Old 03-02-2008, 08:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Calling Len

Len

Do you have pictures posted on your website of the outlet hose from your
washing machine on to the lawn?

I gather you run a hose out of the back of the WM onto the lawn.

Are you able to link me to photos that show your hook up from WM to lawn?

Much appreciated if yes.

rob

Old 03-02-2008, 08:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

"George.com" wrote in message
Len

Do you have pictures posted on your website of the outlet hose from your
washing machine on to the lawn?

I gather you run a hose out of the back of the WM onto the lawn.

Are you able to link me to photos that show your hook up from WM to lawn?

Much appreciated if yes.

rob

I have a freind who has his washing machimne outlet going out to his grass
but he lives in Moe, which is close to Ya lawn

Old 03-02-2008, 06:18 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day rob,

no pic's i could do if need be provide some but it is a standard sort
of ribbed/concertina style hose like a vacuum hose very flexible they
come in standard lengths all set up to connect to the machine hose
buyt them from most hardware stores we got our from that bunning
store, they are in black or i have seen grey colour.

let me know if you still want pic's

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 21:07:01 +1300, "George.com"
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Old 04-02-2008, 03:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

George.com wrote:
Len

Do you have pictures posted on your website of the outlet hose from your
washing machine on to the lawn?

I gather you run a hose out of the back of the WM onto the lawn.

Are you able to link me to photos that show your hook up from WM to lawn?

No pics.
Basically, any hose will do, but generally the larger the better. Things
to consider are the outlet height above the ground that you are watering.

In a previous setup, I used 5m of 25mm/1" clear plastic tubing from
hardware or Clark rubber.

The washing machine emptied into sink and the sink outlet was plastic
pipe, so after the S bend, I cut a section out and installed a diverter
switch. In this case, the laundry was on a slab below the level ofthe
house,so the divertor pipe just poked through a hole in the fibro wall
to run the house piers and out to the garden/lawn.

for the rebuild, I'm going to need to get a tile cutter to make the hole
through the floor tiles under the sink first.

The pblem with the clear plastic hose is that it can kink.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day rob,

no pic's i could do if need be provide some but it is a standard sort
of ribbed/concertina style hose like a vacuum hose very flexible they
come in standard lengths all set up to connect to the machine hose
buyt them from most hardware stores we got our from that bunning
store, they are in black or i have seen grey colour.

let me know if you still want pic's

So you have a one run hose out to the garden Len? I do know the type you
mean, the standard outlet hose that comes with the machine but longer.

I basically want to rig a bodge job for a few dollars. The outlet hose is
quite a bit bigger than a standard garden hose. I don't want to pay much
money for any hosing if possible. Unless I can get my hands on 20 odd
lengths of the WM outlet hose & find a simple way of joining them I think I
may be stuck with a smaller diameter hose (like garden hose) & some
mechanism to have to narrow the diameter down. Bunnings here would charge
about $6 per metre length which runs out to around $100 bucks for something
that would do the back lawn. Too much for my liking. If you have any bright
ideas let me know. I will report back on my progress.

Thanks
Rob

Old 04-02-2008, 04:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
George.com wrote:
[...]

I plan to hook the WM outlet hose out a cat flap in the window next to it &
connect some length of hose on to that & drape it on the lawn. The WM pump
should get the water out onto the lawn ok. Problem is the WM outlet hose is
quite a bit bigger than garden hose. I don't want to pay much money for any
hosing if possible (purpose made pipe will be likely about $100). Unless I
can get my hands on 20 odd lengths of the WM outlet hose & find a simple way
of joining them I think I may be stuck with a smaller diameter hose (like
garden hose) & some mechanism to have to narrow the diameter down. If you
have any bright ideas to my dilemma please fell free to share them.

Thanks
Rob

Old 04-02-2008, 05:33 AM posted to aus.gardens

George.com wrote:

I basically want to rig a bodge job for a few dollars. The outlet hose
is quite a bit bigger than a standard garden hose. I don't want to pay
much money for any hosing if possible. Unless I can get my hands on 20
odd lengths of the WM outlet hose & find a simple way of joining them I
think I may be stuck with a smaller diameter hose (like garden hose) &
some mechanism to have to narrow the diameter down. Bunnings here would
charge about $6 per metre length which runs out to around $100 bucks for
something that would do the back lawn. Too much for my liking. If you
have any bright ideas let me know. I will report back on my progress.

Using standard garden hose is not going to work, unless the washing
machine empties into a surge tub (laundry sink?). If you try and use the
wm pump to pump it that length, you will end up burning it out.

Sounds like you are just goingto have to bite the bullet and buy stuff
unless yuou want to scavenge vacume cleaner hosing or such.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

George.com wrote:

I plan to hook the WM outlet hose out a cat flap in the window next to
it & connect some length of hose on to that & drape it on the lawn. The
WM pump should get the water out onto the lawn ok. Problem is the WM
outlet hose is quite a bit bigger than garden hose. I don't want to pay
much money for any hosing if possible (purpose made pipe will be likely
about $100). Unless I can get my hands on 20 odd lengths of the WM
outlet hose & find a simple way of joining them I think I may be stuck
with a smaller diameter hose (like garden hose) & some mechanism to have
to narrow the diameter down. If you have any bright ideas to my dilemma
please fell free to share them.

