peanut straw from Queensland in March 2004. A small

number of plants have appeared during summer and autumn this

year on one property where the straw was used. More of this fodder was

purchased by other landholders and it is feared that the plant might gain a

foothold in Victoria for the first time.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

"George W. Frost" wrote in message
"Terryc" wrote in message

Do not know of anything that will handle shade and kids unless you select
a mulch you like like pea(nut) straw which s generally finer cut and
softer.

Not sure about peanut straw depends on where it comes from, could have
some noxious weeds in it, but I do know that pea straw is good mulch

:-)) I've heard of peanut hulls for mulch. Peanut straw is a one I've yet
to hear of, but would give it if it's the right price.