Old 25-02-2008, 06:42 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Doing what.....?

It's been a bit dull in here for days so I assume that everyone is busy with
Autumn tasks.

What are you up to in the garden?

I've been tidying up very messy beds and watering deeply but even after
about 3 hours one section of one bed was as dry as a chip today. I've been
planting some silene vulgaris (Bladderwort - an old favourite) and buying
sweet pea seeds and broad bean seeds planning where I'm going to put them.

Old 25-02-2008, 09:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

It's been a bit dull in here for days so I assume that everyone is busy with
Autumn tasks.

What are you up to in the garden?

Murdering cute, defenceless children. See blog.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Old 25-02-2008, 10:56 AM posted to aus.gardens

It's been a bit dull in here for days so I assume that everyone is busy
with Autumn tasks.

What are you up to in the garden?

I've been tidying up very messy beds and watering deeply but even after
about 3 hours one section of one bed was as dry as a chip today. I've
been planting some silene vulgaris (Bladderwort - an old favourite) and
buying sweet pea seeds and broad bean seeds planning where I'm going to
put them.

Today I was planting around 800 bulbs seeds. Tomorrow will plant more and
all my spring bulbs as well.

Rick

Old 25-02-2008, 11:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

It's been a bit dull in here for days so I assume that everyone is busy with
Autumn tasks.

What are you up to in the garden?

I've been tidying up very messy beds and watering deeply but even after
about 3 hours one section of one bed was as dry as a chip today. I've been
planting some silene vulgaris (Bladderwort - an old favourite) and buying
sweet pea seeds and broad bean seeds planning where I'm going to put them.

Slashing/mowing for days. Horses not eating fast enough.

David

Old 25-02-2008, 11:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
It's been a bit dull in here for days so I assume that everyone is busy with
Autumn tasks.

What are you up to in the garden?

I've been tidying up very messy beds and watering deeply but even after
about 3 hours one section of one bed was as dry as a chip today. I've been
planting some silene vulgaris (Bladderwort - an old favourite) and buying
sweet pea seeds and broad bean seeds planning where I'm going to put them.

getting ready to travel once again....

Old 25-02-2008, 09:59 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

It's been a bit dull in here for days so I assume that everyone is busy
with Autumn tasks.

What are you up to in the garden?

I've been tidying up very messy beds and watering deeply but even after
about 3 hours one section of one bed was as dry as a chip today. I've
been planting some silene vulgaris (Bladderwort - an old favourite) and
buying sweet pea seeds and broad bean seeds planning where I'm going to
put them.

Zippo zilch nothing. We just had a flood & the sand flies to which I am
alergic are swarming. So no garden & besides moving in 6 weeks. A new garden
to start & NO sandflies there. Yea!!!!!!!

Old 26-02-2008, 03:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

It's been a bit dull in here for days so I assume that everyone is busy
with
Autumn tasks.

What are you up to in the garden?

Murdering cute, defenceless children. See blog.

Aaaaah! You need a couple of Jack Russells. Mine are very skilled ratters
and don't ask for much but do like a nice lounge to lie on in the afternoons
for their post prandial snooze.

Where were the blighters hidden?

Old 26-02-2008, 03:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Loosecanon" wrote in message

Today I was planting around 800 bulbs seeds. Tomorrow will plant more and
all my spring bulbs as well.

So what sort of bulb seeds and what sort of bulbs? I've been looking at
bulbs and don't think I can resist more daffs and jonquils in as bright as
yellow as possible. Might even try a few pink daffs.

Old 26-02-2008, 03:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

Slashing/mowing for days. Horses not eating fast enough.

:-(((( Still getting rain up your way I assume??

Old 26-02-2008, 04:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

Slashing/mowing for days. Horses not eating fast enough.

:-(((( Still getting rain up your way I assume??

It hasn't rained more than a sprinkle for 10 days, prior to that 240mm in two
weeks, so we have had a chance to get out and do stuff that has been
impossible. However, storms are brewing right now .....

I would love to be renovating the garden, which has had little attention this
summer, and planting cool season annuals etc but this will have to wait til
the paddocks are clean.

David

Old 26-02-2008, 10:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Loosecanon" wrote in message

Today I was planting around 800 bulbs seeds. Tomorrow will plant more and
all my spring bulbs as well.

So what sort of bulb seeds and what sort of bulbs? I've been looking at
bulbs and don't think I can resist more daffs and jonquils in as bright as
yellow as possible. Might even try a few pink daffs.

The bulb and corm seed I have planted are Babiana, Onixotis & Galtonia, I
have some others to do as well. Bulbs and corms I have planted include
Babiana pulchra, Babiana villosa, Babiana stricta (white form), Sparaxis
grandiflora, Sparaxis elegans, Tritonia deusta, Ornithagalum arabica,
Ornithagalum thyroides and some Moraea's tomorrow. So far 2 days planting
and hopefully over tomorrow.

Cheers

Richard

Old 27-02-2008, 05:17 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

Slashing/mowing for days. Horses not eating fast enough.

:-(((( Still getting rain up your way I assume??

It hasn't rained more than a sprinkle for 10 days, prior to that 240mm in
two
weeks, so we have had a chance to get out and do stuff that has been
impossible. However, storms are brewing right now .....

Well we could take some off your hands if you'd like to share some......????

I would love to be renovating the garden, which has had little attention
this
summer, and planting cool season annuals etc but this will have to wait
til
the paddocks are clean.

Well I think the cooler weather is a better time to be doing it rahter than
in the summer, but then I hate that hot weather while I know some people
thrive on it. I go into hibernation in the summer.

Old 27-02-2008, 05:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Loosecanon" wrote in message
"Loosecanon" wrote in message

Today I was planting around 800 bulbs seeds. Tomorrow will plant more
and all my spring bulbs as well.

So what sort of bulb seeds and what sort of bulbs? I've been looking at
bulbs and don't think I can resist more daffs and jonquils in as bright
as yellow as possible. Might even try a few pink daffs.

The bulb and corm seed I have planted are Babiana, Onixotis & Galtonia, I
have some others to do as well. Bulbs and corms I have planted include
Babiana pulchra, Babiana villosa, Babiana stricta (white form), Sparaxis
grandiflora, Sparaxis elegans, Tritonia deusta, Ornithagalum arabica,
Ornithagalum thyroides and some Moraea's tomorrow. So far 2 days planting
and hopefully over tomorrow.

That sounds like a nice mix. Are the Galtonias the really big ones? Or
have I got it muddled up as I thought there were at least 2 varieties of
these?????

Old 27-02-2008, 12:12 PM posted to aus.gardens

Well I think the cooler weather is a better time to be doing it rahter than
in the summer, but then I hate that hot weather while I know some people
thrive on it. I go into hibernation in the summer.

Unless climate change is having some really bizarre results in your area that
would be estivation :-)

David

Old 27-02-2008, 12:47 PM posted to aus.gardens

[...]

They look large type. They were Galtonia candicans if that means anything to
you. I purchased the seed to see how they would go. They looked the variety
from the pics I looked at.