If you have any old plastic barrells around (20l+?, preferrably
biggerr), discharge the WM outlet into that to act as a surge tank.

Sounds like you could just position that outside the window, Either on
the ground with a feed pipe with funnel on top, or on a shelf that wm
outlet pipe can empty into.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
George.com wrote:

I basically want to rig a bodge job for a few dollars. The outlet hose is
quite a bit bigger than a standard garden hose. I don't want to pay much
money for any hosing if possible. Unless I can get my hands on 20 odd
lengths of the WM outlet hose & find a simple way of joining them I think
I may be stuck with a smaller diameter hose (like garden hose) & some
mechanism to have to narrow the diameter down. Bunnings here would charge
about $6 per metre length which runs out to around $100 bucks for
something that would do the back lawn. Too much for my liking. If you
have any bright ideas let me know. I will report back on my progress.

Using standard garden hose is not going to work, unless the washing
machine empties into a surge tub (laundry sink?). If you try and use the
wm pump to pump it that length, you will end up burning it out.

you mean the pump will burn out if I try to force water through a NARROWER
diameter pipe? Or it will burn out if I try & pump the water 20 odd metres
down the SAME diameter pipe?

Sounds like you are just goingto have to bite the bullet and buy stuff
unless yuou want to scavenge vacume cleaner hosing or such.

I had a look round this evening & reckon I can salvage the outlet hoses from
a range of second hand dumper washing machines. If I stop bye a couple of
the big whiteware outlets & maybe bung the stores man a box of beer he may
collect them for me. The outlet hose fits onto a connection with a butterfly
clip. On the inside of the machine is another connection fixture where the
same diameter pipe feeds from the WM tub. I reckon that connection fixture
holds the key to me being able to bodge together 20 m of pipe. It won't look
pretty but it will likely do the job, dependent on your answer to my
question above.

My wife may let me get away with a crap looking length of pipe but not
likely a big bin outside the window.

rob

Old 04-02-2008, 07:24 AM posted to aus.gardens

"George.com" wrote in message

"Terryc" wrote in message
George.com wrote:

[...]

What i mean is shown in this picture at top right. White outlet hose at the
bottom, black internal pipe heading off to the left of the picture. Both
pipes hook onto a double ended plastic fitting. If I can yank those out of
all the old dumper WM then it will allow me to connect up the lengths of
piping. Maybe $15 for a box of beer.
http://www.danielbowen.com/2006/05/1...shing-machine/

Old 04-02-2008, 12:27 PM posted to aus.gardens

George.com wrote:

you mean the pump will burn out if I try to force water through a
NARROWER diameter pipe? Or it will burn out if I try & pump the water 20
odd metres down the SAME diameter pipe?

Both. My understanding of WM pumps are that they are generally designed
to pump out the WM for a maximum head of about 1 metre, aka the height
of the generic laundry tub.

My wife may let me get away with a crap looking length of pipe but not
likely a big bin outside the window.

2nd hand laundry tub with a couple of water (or water loving) plants in
it in pots {:-).

Old 04-02-2008, 12:29 PM posted to aus.gardens

George.com wrote:

What i mean is shown in this picture at top right. White outlet hose at
the bottom, black internal pipe heading off to the left of the picture.
Both pipes hook onto a double ended plastic fitting. If I can yank those
out of all the old dumper WM then it will allow me to connect up the
lengths of piping. Maybe $15 for a box of beer.
http://www.danielbowen.com/2006/05/1...shing-machine/

Hmm, what my real interest in your post was "a box of beer for $15" and
I don't drink.

Yer, they should be fine. You just have to work out how to join them.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:49 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day rob,

just with the washing machine don't use a hose of lessor diameter than
that the machine already has. i bought 2 lengths of that stuff i
mentioned earlier and they push together to make one long length when
i need it.

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 17:50:11 +1300, "George.com"
wrote:

"len gardener" wrote in message
.. .
g'day rob,

Old 04-02-2008, 05:56 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day rob,

the pipe i am talking about looks similar or like that white one
coming out of the bottom picture side of the pump.

not sure you can scavange enough to make a good length from older
washing machines? but might turn out not so dear to buy a length of
the other as you can afford it.

the washing machine pump isn't designed to pump water under lots of
pressure, so could be damaged if you try to make it do that ie.,. it
is not recommeneded to use the wash machine pump to pump water up a
long steep slope, using the pipe like i have is all for the same plain
or downhill.

Len Wanda Too Australia 1 09-02-2004 07:02 PM
Len Dwayne Australia 1 17-12-2003 09:02 AM
Len Wanda Australia 0 16-12-2003 08:34 AM
Len Judanne Permaculture 5 07-10-2003 02:49 AM
Calling dr solo, Calling dr solo FBCS Ponds 9 11-09-2003 07:09 AM